Join Early Retirement Today

Tickets for the Masters: buy online or in Augusta?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tickets for the Masters: buy online or in Augusta?

Weather permitting, I'm going to a Masters practice round this year and am torn between buying the ticket from a reseller online, or trying to grab one the day of in Augusta. I've tried for 8 years to get a practice round ticket from the official drawing with no luck, and don't feel like waiting any longer!

Buying the tickets online is expensive - I'm probably looking at $400-$500 right now for a Tuesday ticket. Whether or not that would be more or less expensive as the date nears next month, I am not sure. I figure that buying online would at least guarantee me a ticket.

My other option would be to try to buy one somewhere in Augusta the day of the practice round. I'd have to stay 2700 feet away from the course to keep it legal, and to my knowledge would not be guaranteed a ticket. I just wonder if I might be able to get one significantly cheaper as a result.

Has anyone used either of these methods for acquiring a Masters ticket before?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can't provide much help but going to the Master's is on my bucket list so definitely fill us in on how it works out. I've also entered the Master's lottery drawing every year since they started offering it but no luck. I think the number of tickets being offered in the drawing is very limited and most still go to the annual badge holders. Getting on the annual badge holder list is probably the toughest ticket in sports. I currently see someone on eBay selling two practice round tickets with multiple bids, the bidding is already up to $1800.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I would thinking spending the $ will be well worth the enjoyment and memories. Myself, I would pay up front and have the ticket in hand to eliminate concerns and stress. Make it all about having fun. And everyday is one day closer to the last
Go for it!

I've watched The Masters since 1980 and it continues to be my favorite sports event equal with the NCAA basketball tourney.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very hard tickets to get. I'd bite the bullet and buy tickets online (I'm seeing $650 for practice rounds) vs risking coming up empty handed (or busted, or fakes) looking for a scalper, but it's your call.

I was at the 89 Masters that Sat & Sun (Faldo-Hoch playoff), you won't be disappointed - definitely a bucket list item. You can't see the extreme contours or full beauty of the course on TV, it's incredible in person.

The back nine on Sun at the Masters is one of the greatest events in sports there is.

Best of luck, worth every penny IMO.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have been very lucky in the lottery, won twice in two years. There is a ton of people in the parking lot looking for tickets. I didn't see anybody having any success in getting tickets.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Never been but would love too. Unless you lived nearby, I wouldn't want to put myself through the stress of trying to snag one that week. It is not going to be cheap no matter what, so it would seem prudent to buy before and not worry. My bucket list would include scaling the wall just before dawn somewhere on the course and play until I got arrested. Getting roughed up, thrown in jail a few days and paying a fine would seem well worth the cost of saying I played the course!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I probably will end up buying the tickets beforehand, though I'm not sure how early. I'd like to have some idea that the weather is not going to be bad before I buy, so I might wait till about 10 days beforehand. Though who knows what the tickets will cost then...

Ah heck with it, I might just wait until I win the drawing someday.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

If you have a choice for tickets, Wednesday is the best practice day. The Par Three Tournament was great. A lot of the older players were there.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Any suggestions fore hotel, other interesting activities in Augusta?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my working days I've been to Ft. Gordon a few times and stayed in Augusta. Mostly business type hotels, Hampton Inn, Courtyard, etc., definitely not enough capacity to handle a Master's crowd. I know a lot of the locals rent their homes out during the week and make some good cash. Be prepared for a long commute if you can find a hotel, especially last minute.