Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You kids. Don't make me stop this car. (Imagine your mother's voice)
Sorry mom. POTS are really unnecessary unless you live in an area that has no broadband service...cell service...etc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #22

I agree, it's time to replace old telephone systems on planes.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interestingly. Twice recently. My DSL has worked while my landline has been as dead as a hammer. Two different AT&T IR (Installer-Repairman) gave me the same explanation: POTS service is provided by copper wire powered by negative 48VDC. POTS systems use positive ground. POTS requires that both the negative and positive sides of the cable pair be intact. On the other hand, DSL uses only the positive side of the cable pair. So my DSL service was not affected. Also, interestingly, I didn't miss the land line as long as the DSL was working. We have four cellphone in my household.

Both IR techs said that another AT&T group was working in the area preparing the cable for Uverse and had apparently cut the wrong cable pairs.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
What we need to replace is the Postal Service.
UPS, DHL, et al have already done that; the postal service can run 1B in the hole each year, the others can't, so usps is still walking dead.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I read the headline and was about to totally agree with you but then I realized that you said POTS and not POTUS.
I can hear Porky's eminent arrival theme song in the distance .......
Old 11-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As a retiree from Ma and her offspring, the phone companies would kill to get rid of the POTS systems. Of course, they would kill even more to get out from under the regulated requirements to provide universal service. I think the technology is there, but the political will is not (as usual). I'd have to put this in the "I've got to see it before I believe it" category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Remember party lines? If you picked up and heard a conversation, you hung up and waited.
Ah hahahaha! Sure you did. That's not how I remember it. I remember grandma picking up the phone and listening until she got caught. Even then she would just try to pretend to hang back up.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Gosh, I hope not. I like my rotary dial phones.
No reason you can't keep your old phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Understood. Worst case, you'll get the excitement and thrill of wiring up RotaTone modules for each of those rotary phones.

RotaTone | Rotary Telephone Pulse to Tone (DTMF) Converter Only 25

Rotatone Pulse to Tone Converter - Oldphoneworks
A good option. Another to consider is convert them into rotary cell phones, like this one. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/287

Quote:
Description: The infamous Portable Rotary Phone is an original rotary phone that has been modified to be a cellular phone. The Port-O-Rotary has a functional rotary dial, rings the original, loud metallic bells when a call is received, and even has a dial tone.
The best of both worlds?
Old 11-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
What's a rotary dial phone?
My dad had a rotary phone in his garage. About 10 years ago he asked one of the grandkids to go into the garage and call someone. They came out totally perplexed as to what to do - said they kept pushing the buttons and nothing happened.

I think a faux-rotary phone with round buttons inside the dial might be a good idea - retro - like us.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You kids. Don't make me stop this car. (Imagine your mother's voice)
Funny!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #30

I think the ultimate direction is to eventually have wireless replace all wireline technologies.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I think the ultimate direction is to eventually have wireless replace all wireline technologies.
I'd bet on it, though I don't know how long it will take (we'll probably waste funds perpetuating the old system longer than necessary). How many emerging nations have essentially bypassed antiquated hardwired telephone infrastructure and gone quickly and directly to wireless? It's a no brainer to me, but my 91 yo Dad would disagree...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
What we need to replace is the Postal Service.
Hold on there! A few years ago a snow event caused all delivery to come to a halt in my city. No Fedex, no UPS, no service trucks from the cable or phone company, no trash pickup. The ONLY organization that made its rounds was the USPS. They missed one day out of six. Everybody else was out for a week. FWIW, I can't remember the last time a piece of mail or a package went missing.. Otoh, a certain big private package service lost a very valuable package for me just this year.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

For a while I kept a Pots line for emergency use only. But at $360 a year that gets expensive.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #34

1. Doesn't anyone think that USPS's deal with Amazon is going to help them out? Me thinks this will save them.

2. I would consider dropping land line at home but I like having a answering machine that is common between DW and I. Maybe old school but I like it. Plus I tightly control who has my cell number.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
....2. I would consider dropping land line at home but I like having a answering machine that is common between DW and I. Maybe old school but I like it. Plus I tightly control who has my cell number....
We kept our land line number and went with Ooma. Pleased with the service and it has the common answering machine that you would like. I like that each time someone leaves us a voicemail that DW and I each receive an email with the message in an attached mp3 file. I like better that it only costs about $4 a month, but we do spring for the premier service which works out to an additional $10 a month but is is still only half of what we paid for POTS.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
It's also about guaranteeing that everybody has access to phone service.
History of Rural Telecommunications | About NTCA

Forced-access regulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rural phone companies popped up everywhere around here. They jump on a large carriers service and then undercut their price and steal their customers!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We kept our land line number and went with Ooma. Pleased with the service and it has the common answering machine that you would like. I like that each time someone leaves us a voicemail that DW and I each receive an email with the message in an attached mp3 file. I like better that it only costs about $4 a month, but we do spring for the premier service which works out to an additional $10 a month but is is still only half of what we paid for POTS.
Thanks, I will look that up. I have seen the commercials but did not pay attention.

Tags
telephone pots