Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought Tiger Woods looked terrified, like he was living his worst nightmare. I think he also looked like he had been medicated, probably for that reason.

On the other hand, I really don't think his sexual habits are any of my business. Whether he works things out with Elin, or not, is not really my business either even if he does play great golf.

In my opinion he needs to stop talking about his sex life and get back to some intensive golf. Elin may leave him, but golf will remain.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #242
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not to make a to fine of a point on the spin way back... but he actually said (the real quote)... "I did not have sexual relations with that woman..."... and if you actually read the definitions... he did not... I still think he lied and cheated, just like Tiger lied and cheated... One was a abuse of power, the other just consenting adults doing what they do...
My quote marks were to indicate what I was hoping Tiger would say. No reference to any hysterical historical figure was implied or intended.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #243
Give me a forum ...

My husband was of the opinion that Tiger should have traveled with his family, I don't think he understands how disruptive that can be for children. I think he should have cut back his schedule and spent more time at home.

However, some men feel they are entitled to sex when and how they want it. They do not see a sexual relationship in the context of a loving relationship that requires the balancing desires of both parties. Sexual selfishness is a personality flaw, or perhaps better described as immaturity.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #244
Recycles dryer sheets

For everyone that says the apology was completely insincere and not heartfelt. (I didn't watch it) Isn't that pretty much how Tiger has come across any time you have ever seen him interviewed, he just seems emotionless, going through the motions. Maybe the guy is just a socially awkward jerk who, but for his money and fame, nobody but his mother really enjoys being around...
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 AM   #245
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
For everyone that says the apology was completely insincere and not heartfelt. (I didn't watch it) Isn't that pretty much how Tiger has come across any time you have ever seen him interviewed, he just seems emotionless, going through the motions. Maybe the guy is just a socially awkward jerk who, but for his money and fame, nobody but his mother really enjoys being around...
I think your comments match what I'm seeing in terms of peer support. His peers have by and large left Tiger hanging. Very little "rallying around" other than the folks who worry about the gravy train he powers.

I play a lot of golf in San Diego and nobody seems to wish the guy well, so your comment about "socially arrogant jerk" is likely close to accurate.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I think your comments match what I'm seeing in terms of peer support. His peers have by and large left Tiger hanging. Very little "rallying around" other than the folks who worry about the gravy train he powers.

I play a lot of golf in San Diego and nobody seems to wish the guy well, so your comment about "socially arrogant jerk" is likely close to accurate.
I pretty much agree. But you would be amazed how many people support him on golf message boards. Yes, I'm a golf fanatic.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #247
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I pretty much agree. But you would be amazed how many people support him on golf message boards. Yes, I'm a golf fanatic.
Yes, but (with all due respect) the folks on the golf boards most likely don't know Tiger.
He's been told he was a "genius" since he was just out of toddlerhood, so I can only assume he is an isolated, aloof, arrogant, totally narcissistic guy. What else could he be with the life he's led so far?
Tiger's two buddies were Charles Barkley and another basketball champ (forgot who), and Tiger cut them off when this happened from what I saw on tv as Barkley was saying he couldn't get Tiger on the cell as the number was disconnected.
Tiger pretty much explained why he felt entitled to cheat in his speech. Seems pretty accurate to me that he felt "entitled" due to having worked so hard all his life.That's not saying it's right, tho.
The life of a wunderkind HAS to be an unreal/abnormal one: no playing baseball with the guys after school, no prom, no Boy Scouts, etc. He didn't get the normal socialization most of us get as he was always with adults for most of his life. Where's the typical "boy stuff" in his life? Seems he did make lots of sacrifices to be the great athlete he became (and I'm talking about on an emotional/social level of life).
Old 02-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
I don't know. To be as consistently great as he is, especially under pressure, I think there must be some "mental training" going on to make you more, well, "robotic" (for lack of a better term) or more like a Vulcan from Star Trek. In any event, maybe Tiger has "trained the emotion" out of himself to some extent to help make him a better golfer less prone to choking in the clutch?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't know. To be as consistently great as he is, especially under pressure, I think there must be some "mental training" going on to make you more, well, "robotic" (for lack of a better term) or more like a Vulcan from Star Trek. In any event, maybe Tiger has "trained the emotion" out of himself to some extent to help make him a better golfer less prone to choking in the clutch?
Sounds right to me. That would make the act of sex all the more "freeing" for Tiger emotionally I should think...not condoning what he did, by the way.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #250
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I wonder if a lot of that support is because he truly is THE face of the sport right now. If you recall Palmer, Nicklaus, and Player, it was often a 3-way split as to who the fan's favorite was. But Tiger is basically all there is. Mickelson, Els, etc are just not sexy enough.

I have two golfing buddies who play every day if they can, one (who has never met Tiger) would lick the grass clippings off Tiger's shoes on the 18th hole of Augusta and the other (who has met Tiger a few times) would not wet down his face if it were on fire.

So I suspect knowing him up close is not to love him. And for the reasons Orchidflower mentions, he must be a very contrived personage.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

While this discussion is focused on Tiger I believe there is a bigger lesson here that we can teach our children, particulary daughters. It is important to consider the maturity of the person you choose to become involved with, let alone marry.

I don't think Tiger is a 'bad' person, just that he is not mature in an intimate sense. My sister married a man with similar deficiencies but our parents had no way to identify the issue. The family left it to her to select her spouse.

I don't know what the solution might be.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #252

Twitter / John Stamos: tiger woods = dumb ass - w ...

