Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last year I had mowing service as I couldn't do the lawn due to trips, our lawn is a bit larger than normal as its on a corner, the charge was about $27/mow.

This year I'm doing it myself and have wondered a bit if I should just pay, as I find I don't do as good a job with trimming.
I use a walk behind mower, so I get some exercise as a benefit.

I did really like the freedom it gave me, and if we plan trips over the season next year I might just sign up to be free of the "vacant look" the house gets when we are away.

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and experiences. We have 7 acres with orchard/pastures and lawn around the home taking up about 3 acres. I don't always get to mow because we have someone living in a barn apartment who works to cover the rent. Often we go away for weeks and a time, and he just takes care of it. I do however need to have reliable tools for him to use and it sounds like the Kawasaki engine is a good call.

I looked at buying a used D140 from someone who said it was a 2015 model. Nice try, the date on the engine was 2012, and the tranny felt a little jerky, so I passed on the idea of buying used, no warranty.

Tomorrow I pick up our new S240, that for all your help.

Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Around here the average cost is $75/mow for the typical 1/3 to 1/2 acre lot. Most services require a seasonal contract for weekly cutting (whether you need it or not). If I could have it done for $27, I might reconsider. To me, the job is worth about $40. The era of teenagers cutting lawns for spending money is long gone. I enjoy yardwork (especially since not working) except when it's ultra hot but even then I can just wait till late in the day. I usually spend 2 hrs/week cutting grass but the new JD riding mower has cut my time nearly in half.
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:59 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
If you have areas where the ground slopes or can get slippery, you can get into all sorts of difficulty when one wheel has traction and the other doesn't.

I had that issue and solved it with the John Deere X500. It's the only garden tractor I ever saw with a pedal that forced power to both drive wheels to prevent one of them spinning. Great machine -- nothing ever went wrong with it and it was just as good as new when I moved and sold it after nine years.

braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote