Tim Russert dead

He loved his work and committed his whole being to delviering the best that he was capable of. The outpouring of affection is not a coincidence. He earned it.

Just got a call from a friend who informed me that one of my older golf buddy's wife had a heart attack this morning. She is probably 67 and has had previous heart problems. Anyway, no brain activity but on a ventilator. Letting all their children fly in before a taking her off life support.

Going to head up to the hospital in a little bit. I usually go to the club on Friday nights and they were there last night. But I didn't go. Decided to stay home and watch U.S. Open golf. Sure hate I didn't go.

I also felt that devoting the entire NBC Nightly News broadcast to him was inappropriate.

To say nothing about the one hour NBC special last night, pretty much total coverage on MSNBC, a special Today show this morning, and tomorrow's Meet the Press program.

Hey, I thought he did a good job on Meet the Press and explaining the elections and from what I've read/heard he seemed to be a nice guy, but it's not like the President died. What's next, a full fledged State funeral?

(Sorry, I really don't mean to be insensitive, but this wall to wall coverage just seems over the top.)

To say nothing about the one hour NBC special last night, pretty much total coverage on MSNBC, a special Today show this morning, and tomorrow's Meet the Press program.

Hey, I thought he did a good job on Meet the Press and explaining the elections and from what I've read/heard he seemed to be a nice guy, but it's not like the President died. What's next, a full fledged State funeral?

(Sorry, I really don't mean to be insensitive, but this wall to wall coverage just seems over the top.)

Eh... What if one of your co-w**kers collapsed on the job... or a family member died during a visit... or a neighbor...?

Would that be the topic of conversation for the next several days?

The folks making all the noise are, you notice, quite close to Mr. Russert in some fashion. Give them some space.

I loved that guy and was totally shocked and disappointed he is no longer with us. Heck, I even read his books. Count me as a fan who will really miss his commentary.
....and another reminder of how tentative life is.

He will be missed. Perhaps the network people should care a little more about each other and the common man than the almighty story or dollar.

It was a Tuesday morning at 7:30 AM when I was arriving at work when a colleague asked for help over the partion. He had gotten to work early as he had to submit a big report that morning. He had stayed late the night before finishing it. He was having a heart attack. We did CPR and got the rescue squad and the trained people on site there in a matter of seconds. The rescue squad stabilized him. OUR HR STAFF ASKED "Could you get him out of here we have corporate visitors coming?" I was there --- I HEARD IT ASKED! As he was carried up the steps he asked 'Can you make sure my report gets turned in?' He had a known heart condition, but felt the need to do his job too. His wife blamed the company for his death and his spending little time for years with his family.

After 28 years, 3 years ago I left that place when I caught my boss in a lie. I negotiated a package and never looked back.

Cashbalancetrouble, that is just sad. The more stories like this I hear on this board, the happier I am that I was an entrepreneur and didn't have to tolerate the corporate crapola. How did you stand it I wonder?

The pressures of corporate life make people do things they never would oterhwise. The sweet little old lady who said that didn't even know what she was doing and that point.

I had many troubles in corporate life but none worse that when my division was sold in an asset transfer. They sold us to a hedge fund. When they did this, I lost about 45% of my pension. I am still fighting this theft with no help from government, DOL or IRS. Congress basically said let them fight it out in court. Basically, a cash balance conversion was done to a traditional defined benefit. A transition benefit was provided for for older people. When the company was sold, before I reached age 55, they ruled I would only have gotten the benefit if I was still with the corporation at age 55. I have not found a lawyer interested for the $200K involved and the size of the adaversary, $7Billion corporate sales.

My next hope is Amara vs Cigna which is ruled on that Cigna basic did not properly inform employees properly. the will rule on the remedies for employees this month. I hope it sets a precedent that I can use.

58 is much too young. So sad.

Here is an interesting article on his death. I don't subscribe to a lot of what is said in this article but the main points about Mr. Russert not "looking" well and that medicine makes one complacent are well taken.

http://www.naturalnews.com/023434.html

I'm sorry, but the author of the linked article was simply playing armchair physician in an effort to promote his own agenda. He speculated about the health and death of a great journalist who would have never written an article remotely like it.

I'm not sure Tim Russert was stressed out by the long hours he worked but working those long hours probably kept him from taking proper care of himself. They said he exercised a bit but I imagine his eating habits were not the best if he was always on the go. He looked a bit overweight. One of his friends was talking about him and Tim being on the road together and always looking for a good barbecue joint.

I wasn't a fan of his. He led the charge to turn American politics into the NBA finals. Just a big game to him. Doesn't matter who would be the best president, it's all about the strategies for dealing with the intricacies of the state delegate counts.

I also felt that devoting the entire NBC Nightly News broadcast to him was inappropriate.

Tim Russert was one of the most responsible, objective journalists around- it wasn't up to him to proclaim "who would be the best president" it was his job to explain the intracacies of the voting. He did a superb job of maintaining his neutrality and balance, something most journalists today could and should take a lesson from.

NBC news can devote their Nightly News broadcast to whatever they feel is most newsworthy that evening. The sudden death of their beloved colleague obviously met that criteria. I'm not a big NBC fan, but I felt they gave him a fitting tribute.

I'll miss him this November.

Okay, the amount of air time devoted to this story is excessive.
Eh... What if one of your co-w**kers collapsed on the job... or a family member died during a visit... or a neighbor...?

Would that be the topic of conversation for the next several days?
Yes it would, but I doubt we would make the rest of the country listen to it. I liked the guy and will miss him, but the coverage is about what you would get if the President or the Pope died.

Okay, the amount of air time devoted to this story is excessive.
Yes it would, but I doubt we would make the rest of the country listen to it. I liked the guy and will miss him, but the coverage is about what you would get if the President or the Pope died.

Yes, you are correct. He lived in much bigger universe than the metaphors I used. I apologize.

Just thought I would add that he was one of the few, if not only, political commentators I liked. He genuinely cared and was able to leave his own personal beliefs or motivations at the door and interview each candidate with candor and concern. His dedication to his job was uplifting and it created a great environment for politics to be discussed in, rather than the commentators now who can do nothing except promote their book or blog. Russert will certainly be missed.

Just thought I would add that he was one of the few, if not only, political commentators I liked. He genuinely cared and was able to leave his own personal beliefs or motivations at the door and interview each candidate with candor and concern. His dedication to his job was uplifting and it created a great environment for politics to be discussed in, rather than the commentators now who can do nothing except promote their book or blog. Russert will certainly be missed.

Unlike George Stephanopoulus............

Back
Top Bottom