Join Early Retirement Today

Time to Move
Old 01-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Time to Move

Mrs. Grumpy and I are finally about to make our long planned downsizing move. We have sold our 4 bedroom, 2 story colonial in Maryland and will move into a 2 bedroom and den single story home in a "55 or better" community in Virginia. Settlement on the new home is this Tues., settlement on our existing home is on Thurs., and the movers will be here on Feb. 1st. We are just about done with all of the packing.

This has been a three year process. We visited a number of states that we wanted to consider for retirement (Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina) plus many developments in the D.C. area. We finally decided to "retire (nearly) in place" to maintain ties with our friends in the D.C. area. The new house is about 50 miles from our current house in a far Virginia suburb of D.C.

I will be off-line for a few days on either side of the move due to packing and set up of cable access at the new house. I'll report on how it went when we get reestablished.

Grumpy
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Time to Move
Old 01-23-2005, 07:04 AM   #2

Good luck on your move Grumpy. I am hoping to downsize our house in the future also. No, big house to clean and maintain for me! I will be interested in how you like the 55 and over community. It seems like there are always lots of activities going on, if a person is interested!!!

I have a sister that lives in Stafford VA. I always enjoy visiting-seems like there is a lot to do!!

Dreamer

Old 01-23-2005, 07:09 AM   #3

Yea, good luck. Are you going to be anywhere close to Reston? I've been biking there during vacation for years and the way the area has grown up has been astonishing.

Why did you wait until the first bad snow to move. Is your moving van a sleigh?
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Yea, good luck. Are you going to be anywhere close to Reston? I've been biking there during vacation for years and the way the area has grown up has been astonishing.

Why did you wait until the first bad snow to move. Is your moving van a sleigh?

Tadpole,

Not too close to Reston. We will be in Prince William County, near Woodbridge. The county is one of the fastest growing in the country. I used to do a lot of biking but had to give it up due to back trouble. Now I just swim and walk.

The timing of the move was driven by the builder's construction schedule. Believe me, I have been worrying about the weather affecting moving day. I have already prearranged for snow removal here and at the new house if it snows between now and Feb 1st. Just one more logistical nightmare... I will be very relieved when we are settled into the new house.

Grumpy