Tile

Thanks guys , Somehow I thought the upstairs would be easier but it's probably on backer board . The downstairs is probably on concrete . I'll play with that and see how easy it is . My SO will do a lot of the work but he's still working so I thought I'd work on it during the week . Drat ! I really want to demolish something !

May not have phrased my comment well - pulling up the backer board with tile attached MAY be easier than the tile on concrete, as the backer board can be replaced. Now if it's glued down.....

We went to Home Depot and Lowe's today and it is $3.25 for the tile to be installed and $4.15 for it to be removed per square foot and since I have over 400 square feet I 'm going to try to remove it . My So will do the hard work and we can recruit his son if necessary and if it gets too difficult I'll pay the money .

HD and Lowes are ripoff artists. Check with a local tile store to see what they'll offer you.

All HD and Lowes do are hire the absolutely cheapest guys who will take the job and have a contractors license, then charge you above market rates and keep the difference. Its a convenience factor, but not much of one.

I only tried each of them once. Had HD quote me for a fence and it was almost 2x what a guy who only did fences cost and I ended up doing it myself for 1/5th that cost. Had Lowes put carpet in our last house after we moved out and it was a disaster. They had cheap closeout carpet and a cheap install deal, so it wasnt costly, but the guy took weeks to get out and measure, then we had to wait almost 2 weeks for him to come out and install it, then he did a crappy job and I had to fix all the transitions.

CR has them both dead last by a long shot for customer satisfaction on remodeling deals, so it wasnt just me.

Thanks CFB ! I thought that was pretty high for the rip out . I'll check around .

My error, I should have said "tile guy" instead of "tile store".

A lot of the tile stores do the same thing as HD/Lowes, just hire out to a cheap guy, although in my experience the carpet/tile stores do tend to stick with the same guys that do a consistently decent job. HD/Lowes actually works through a referral service in a lot of areas where they hire whoever is available.

You might look for a contractor who does "handyman" jobs to see what they'd charge just for the tear-out, and see if they do any tile work. Just make sure you see their work or get a reference from someone you know.

Contractors that just do tile work and arent related to a store can often do better quality work and the total price might be reasonable. Plus they'll know who has good tile selections and you can shop around a little with them. Some handyman guys will do a pretty good job with a simple floor or shower retile. If I was doing something complicated or with expensive products I'd go with a regular tile pro.

Only other thing I can suggest is that if anything with parts is involved...doors, tubs, fireplaces, etc...that you pick up all the small parts and collect them in a bag for reinstallation as they're removed. I've had an awful lot of ridiculous little cheap parts that were impossible to find get rolled up in bags of construction junk and thrown out. When we redid our bathroom, I ended up missing two tiny little metal tabs that hold the doors in and a mystery gasket that sealed the tub to the jet pump. I actually still havent found any source to the fireplace door parts and it took me a week of calling people and trying different gaskets before I found a spa guy who knew the motor and what the gasket looked like and found me one.

Back
Top Bottom