Join Early Retirement Today

Time for a new smart phone
Old 11-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Time for a new smart phone

Time to upgrade my cell phone and am seeking advice. Android is my OS of choice. I am a bit clumsy with on-screen text entry and use swype for typing. I am on the sprint network.

Anyone had hands-on experience with the Samsung Note 4, or Nexus 6, or Moto x (2nd gen)?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I vote for Moto x on Republic Wireless. I think they only have the 1st gen but I am very happy with it and the service they offer.

https://republicwireless.com/info/plans/
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had a Moto phone (G?) for exactly two days this summer. I returned it and bought an iPhone. I didn't want to figure out how to use it, it kept taking pictures of me, and I was very familiar with the iTouch.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love Samsung products so I vote Samsung. I had a cheap Samsung I liked but I needed more memory so I upgraded to my $79.99 ZTE Concord II (purchased at Walmart/T-Mobile) which I like very much. I might buy me the Samsung Avant ($199) for Christmas or for my birthday. I miss having a Samsung.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Moto X with Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 Yummy!

I have the G and it's a quad core processor and very fast. Beats DW's Iphone all day long.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Moto X with Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 Yummy!

I have the G and it's a quad core processor and very fast. Beats DW's Iphone all day long.

Android users are very loyal, and I understand why as I am not a rookie to UNIX. I suppose my choice was because I mainly wanted a phone and occasional browsing (I'm not a gamer).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #7

Wife & I just got our first smart phones a few days ago....Samsung Galaxy S-5's. I predict a long learning curve...lol. I miss my dumb phone.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Android users are very loyal, and I understand why as I am not a rookie to UNIX. I suppose my choice was because I mainly wanted a phone and occasional browsing (I'm not a gamer).
Not knocking Apple or the Iphone, but my biggest complaint is that the Iphone OS does not have an easy to hit "back" button and that drove me crazy when I had one. I guess I have gotten used to Android and it's simplicity of use and the Google apps. This is especially true of the newer OS (Kt Kat).
Old 11-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Wife & I just got our first smart phones a few days ago....Samsung Galaxy S-5's. I predict a long learning curve...lol. I miss my dumb phone.
Marty, one of these days I will be going back to a flip phone (you may be too). I believe that happens when you can't read the text in messaging and e-mails anymore.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Marty, one of these days I will be going back to a flip phone (you may be too). I believe that happens when you can't read the text in messaging and e-mails anymore.
That's when I upgraded to a 'phablet', so I could read the text! Phablet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They are getting popular, which is why the new iphone has a phablet version. I use windows phone, so I have a nokia 1520 with a 6" screen

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I'm keeping my old dumb "Star Trek" like flip phone. I've had it at least 6 or 7 years now. Long battery life, fit's in my shirt pocket and it takes pictures, videos, SMS, it can send emails with attachments (although that's a real PIA) etc, etc, and even makes phone calls.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We got DD a Moto G this fall (the newest one, that has an SDCARD slot), and she loves it. For ~ $220 (no contract), it's probably the best smartphone for the money.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #13

I moved from a 3 year old HTC Sensation to the Samsung Galaxy S5. What a difference! Battery lasts more than a day for me. The phone is zippy and the display is amazing!

It took a few days to get used to the larger size & I have to remove it from my pocket when I drive, but overall, I love the phone.

I wish the manufacturers and networks wouldn't load the phone with so much bloatware. (My HTC was rooted and running the very slim cyanogen mod). The bloatware almost had me going to a Moto X, but in the end, for me, the S5 won out. It has an SD card & replaceable battery that the MotoX & The Nexus do not.

Btw, go pick up a Note4 before you decide to buy it.. they are HUGE!!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #14

A lot depends on your preferences, of course. I want a compact phone (130 grams or less, 4.7" or less) running Android that is water resistant, has an excellent camera and that has an extensive set of LTE bands for international travel. These requirements eliminate almost all smartphones. For example, although the Moto G is a good value, the camera is very mediocre, it's not water resistant, heavier than I would like, and the set of LTE bands does not meet my requirements.

I am about to pull the trigger on the Sony Xperia Z3 compact (129 grams, 4.6"). It has outstanding reviews, a great camera, expandable memory, and retails for about $500. It also has a fast processor and large amount of RAM, unlike a lot of the smaller size competition. It is just becoming widely available in the USA this month.

IMO, the Nexus 6 is really a tablet disguised as a phone (184 grams or 6.5 oz., 6"). I just don't want to carry around a brick in my pocket, but for someone carrying a handbag all the time or something I can see how it would work.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote