Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Time for a Rechargeable Battery Post
Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Time for a Rechargeable Battery Post

Anyone have experiences with the Rayovac Recharge Plus batteries?

Best Battery Recharger | Rayovac

For AA, AAA I like the eneloop batteries:

Amazon.com: eneloop 2000 mAh typical, 1900 mAh minimum,8 pack AA, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics

But I'm considering getting 9V and C rechargeables as Menard's (11% rebate offer this week) has the Rayovacs.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had decent experience with their prior gen AA rechargeables (4.0's). Also had good luck with Duracell long life's (longer charge holding), at least the ones made in Japan. FWIW- My usage has mainly been in LED bike lights & wireless computer mouse/keyboards.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Anyone have experiences with the Rayovac Recharge Plus batteries?
Not the Recharge Plus, but I have some Rayovac Hybrid rechargables (AA) and they have been OK. No experience with any brand of rechargeables in the C or D size.

Nnothing I've tried so far has come close to being as good as the AA Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #4

The best rechargable batteries are Sanyo Eneloops. That's what I am using. AA batteries in about everything except AAA, (get some of those too).
Rechargeable up to 1800 times. 75% capacity after 5 years of storage.
They will pay for themselves over time.

Below...D spacers...to start...the AA fits in the body of the spacer and it becomes a D cell.
Amazon.com: eneloop SEC-DSPACER4PK D Size Spacers for use with AA battery cells: Electronics
Look at the chart on the page...select D, C, spacers. Get a number of them. This will allow you to use AA batteries in about everything. Get spares, keep them charged. Chart has batteries, etc. There are cheaper knock off spacers, too. They are probably a better deal.

I have several of the newer flashlights. Fenix, etc. They run on the AA's. My older two D cell LED Maglights run on the D cell spacers with AA's inside. The Maglights will run near two hours on the two Sanyo AA's inside. I carry replacement charged AA's and never a problem.

========================
Chargers?

Then get a charger or two. One of the ones I have is one of these...multi-use different rechargable batteries... and will take DC from a cigarette lighter adaptor pigtail.
NITECORE
From Amazon... Amazon.com: Nitecore IntelliCharger i4 Battery Charger - 2nd Generation: Sports & Outdoors
Adaptor... Amazon.com : MHS-DC12 Car Vehicle Cigarette Lighter Adapter For PowerEx C9000 Nitecore i2 i4 : Electronics Power Cables : Electronics

What if you are backpacking or you are in a place with no power to recharge your cell phone or batteries? Disaster? I have a foldable solar panel affair similiar to this:
Watch the Utube to get an idea...
Guide 10 Plus Solar Kit | Complete Solar Kits | Goal Zero
Amazon has them cheaper.

In a disaster, all the batteries will be gone off the shelves in the stores. Being independant with rechargables allows you true freedom.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #5

I've bought the cheapies from Hong Kong on eBay. They're ok in some equipement if you don't mind pulling them out and recharging them all the time. In other equipment, they don't have a high enough voltage and the device only works a short time. I might need to explore the name brands.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #6

I use the enerloops in the apple charger. The benefit of the apple charger is it's the smallest one I've seen (does two batteries, can charge independently).
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I do have some D and C sized spacers. If I go the actual battery route, I'd need 8 Cs. The spacers do work (I need the C's for a portable CD player), but are lighter in weight that regular C's and have a tendency to pop out when installing because of the spring tension.

But I don't know what's more convenient, to have the spacers pop out or to have to recharge C size ones.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Eneloops and solar charger! Wow! Sounds like a deal for preppers. They could go decades.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

What do you use all these batteries for?

I use AA and AAA in a bunch of low drain devices (clocks, remotes, thermometers, etc), and 9V in smoke alarms. The AA/AAA might not need replacement for several years, and I don't think rechargeables work in smoke alarms.

I've never been able to make the math work for rechargeables (Alkaline AA and AAA are 4/$1 at Dollar Tree or Harbor Freight).

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What do you use all these batteries for?
Grandkid's toys.

Game cameras - used for security at home when we take extended RV trips. Takes 8 batteries per camera and the Eneloops last about 6 weeks.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #11

Many years ago I tried to keep up with rechargeable batteries. But now I just go to Costco and buy the Kirkland brand. The prices are so ridiculously low that it doesn't make sense to get anything else. And they claim to have a ten year shelf life. So if I buy a pack of AA batteries with 40 batteries in the package, it cost something like $12.00 and typically last me for 3-5 years. So about $4/year to avoid needing rechargeables. Seems like a small price to pay for the convenience.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I keep trying to make the case for rechargeables, but the cheap alkalines still come out on top. And, they are very convenient. I buy the "good" alkalines with very low internal discharge rates for remote controls, etc and they seem to last for years. I made sure that my smoke detectors take AA batteries (much cheaper than 9v), and the AA's that come out of them (still have plenty of life) go into other items. I guess if I had very high-drain uses I'd consider rechargeables.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have a couple of cheap 9V dry cell (non-alkaline) batteries in two garage remotes. I've been waiting for them to die as they are at last 3 years old, but to my surprise (usually 9v batteries don't last so long), they still work. I'm thinking of replacing them with low discharge rechargeables when they finally do die.
Slightly off topic PSA on battery disposal
Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Slightly off topic PSA on battery disposal

This video is kind of scarey, but the message is a good one.

Basically, the message is to tape over the ends of 9 volt batteries before tossing them in a sack to be recycled, especially if they may have some charge left. Unlike cylindrical batteries that have the contacts on each end, 9 volts have two exposed terminals right next to each other.

travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Like others, I won't buy anything but Sanyo Eneloops any more (I think I learned about them here). They're far superior to all the other brands we have.

Rechargeable batteries are fine for things that are used frequently (daily), but they're a poor substitute for devices that are used infrequently, they seem to lose charge whether used or not unlike conventional batteries. You wouldn't want to use rechargeable batteries for an emergency flashlight (that doesn't sit on a charger) for example, they'll be dead when you need them.

However, Eneloops seem to hold up significantly better IME.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

re the Costco alkalines

I have bought those in the past, but they leak like a sieve after a year or two in a device. I just wait for the Duracell AA and AAA multipacks to go on sale at Costco.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
This video is kind of scarey, but the message is a good one.

Basically, the message is to tape over the ends of 9 volt batteries before tossing them in a sack to be recycles, especially if they may have some charge left. Unlike cylindrical batteries that have the contacts on each end, 9 volts have two exposed terminals right next to each other.
Thanks,that's a good tip.
Do people really recycle alkaline batteries? I recycle NiCds (every time--cadmium is nasty stuff), but there's no program that I'm aware of in my area for regular alkaline batteries. I usually just put them in a well-tied plastic bag and drop them into the trash.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Do people really recycle alkaline batteries? I recycle NiCds (every time--cadmium is nasty stuff), but there's no program that I'm aware of in my area for regular alkaline batteries. I usually just put them in a well-tied plastic bag and drop them into the trash.
We recycle all batteries, but after reading this I may (sadly) re-evaluate.

Alkaline Batteries Do Need to be Recycled

Quote:
I even found a couple of sites that said that if you bring alkaline batteries to recycling centers or events, they are separated from the rechargeables and typically end up in the landfill or incinerator anyway.

In summary, because alkaline batteries no longer contain mercury and because of the small amount of recoverable metals in them, they are not typically recycled. Some claims are made that using regular alkaline batteries is actually better environmentally than using rechargeables. I have trouble with this claim, but the reasoning behind it is this. Rechargeable batteries can contain mercury, cadmium, lead, and lithium. There are environmental impacts associated with the manufacture of rechargeable batteries. Many rechargeable batteries do end up being tossed into the regular trash by people who are either unaware that they should be recycled, or feel it is just too much trouble to do so.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Like others, I won't buy anything but Sanyo Eneloops any more (I think I learned about them here). They're far superior to all the other brands we have.

Rechargeable batteries are fine for things that are used frequently (daily), but they're a poor substitute for devices that are used infrequently, they seem to lose charge whether used or not unlike conventional batteries. You wouldn't want to use rechargeable batteries for an emergency flashlight (that doesn't sit on a charger) for example, they'll be dead when you need them.

However, Eneloops seem to hold up significantly better IME.
Those Eneloops are great. I have no problem with using them in a remote or even in emergency flashlights for my car.

(As a measure of safety, I also pack along a quick AA charger and inverter in my car's emergency bag in case the batteries are dead when I need it).
Old 01-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
....... but there's no program that I'm aware of in my area for regular alkaline batteries........
My local Home Depots take batteries and CFL bulbs.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote