Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2016, 07:09 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I just have to comment on OP's thinking the daughter's car with 115K is not reliable or can't be trusted. That is fewer miles than any of my vehicles, except my motorhome and F-650. I guess having ability to do my own car repairs and understanding how things work gives me a different outlook.

Newer cars have way more than 115K of life, as long as you have done sufficient preventative maintenance. It sounds like OP wants an excuse to get a new car, that is fine. I just do not agree that the 115K car is a POS and unreliable.

Point of order I said the jalopy was still reliable meaning it starts, runs fine etc., however Im sure we will all agree the likely hood of problems increases with age and mileage. The issue isn't me being able to do the repairs the issue is:
1) the phone call "daddy the car died"
2) my daughters need to deal with a breakdown 4 hours away at school or two plus hours away at the internship. Or more likely somewhere in between. She just replaced a failed $800 alternator in the car up at school. (The CRV has the alternator buried it is a big job)
3) we need another car (HS son has a job 2 miles away) and we use the oldest goes to the newest driver rule.

Hondas are known for the durability of their engines --it is the transmission that will likely send it to the bone yard. PS I did my own tune ups etc for years... Now I tune ups really don't exist.. Oil and filter changes (Which we religiously do every 3K miles) transaxle fluid, and a timing belt at 100K miles.

Finally the reason I am in a quandary about what to do is I am not a big car person. (I do love the RAV) If I wanted a new car I have the means to buy one...I just don't have a burning desire.

I would never refer to my CRV as a POS
- first I'm not big on profanity
- second that SUVs been great reliable and got me home on several snowy days. It's also been a great parking lot queen for the daughter (it gets real cold at school below zero) only one time did it need a jump.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As a completely independent woman living alone for the past 18 years, I have never once needed an F-350, or even a pickup truck. I have paid one or two establishments for delivery of items, like my living room set, but that really isn't going to break the bank.

I don't rely on F for this sort of thing either; in fact, several times he has relied on me to help him with my Venza, because it has a bigger cargo capacity than the 2003 Murano that he has owned since 2004.

He wants to get another pickup truck as his next vehicle. Men seem to need trucks, although I haven't quite figured out the reasoning behind that, yet.
Whenever I see a Venza I point out to my DW with a chuckle, "That's what the Oceanographer lady on ER owns." Btw, my DW made me sell my Toyota PU last month that I owned for 24 years <sniff, sniff>. Hope that makes you happy.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Whenever I see a Venza I point out to my DW with a chuckle, "That's what the Oceanographer lady on ER owns." Btw, my DW made me sell my Toyota PU last month that I owned for 24 years <sniff, sniff>. Hope that makes you happy.
Ha ha!! Well, not really if you miss it. After 24 years, I bet it was about on its last legs, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:05 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As a completely independent woman living alone for the past 18 years, I have never once needed an F-350, or even a pickup truck. I have paid one or two establishments for delivery of items, like my living room set, but that really isn't going to break the bank.

I don't rely on F for this sort of thing either; in fact, several times he has relied on me to help him with my Venza, because it has a bigger cargo capacity than the 2003 Murano that he has owned since 2004.

He wants to get another pickup truck as his next vehicle. Men seem to need trucks, although I haven't quite figured out the reasoning behind that, yet.
Actually, by definition, since you had to rely on one or two establishments for delivery of items, you were not completely independent...lol

It's a nice feeling to fire up the diesel on a cold Minnesota winter morning, and to hear that big engine knock and ping as it struggles to get warm. When I see that nice blue cloud of diesel exhaust, I know I am doing my part to help the global warming trend in MN. If we could get another 20 degrees warming in the winter, it would be a great thing.

Of course, when I pick up ~1,000 lbs of flooring like I will today, haul away old carpet and Sheetrock, move appliances, plow snow, haul mowers, etc. It's nice to have a truck.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote