Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Time to replace POTS - Plane Old Telephone Systems
Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,334
Time to replace POTS - Plane Old Telephone Systems

I bet we have a number of phone company retirees here. What do you think of this?

FCC chairman: US phone system needs Internet makeover | Mobile - CNET News
__________________

__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I bet we have a number of phone company retirees here. What do you think of this?

FCC chairman: US phone system needs Internet makeover | Mobile - CNET News
Not good news for investors that are long copper?
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
Jack_Pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 834
When they can guarantee everyone can get high speed internet (I can't at main home) it would be a good idea.
__________________
The Constitution. It's not just a good idea...it's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,439
I read the headline and was about to totally agree with you but then I realized that you said POTS and not POTUS.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not good news for investors that are long copper?
The amount of copper used in telecom is probably small compared to that used in the electrical systems. In addition if you have DSL all that really has to be done is to change the phone instruments out, and increase the speed of the link in some cases. You can still use the copper to move the DSL signals.
It is more about the regulated exclusive territory that is POTS. (and charging for long distance etc, remnants of the past when ATT charged a lot for long distance to subsidize the local service).
__________________
meierlde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,334
It's also about guaranteeing that everybody has access to phone service.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
AT&T already has plans to shut down the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) by the end of 2018.

AT&T Pushes the All-IP Telco - Unified Communications Strategies

http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Regula...ceProvider.pdf

The FCC has had it's technology advisory committee and working groups poking at this since 2011:
http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/tac/TA...esentation.pdf

The change effectively moves all customers onto what AT&T sells as UVerse Voice service. You may not see any changes in the home, but those copper pairs your phone connects to will (and may already in UVerse deployment areas) end within a few blocks at an analog interface attached to an IP-DSLAM (Internet Protocol Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) These gadgets and some fancy gear elsewhere replace the central switching local telephone exchange plant full of "time-division multiplexing" gear (which replaced tremendous racks of cable and stepper relays that supported rotary phones).

Without the need for the central switching, the phone company quite literally frees up some pricy real estate. (33 Thomas St and 375 Pearl St in Manhattan among thousands of others...)
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,146
Gosh, I hope not. I like my rotary dial phones.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
HawkeyeNFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Gosh, I hope not. I like my rotary dial phones.
What's a rotary dial phone?
__________________
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
The article was very simplistic...
The incredibly large spiderweb of wire that connects almost all of America is hugely expensive to maintain.
Would like to see a discussion of the upside/downside of this... As in...
What happens to DSL?
What part of "wired" would be eliminated for expense purposes? rural? or maybe all?
How much of the internet is represented by DSL?
Would elimination of analog free up more DSL?
What about cable competition... Comcast and Time Warner a total monopoly? More than now?
Seems like Internet Protocol would be a relatively easy changeover at a comparatively low conversion cost... ie. modem and basic phone.

Politically and morally, the question of 130 years of legal and monetary subsidies, and the public's ROI? But few would even understand that.
http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...ublic-property
__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Gosh, I hope not. I like my rotary dial phones.
One of DW's cousins has one in his living room, I forgot where he said he got it. The real deal, black, desktop type, and heavy as a boat anchor. I hadn't seen one of those since the 1950's.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 534
I always thought POTS was Plain Old Telephone Service.

POTS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
The article was very simplistic...
The incredibly large spiderweb of wire that connects almost all of America is hugely expensive to maintain.
Would like to see a discussion of the upside/downside of this... As in...
What happens to DSL?
What part of "wired" would be eliminated for expense purposes? rural? or maybe all?
How much of the internet is represented by DSL?
Would elimination of analog free up more DSL?
What about cable competition... Comcast and Time Warner a total monopoly? More than now?
Seems like Internet Protocol would be a relatively easy changeover at a comparatively low conversion cost... ie. modem and basic phone.

Politically and morally, the question of 130 years of legal and monetary subsidies, and the public's ROI? But few would even understand that.
Are U.S. Telecom Networks Public Property?

Using IP would free up tremendous capacity. Remember party lines? If you picked up and heard a conversation, you hung up and waited. with IP , I think many conversations could occur at the same time on one wire pair, similar to ethernet. The outer capillary lines would mostly remain copper, but the way they are used and traffic regulated on them would change.

Dsl won't go away unless something better and cheaper supplants it.
__________________
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Using IP would free up tremendous capacity. Remember party lines? If you picked up and heard a conversation, you hung up and waited. with IP , I think many conversations could occur at the same time on one wire pair, similar to ethernet. The outer capillary lines would mostly remain copper, but the way they are used and traffic regulated on them would change.

Dsl won't go away unless something better and cheaper supplants it.
Note that one can make a regular call on a line with DSL, as the frequencies used are very different. If you put a regular phone on a line with DSL you need a low pass filter to use the phone. So to turn off the POTS is as much to end the regulated telephone service and go to all deregulated telecom, i.e. skype like services over DSL for voice if you insist on land line based voice or just use cell phones.
__________________
meierlde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One of DW's cousins has one in his living room, I forgot where he said he got it. The real deal, black, desktop type, and heavy as a boat anchor. I hadn't seen one of those since the 1950's.
I have four of them in service in my house. Here are three of them. The fourth is an old wall phone from the USSR and I can't find a picture. We have one push-button phone in the office in the event we need to "press one for ..."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg we 202.jpg (9.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg we 302.jpg (10.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg we 554.jpg (5.9 KB, 154 views)
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,906
What we need to replace is the Postal Service.
__________________
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I read the headline and was about to totally agree with you but then I realized that you said POTS and not POTUS.
+1
__________________
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have four of them in service in my house. Here are three of them. The fourth is an old wall phone from the USSR and I can't find a picture. We have one push-button phone in the office in the event we need to "press one for ..."
Understood. Worst case, you'll get the excitement and thrill of wiring up RotaTone modules for each of those rotary phones.

RotaTone | Rotary Telephone Pulse to Tone (DTMF) Converter Only 25

Rotatone Pulse to Tone Converter - Oldphoneworks
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RockyMtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I read the headline and was about to totally agree with you but then I realized that you said POTS and not POTUS.
bye bye to both if you ask me. Ok...semi political but only 50%
__________________
FIRE'D in July 2009 at 51...Never look back!
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,146
You kids. Don't make me stop this car. (Imagine your mother's voice)
__________________

__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
telephone pots


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.