Well, there's one opinion....
Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Elin may leave him, but golf will remain.
One thing we have not considered- Elin may be a gold plated pita. I don't like the look on her face- can we say Ice Maiden?

It's all a media circus, to distract us from things that might actually matter.

Ha
Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
One thing we have not considered- Elin may be a gold plated pita. I don't like the look on her face- can we say Ice Maiden?

It's all a media circus, to distract us from things that might actually matter.

Ha
Ok I'll admit I have a weak spot for Scandinavian blonds with great bodies, but you also have to give the girl credit for not wrapping a 9 iron around his head, like the SNL skit showed. No jury in the country would have convicted her of the assault.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #255

From another forum !

In Defense of Tiger Woods and Good Fun Sex

Why does Tiger Woods owe us an apology?

Let's assume that all the accusations of serial philandering are true. That no waitress was safe from his charms. What right do we, the public, have to be upset?

Woods never presented himself as a pillar of moral virtue. He marketed himself as a great golfer. His job was to knock balls into holes?which he did. He didn't cheat at golf.

Nowhere in America lives a kid who looked up to Tiger because he thought he was faithful to his wife.

Woods wasn't some right-wing hypocrite. He didn't preach. His church was the Chapel of Sports Excellence.

Apologize? What for?

I'm not even sure he owes his wife an apology. According to various reports (although I fathom not how said accounts were sourced), Woods' wife lost interest in sex after having kids. If she turned colder, oh well. Things happen. Tiger didn't have the right to demand that she put out. But he had every right?the duty, even, if there was to be any chance of his keeping his family intact from divorce?to have some fun on the side.

If Mrs. Woods wanted it ten times a day, on the other hand, he owes her an apology. Her. Not us.

Yet the media is tearing Tiger a new one. "The fact that he isn't allowing questions and is positioning his friends and handpicked reporters as props [at his tele-apology] is the height of arrogance," publicist Nick Ragone told The New York Post. "At some point, he'll be shamed into doing a true mea culpa." Another PR flack said: "He didn't think enough of his fans back then [three months ago, when the scandal broke] to do the right thing."

"Mea culpa"? What for? "Think enough of his fans"? How is Tiger's sex life the business of his fans? Although, personally, I was surprised to find out he was straight. But I digress.

More than 150 years ago, Nathaniel Hawthorne posited that America's original sin was its Puritan heritage. Isn't it time we grew up?

Several years ago a book appeared with a provocative title: Against Love. Who could be against love, I wondered, and why? Not the author, Laura Kipnis. "Clearly no one can be against love," she writes. It turned out that she was actually against monogamy. Monogamy, Kipnis argued, stifles passion.

"Adultery is basically a referendum on the sustainability of monogamy, which means a referendum on the basic premises of modern coupled life, namely that desire will persist throughout a decades-long relationship, " writes Kipnis. "If it doesn't apparently you're supposed to either give up sex, or 'work harder' at it. Adultery is the collective?if secretive?rebellion against these strictures, but also a backdoor way of experimenting with possibilities for more gratification than what we're officially allowed, a workshop for wanting "more" that what current social institutions provide."

So why did she choose that title? I don't know for sure, but I bet the fact that opposing love is less controversial than opposing monogamous relationships had something to do with it.

What's surprising is that people act so shocked when you speak out against monogamy. If a make of car failed as often as monogamy does, if it burst into flames half the time you took it out for a ride?that's the divorce rate?it would be recalled. Monogamous marriage is so widely recognized as a lemon that it has spawned countless pop culture parodies ("The Lockhorns" comic strip, the "Married with Children" TV show).

People talk about elderly married couples who are still happy and in love in the hushed, reverential tones used while standing in front of the "Mona Lisa" the first time or witnessing a UFO landing in front of the White House. If a car almost never worked, its manufacturers would be thrown in prison.

Tiger Woods, in other words, is merely the latest of billions of human beings who have been victimized by a crummy, worthless system that has only been around less than one percent of human history, one that everyone hates but is afraid to admit. He hates it, his wife hates it, most of us hate it. Yet we all pay it lip service.

Truth be told, the Tiger Woods "scandal" exists mainly in the minds of media gatekeepers. The topic was discussed in bars and break rooms and cafes, but nary a "what a pig!" has been heard. The reason is obvious: most Americans have cheated. Some have as many lovers as Tiger.

Against logic and reason, the fidelity hoax goes on. Tiger Woods isn't a sex addict?he's a human being who likes to have sex. Lots and lots of sex.

Tiger Woods shouldn't apologize?he should teach classes.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #256
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Who's John Stamos?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #257
gone traveling

Looks like the comeback has officially begun... He just lined up his first new post-meltdown sponsor:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lays.jpg (24.5 KB, 0 views)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Who's John Stamos?
john stamos photo - Google Search

He was on the tv show "Full House" and has made many made-for-tv movies. He's considered a star I think.

Frayne, you gotta point there. And Tiger certainly doesn't own me an apology, and, frankly, I really didn't want to be bored by hearing about it so much on tv....but I do think if I were married to him or one of my friends was I would think he was a pig.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Who's John Stamos?
john stamos photo - Google Search

He was on the tv show "Full House" ....
Much more importantly, John Stamos was married to...

more @: Rebecca Romijn - Google Search

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Here we go again.. Now it's Jesse James' turn for rehab:

Rep: Jesse James Heads To Rehab To Try & 'Save His Marriage' - omg! news on Yahoo!
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote