Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The days of vehicles with fully manual transmissions are numbered as the more modern 6 and 9 speed transmissions beat them on mileage. (a far cry from the old 3 and 4 speeds). Many however have a mode where it will shift only when you manipulate the lever but with no clutch involved. Sometimes such transmissions will say shift denied if you try to downshift to far and potentially over speed the engine. So as long as you stay within the engine rpm limits you can drive like a manual. (One other issue is the auto start stop and combining it with a transmission with a clutch)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
Whatever you buy, I would seriously look into certified preowned. A few years ago I got an 18 months old Acura TL with 7k miles on it for 25% below msrp. About 2 months ago we got DW a 15 month old Lincoln MKT with 9500 miles on it for 30% off MSRP. In both cases I plowed a bit of the savings back into extended bumper-to-bumper warranties. One was for 7 years, the other for 8 years.

Let someone else take that early depreciation in the teeth.
Agree with this. Our last two have been a Cadillac SRX and before that a CTS. Both were "program cars" and were like new when we got them with around 6k miles.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:07 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The problem with a truck is that you cannot carry 8 people at the same time (well, legally).

We have a plastic cover in the back of our SUV that can be taken out and hosed down... but we have not really needed a pickup for... oh, 25 years....
True, but I rarely had a need to transport 8 people... heck, even most minivans and third seat SUVs only carry 7 people comfortably ... so if you need to transport 8 then you are going to need two vehicles anyway.

My crew cab truck can carry the same number of people as most cars or SUVs (excluding third seat SUVs and mini-vans) but much more stuff in the back.

If we and DD and her boyfriend want to go biking, we just put the four bikes in the bed, hop in the cab and off we go to the bike path. Try that with a minivan or third seat SUV.

Our other vehicle is a SUV with a plastic liner in the back, which is handy for a lot of things (but not a load of mulch or topsoil), but not as versatile as the crew cab in our experience.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am going to buy a 2017 F350, diesel, lariat. Aluminum body. An F350 is not a lot more money than a F150, and is MUCH more truck.

And I can write it off, so it's even better.

The Toyota's are OK, if you just need a going to the grocery store truck.
Unless you're towing a big 5th wheel what can you do with a F350 that you can't do with a Toyota truck except spend a lot more money for the truck, fuel, and repairs?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Unless you're towing a big 5th wheel what can you do with a F350 that you can't do with a Toyota truck except spend a lot more money for the truck, fuel, and repairs?
Drive 80 MPH across Kansas in 40-50 MPH cross winds and stay in your own lane.

Sorry couldn't resist, just drove that yesterday in my 1500 Silverado and it was not fun. I assume the F-350 would be quite a bit heavier and hold the road better.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I wish I had an F350 diesel. I need to tow a tractor up into the mountains and am not sure my old F250 with a 351 ci engine and automatic will make it.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

As a completely independent woman living alone for the past 18 years, I have never once needed an F-350, or even a pickup truck. I have paid one or two establishments for delivery of items, like my living room set, but that really isn't going to break the bank.

I don't rely on F for this sort of thing either; in fact, several times he has relied on me to help him with my Venza, because it has a bigger cargo capacity than the 2003 Murano that he has owned since 2004.

He wants to get another pickup truck as his next vehicle. Men seem to need trucks, although I haven't quite figured out the reasoning behind that, yet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #48

Well, lots of us men are still trying to puzzle out why many women we have known must own enough pairs of shoes to fit out an entire chorus line several times over. Yes, there is a difference!
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I can relate. A woman friend who once worked for me showed me that she had one of those 4' lateral files at work chock full of shoes and asked me to clean it out before her husband saw it if anything ever happened to her.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Well, lots of us men are still trying to puzzle out why many women we have known must own enough pairs of shoes to fit out an entire chorus line several times over. Yes, there is a difference!
And I'm so glad there is. Vive la difference!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #51

Quote:
You can get a sport sedan that has plenty of zip...

I had a 2004 Acura TL with 6 speed.... very quick acceleration and has summer sport tires so it handled really well... top speed was 155 mph...

It was quicker and faster than my 87 Firebird Formula with a 5.7 liter engine... I think it topped out at 140 ish.... I think the Acura was also quicker in the 1/4 mile....

And it was a luxury car when I was not thrashing it around, which BTW is close to 99% of the time (that is not thrashing)....
I have the exact same car. Bought it new and still going strong (only 89.000 miles on it).
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
The days of vehicles with fully manual transmissions are numbered as the more modern 6 and 9 speed transmissions beat them on mileage. (a far cry from the old 3 and 4 speeds). Many however have a mode where it will shift only when you manipulate the lever but with no clutch involved. Sometimes such transmissions will say shift denied if you try to downshift to far and potentially over speed the engine. So as long as you stay within the engine rpm limits you can drive like a manual. (One other issue is the auto start stop and combining it with a transmission with a clutch)
Fully agree, but the OP talked about zoom zoom, and to me the manual keeps you intimately involved in the mechanicals and the act of driving. I'd never own a manual in an heavily urban area, the shifting to get to the grocery would take the fun out of driving. But it is my idea of a true driving machine. Doesn't need to be fast, but decently fun. It's part of my dream retirement truck, no interest in the luxury land yachts that populate most truck owner's driveways. Only about a third of the folks I know with a truck actually use it as a truck, most it is just a big expensive showpiece for hauling the kids and a load of mulch once in awhile. For that, I just borrow my cousin's trailer and tow with the minivan.
Gotta a lot of respect for a friend who's in construction, he waited two months to get a true work truck (vinyl seats, vinyl floor, etc), saved him a bundle.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Gotta a lot of respect for a friend who's in construction, he waited two months to get a true work truck (vinyl seats, vinyl floor, etc), saved him a bundle.
Hard to find stripped like that. My first 4x4, a 68 Ford had nothing on it, no radio even. Great for getting clean open up the doors and blast the mud right out.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....We have a plastic cover in the back of our SUV that can be taken out and hosed down... ....
DW just left for a Girl Scout meeting and told me she was taking the truck. I asked her... why the truck? She said that she planned to stop at a farmer friend's place on the way home and get some cow manure for her garden. Try that with your SUV, plastic cover or not.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DW just left for a Girl Scout meeting and told me she was taking the truck. I asked her... why the truck? She said that she planned to stop at a farmer friend's place on the way home and get some cow manure for her garden. Try that with your SUV, plastic cover or not.
That's a job for a utility trailer, not a luxo truck!!!

You know they had to call them Sport Utility Vehicles because they really make lousy utility vehicles. Can't carry as much cargo or passengers as a minivan and can't tow or haul crap (pun intended) as a pickup. So they made up a new name and sold it to the public at a premium.

Last week tree trimmers were working on my trees to clear power lines, asked them to save any wood that would suitable for splitting, our Boy Scout troop splits & sells the wood. Anyway, first thought, to get it out of my yard, was to get my cousin's trailer but realizing they were no longer than four feet, my son and I through an oversize tarp in the back of the minivan and loaded about a thousand pounds of wood and hauled it over to the Scout's woodpile.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
That's a job for a utility trailer, not a luxo truck!!!

You know they had to call them Sport Utility Vehicles because they really make lousy utility vehicles. Can't carry as much cargo or passengers as a minivan and can't tow or haul crap (pun intended) as a pickup. So they made up a new name and sold it to the public at a premium.

Last week tree trimmers were working on my trees to clear power lines, asked them to save any wood that would suitable for splitting, our Boy Scout troop splits & sells the wood. Anyway, first thought, to get it out of my yard, was to get my cousin's trailer but realizing they were no longer than four feet, my son and I through an oversize tarp in the back of the minivan and loaded about a thousand pounds of wood and hauled it over to the Scout's woodpile.
Did you check to make sure the wheels were still straight afterwards?
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Did you check to make sure the wheels were still straight afterwards?
What does it matter? It's not his trailer... its his cousin's trailer.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What does it matter? It's not his trailer... its his cousin's trailer.
You might want to re-read how they hauled that wood...

Quote:
...an oversize tarp in the back of the minivan and loaded about a thousand pounds of wood...
Old 04-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

He wants to get another pickup truck as his next vehicle. Men seem to need trucks, although I haven't quite figured out the reasoning behind that, yet.
Oh, it's very simple:

Old 04-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You might want to re-read how they hauled that wood...
I stand corrected. But it isn't as bad as I thought:

Quote:
The Dodge Grand Caravan SXT and SE — as well as its new 2009 Cargo Van trim level — have a payload capacity of 1,500 pounds, according to Chrysler. Payload capacity is the amount of weight a vehicle can carry and includes cargo and passengers.