Tim Russert dead

He was only 58. No reason for the death was given. He leaves behind a wife and a son. Too bad, I always enjoyed what he had to say.

only 58; died at work. Really gonna miss him during the elections -- who's going to mark the votes on the white board??

RIP Mr. Russert and God Speed.

Just a couple of weeks ago I saw him when he made one of his regular guest appearances on MSNBC's early morning news show. The camera followed him as he walked onto the set and I remember thinking "damn, he looks old". Not his physical appearance - he looked about 58 - but the way he moved. Stoop shouldered and walking very slowly, as if walking a few feet took a lot out of him.

Saddened...always enjoyed watching Meet The Press....my age.

Saddened...always enjoyed watching Meet The Press....my age.

Yes, I enjoyed watching the show as well. A guy that really loved talking about his family, particularly his Dad. Very sad.

Just another reminder that we all need to enjoy and appreciate each and every day.

Just a couple of weeks ago I saw him when he made one of his regular guest appearances on MSNBC's early morning news show. The camera followed him as he walked onto the set and I remember thinking "damn, he looks old". Not his physical appearance - he looked about 58 - but the way he moved. Stoop shouldered and walking very slowly, as if walking a few feet took a lot out of him.

Good observation. Very sad, he was a fine journalist.

We'll learn more, but sudden death in a middle aged male is usually brought about from an arrhythmia secondary to coronary disease; a few are from pulmonary embolism especially if there are risks, and the rest are a mix of ruptured aneurysms, massive strokes and similar tragic happenings.

I thought Russert was awesome and its sad to see him go.

That said, I only watched the Brokaw announcement of his death once, but he did say something to the effect that Russert "worked himself to exhaustion". I'm reminded of the book "Your Money or Your Life." Probably some people think that title was only meant figuratively.

That is a shame. I tend to watch MSNBC on election nights (naturally) ;) I will miss Russert - he knew his stuff and seemed like a decent guy.

I will miss him. He was a great journalist and the master of direct questions.

Good observation. Very sad, he was a fine journalist.

We'll learn more, but sudden death in a middle aged male is usually brought about from an arrhythmia secondary to coronary disease; a few are from pulmonary embolism especially if there are risks, and the rest are a mix of ruptured aneurysms, massive strokes and similar tragic happenings.

They said "Russert had just returned from a family vacation in Italy last night. "

Wonder if he had deep vein thrombosis (sp??) due to the flight??

They said "Russert had just returned from a family vacation in Italy last night. "

Small silver lining that his last days were spent the right way, I'll miss him.

Perhaps my favorite at what he did. Was respectful without loss of integrity. A pity. Two years younger than I am. Another reminder of life's fleeting nature.

Can you get DVT in a big couch-like first class seat with plenty of leg room? I thought only us cattle squeezed and contorted into our seats in third class got that.

First thing I thought was a heart attack as he seemed to carry a few extra pounds.

Anyway, sounds massive and quick, which while a sad event, is better than a long, slow death IMO.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
We'll learn more, but sudden death in a middle aged male...

58 is middle aged?

I saw an interview with his physician who said Tim had ruptured a plaque in the LAD (left anterior descending). Don't they call that vessel "the widow-maker?"

This was on the MSNBC website:

"Russert’s physician, Michael Newman, said cholesterol plaque ruptured in an artery, causing sudden coronary thrombosis. Russert had earlier been diagnosed with asymptomatic coronary artery disease, but it was well-controlled with medication and exercise, and he had performed well on a stress test in late April, Newman said. An autopsy revealed that he also had an enlarged heart, Newman said."

It would be very interesting to know what Tim's numbers where so others might get a better sense for their risk. Did he have high total cholesterol, low good cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure? His dad was over 80 but I think his mom died young. From what, I wonder.

I also just read on wikipedia that he had diabetes.

Last edited:
58 is much too young. So sad.

Here is an interesting article on his death. I don't subscribe to a lot of what is said in this article but the main points about Mr. Russert not "looking" well and that medicine makes one complacent are well taken.

http://www.naturalnews.com/023434.html

I wasn't a fan of his. He led the charge to turn American politics into the NBA finals. Just a big game to him. Doesn't matter who would be the best president, it's all about the strategies for dealing with the intricacies of the state delegate counts.

I also felt that devoting the entire NBC Nightly News broadcast to him was inappropriate.

Yep, i agree with most all of what's been said. I, for one, will miss him - and feel that news and journalism was *much* better off for him being who he was.

I believe he did a wonderful job in researching the background of who he was interviewing. Jobs well done!

I read earlier in this thread where it was stated that he had diabetes.

Does anybody here know if this has been confirmed?

Last edited:
Tom Brokaw, who knew him very well, stated that Russert overworked himself, and he even pleaded with him to cut back a little.

Even though he may have found his work enjoyable, too much of anything is usually not a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom