Time for a new smart phone

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Time to upgrade my cell phone and am seeking advice. Android is my OS of choice. I am a bit clumsy with on-screen text entry and use swype for typing. I am on the sprint network.

Anyone had hands-on experience with the Samsung Note 4, or Nexus 6, or Moto x (2nd gen)?

I had a Moto phone (G?) for exactly two days this summer. I returned it and bought an iPhone. I didn't want to figure out how to use it, it kept taking pictures of me, and I was very familiar with the iTouch.

I love Samsung products so I vote Samsung. I had a cheap Samsung I liked but I needed more memory so I upgraded to my $79.99 ZTE Concord II (purchased at Walmart/T-Mobile) which I like very much. I might buy me the Samsung Avant ($199) for Christmas or for my birthday. I miss having a Samsung.

Moto X with Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 Yummy! ;):dance:

I have the G and it's a quad core processor and very fast. Beats DW's Iphone all day long.

Last edited:
Moto X with Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 Yummy! ;):dance:

I have the G and it's a quad core processor and very fast. Beats DW's Iphone all day long.

Android users are very loyal, and I understand why as I am not a rookie to UNIX. I suppose my choice was because I mainly wanted a phone and occasional browsing (I'm not a gamer).

Wife & I just got our first smart phones a few days ago....Samsung Galaxy S-5's. I predict a long learning curve...lol. I miss my dumb phone.

Android users are very loyal, and I understand why as I am not a rookie to UNIX. I suppose my choice was because I mainly wanted a phone and occasional browsing (I'm not a gamer).

Not knocking Apple or the Iphone, but my biggest complaint is that the Iphone OS does not have an easy to hit "back" button and that drove me crazy when I had one. I guess I have gotten used to Android and it's simplicity of use and the Google apps. This is especially true of the newer OS (Kt Kat).

Last edited:
Wife & I just got our first smart phones a few days ago....Samsung Galaxy S-5's. I predict a long learning curve...lol. I miss my dumb phone.

Marty, one of these days I will be going back to a flip phone (you may be too). I believe that happens when you can't read the text in messaging and e-mails anymore.:LOL:

Marty, one of these days I will be going back to a flip phone (you may be too). I believe that happens when you can't read the text in messaging and e-mails anymore.:LOL:

That's when I upgraded to a 'phablet', so I could read the text! Phablet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They are getting popular, which is why the new iphone has a phablet version. I use windows phone, so I have a nokia 1520 with a 6" screen

I'm keeping my old dumb "Star Trek" like flip phone. I've had it at least 6 or 7 years now. Long battery life, fit's in my shirt pocket and it takes pictures, videos, SMS, it can send emails with attachments (although that's a real PIA) etc, etc, and even makes phone calls.

We got DD a Moto G this fall (the newest one, that has an SDCARD slot), and she loves it. For ~ $220 (no contract), it's probably the best smartphone for the money.

-ERD50

I moved from a 3 year old HTC Sensation to the Samsung Galaxy S5. What a difference! Battery lasts more than a day for me. The phone is zippy and the display is amazing!

It took a few days to get used to the larger size & I have to remove it from my pocket when I drive, but overall, I love the phone.

I wish the manufacturers and networks wouldn't load the phone with so much bloatware. (My HTC was rooted and running the very slim cyanogen mod). The bloatware almost had me going to a Moto X, but in the end, for me, the S5 won out. It has an SD card & replaceable battery that the MotoX & The Nexus do not.

Btw, go pick up a Note4 before you decide to buy it.. they are HUGE!!

A lot depends on your preferences, of course. I want a compact phone (130 grams or less, 4.7" or less) running Android that is water resistant, has an excellent camera and that has an extensive set of LTE bands for international travel. These requirements eliminate almost all smartphones. For example, although the Moto G is a good value, the camera is very mediocre, it's not water resistant, heavier than I would like, and the set of LTE bands does not meet my requirements.

I am about to pull the trigger on the Sony Xperia Z3 compact (129 grams, 4.6"). It has outstanding reviews, a great camera, expandable memory, and retails for about $500. It also has a fast processor and large amount of RAM, unlike a lot of the smaller size competition. It is just becoming widely available in the USA this month.

IMO, the Nexus 6 is really a tablet disguised as a phone (184 grams or 6.5 oz., 6"). I just don't want to carry around a brick in my pocket, but for someone carrying a handbag all the time or something I can see how it would work.

Back
Top Bottom