Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of Beaver Cheese and other important stuff - does anybody have a simple/r(than the ones I Googled) method of making pickled pork - the good kind suitible for red beans and rice?

Might as well make this thread work for a living.

heh heh heh - .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Speaking of Beaver Cheese and other important stuff - does anybody have a simple/r(than the ones I Googled) method of making pickled pork - the good kind suitible for red beans and rice?

heh heh heh - .
Well, if you want andouille here's a recipe for that...
Andouille

It has been really hot all day and right now it suddenly started to HAIL really hard!!! So bad I wonder if my windows will break. Wind is blowing about a zillion mph. Thunder, lightning. WEIRD. This is HUGE hail maybe 1/2", and the winds had me hiding in the hallway for a minute just now. Totally out of the blue. Almost blew my front doors open so thank goodness I have 4 deadbolts. That's nearly as strong as Hurricane Cindy was. Seems to be calming down a little though loud thunder.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d View Post
back on topic please! if he was your friend how could he be a stranger, and if he was bald headed, how could he have hair "on the sides"? a white dove never flies at night.

God Bless Us All
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Luv this thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lovethisthread.jpg (90.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
I prefer to call it thread morphing. Some of the best threads in this and other forums develop when the subject drifts from the OP's intent.

Maybe it's due to the space warp thingy.
I agree. I try to imagine I'm at a cocktail party. If the topic starts out as 401(k) funds selection but drifts into knockers-powered generators, I will go with the flow and not dictate to everyone in the conversation circle that the topic is 401(k) funds selection rather than knockers-powered generators.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
The patriots, and no matter who's playing I'll be serving some sausage related product and at least 3 things wrapped in bacon.

It might be cheap bacon if the economy doesnt turn around, but given the presidential election climate who knows.

Anyone ever try giving vasectomies to chiggers?
Ah, CFB, I hear an earful before this year's Superbowl. All I would say was that it will be a close and good game judging by the last game of the regular season, and it was, and it was very, very good.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

It's way too early for super bowl planning . What is everybody cooking for the fourth of July ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
'You can't hang a man for killing a woman trying to steal his horse.'

And to think I let a sweetie talk me out of my old pickup - with rusty fender and 251000 miles - right before the gas runup.

5 speed, 4 banger, 1994 GMC

heh heh heh - Blue Eyes Crying in The Rain is still my favorite Willie.. 4th fire works, Brats,kraut, horseradish, beans, coleslaw, green sh*t(pistachio salad). And whatever the crowd brings.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It's way too early for super bowl planning . What is everybody cooking for the fourth of July ?
Beer
Old 06-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
It has been really hot all day and right now it suddenly started to HAIL really hard!!! So bad I wonder if my windows will break. Wind is blowing about a zillion mph. Thunder, lightning. WEIRD. This is HUGE hail maybe 1/2", and the winds had me hiding in the hallway for a minute just now. Totally out of the blue. Almost blew my front doors open so thank goodness I have 4 deadbolts. That's nearly as strong as Hurricane Cindy was. Seems to be calming down a little though loud thunder.
This is just my personal preference, W2R, but if I was you I wouldn't be making my computer's hard drive try to keep spinning during those conditions...

You'll have to get back to us later. You're still with us, right? W2R?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
This is just my personal preference, W2R, but if I was you I wouldn't be making my computer's hard drive try to keep spinning during those conditions...

You'll have to get back to us later. You're still with us, right? W2R?!?
It's completely gone... just a brief, scary interlude. Weird, huh? My cable never went out which totally amazes me. I suppose I should go outside and see if my car looks all dimpled or what (I almost don't want to know).

Old 06-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I went outside to check for damage, and my neighbors were all doing the same. Some of them said that there were quite a few trees down blocking the major street two blocks over. Must have been a mini-tornado, though I didn't hear the freight train sounds that I have heard from tornados in the past. There was a lot of debris all over but I had no broken windows and my car seems to be OK - - so I must have overestimated the size of the hail, though it left pockmarks on my sidewalk.

And now, it's a quiet Louisiana night - -

The broadcast media reported hail measured at 0.88 inches in diameter. Why my car didn't get damaged, I do not know!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
And now, it's a quiet Louisiana night - -
Happy to hear you are safe!
Old 06-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #54

Quote:

heh heh heh - .
no, but pickles and pork sound good...like a cuban sandwich!
Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

You will be happy to know - it hails in Missouri also - something for when you make it to ER. Got some the first year after Katrina.

But - my two worst - New Orleans east and back packing the Maroon Bells (Colorado) above timberline in August - both in the 70's.

heh heh heh -
Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You will be happy to know - it hails in Missouri also - something for when you make it to ER. Got some the first year after Katrina.

But - my two worst - New Orleans east and back packing the Maroon Bells (Colorado) above timberline in August - both in the 70's.

heh heh heh -
I'm ready for that Missouri hail!! Bring it on. It couldn't be scarier than this was, for me (though this was very brief).

In Missouri, I plan to get a house with a garage - - that will keep my car safe in a hailstorm. Here, all I have is a driveway.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #57
gone traveling

How did this thread get so discombobulated without me?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

It all depends on whether you want to pay off your mortgage and invest the same monthly amount in the market or keep the mortgage and....

Or,

Buy an annuity and Whole Life Insurance.

Or,

Work until your are 70 and THEN take Social Security...

SteveR-------> backing away from the keyboard
Old 06-30-2008, 03:11 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Shouldn't this thread be the FAQs? Somewhere like what will I do all day.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #60

Ok. beaver cheese was mentioned, but could we switch gears and discuss farm raised vs. wild salmon, please and there hasnt been a "fat" thread in awhile...