Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am excited to "re-start" my exercise program. I was down to 228 pounds before I broke my ankle last April. I gained 20 pounds, which made me quite upset. I forgot how much you need your feet and legs to work out......

I have lost a couple pounds, and my goal by the end of 2009 is 210 pounds. I am almost 6' 3" so I can hide excess weight a little, but it always shows itself in my face.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You are the one with the dog, correct? How's that going? Do you take him for a walk?
I would call that a good workout.

tmm

Old 12-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am excited to "re-start" my exercise program. I was down to 228 pounds before I broke my ankle last April. I gained 20 pounds, which made me quite upset. I forgot how much you need your feet and legs to work out......

Working out with friends makes it easier:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg illeagal entry.jpg (45.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Where are the artichoke hearts and garlic stuffed olives? That's what I did last time I grocery shopped while hungry.
LOL! I made the mistake of going to Costco hungry. Yep! A large (and I mean LARGE) jar of pickled artichoke hearts went home with me.

We follow a reduced carb diet, except for a once or twice per month carbohydrate orgy of pizza or some decadent dessert. DW and I are both within about 10% of ideal weight.

The holiday season is always a struggle. We do have better luck avoiding junk foods now that we're empty nesters. The kids always wanted some kind of tempting sugary crap around. It also helps that we live in the country, 13 miles from any kind of store. No worry about impulsive ice cream runs down to the corner market.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
(snip) We follow a reduced carb diet, except for a once or twice per month carbohydrate orgy of pizza or some decadent dessert. DW and I are both within about 10% of ideal weight. (snip)
My triggering event was getting on one of those coin operated scales in a store, going on eight years ago. It said I weighed over 170 lbs. I told my dad and he said he didn't believe the scale, because that was more than he weighed!

But even if 170 lbs was wrong, I was over 160 on my doctor's scale, so it was high time to do something about it! I have allowed myself one "anything goes" day per month since I started my alternative eating habits. I knew if I had to choose between stuffing and pie on Thanksgiving and the occasional meal at a restaurant, I'd never stick to the plan.

What I'd like to find now is a plan that doesn't involve eating so much meat. The one I am using has worked well for me, but it's awfully expensive! Does anyone here know of a good weight-maintenance program that's low-meat, or semi-vegetarian? I'm scared to switch, because I really don't want to get any heavier than I am now.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #26

yes, i am the one with the dog....a walk a day only gets me a little bit of exercise....and i admit i am not too fond of 14 degree walks. we horse around inside more on those coooold days....then spend more time fetching the bone and walking when its at least 30 degrees

i started on the treadmill...just taking it easy for the first week or 2....did 1/2 mile in about 5 minutes....pretty brisk pace imho....dont know how i ever ran 6 minute miles!!!!

I was a bit alarmed at my heart rate though....270 pulse after a 1 minute walking cool-down...definitely not cool....probably a recipe for a heart attack? I'd really have to pussy foot it to keep in my target range according to the american heart assoc. my resting pulse is 60-65, fyi

also pulled out the total gym and some freeweights to gradually work my way back into that....

wish me luck
Old 12-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
yes, i am the one with the dog....a walk a day only gets me a little bit of exercise....and i admit i am not too fond of 14 degree walks. we horse around inside more on those coooold days....then spend more time fetching the bone and walking when its at least 30 degrees

i started on the treadmill...just taking it easy for the first week or 2....did 1/2 mile in about 5 minutes....pretty brisk pace imho....dont know how i ever ran 6 minute miles!!!!

I was a bit alarmed at my heart rate though....270 pulse after a 1 minute walking cool-down...definitely not cool....probably a recipe for a heart attack? I'd really have to pussy foot it to keep in my target range according to the american heart assoc. my resting pulse is 60-65, fyi

also pulled out the total gym and some freeweights to gradually work my way back into that....

wish me luck
I'm not a medical professional but i'm pretty sure a pulse of 270 is not good. I'd recommend getting one of those pulse monitoring watches and keep your pulse between 120 and 160. At least make sure it stays under 200. Don't kill yourself!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

It's going to be a lot harder to lose the weight once you gain it. I'd say be aggressive about it. Get OK from the doc, then 6 days per week of 40 minutes of exercise with two days per week of serious weightlifting.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

A couple recommendations (that've worked for me) in re: exercise/diet regime:

Dr Ellington Darden's work ( drdarden.com ) on High Intensity Training (weights), saves me mucho workout time and his diet plan is supremely easy to follow -- many articles on his site and his books are often available on half.com -- one article in particular:

Dr. Darden's H.I.T.

And cardio: interval training saves me even more time -- and has bigger impact for me than slow/long cardio. I skip rope 3-5x a week in high intensity intervals. Takes some getting used to, but much easier on the knees (surprisingly) than my old running program. Google: "hiit" or "hiit jump rope" for some good articles.

- Stoop
Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #30

I have been the same size since high school (13 years), maybe a bit more muscle.

I have followed some of Darden's routines. Pretty tough actually despite taking less time. Very uncoventional approach in many cases.

Today, I walk the dog about 3 miles a day. I work out with weights about 3x a week. I don't follow any routines aside from trying to change things up in terms of weight lifting. I eat pretty healthy but don't consider it to be a diet nor do I track calories.

Jump rope is a GREAT way to drop weight. Fed, if you wanna a cheap way to do it - run or jump rope or some variation of both. Once you pick up speed on the rope, get a weighted jump rope. That takes it to another level.

BTW - by BMI standards, I am obese at 6'2" 210-215

Question I would ask myself if I were you - why am I binge eating?
Old 12-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I will be happy if I can just maintain my weight loss over the next two weeks. I lost 22 lbs this past year and went from sedentary to moderately active. At least I am headed in a forward direction with a fresh burst of buckledown that I'm saving up for the new year. Good luck to all!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

supra ventricular tachycardia

I want to echo Aaron's statement and also
encourage you to see your doctor. I am not
a physician, but I have been a paramedic for
a long time. Sorry for the alarming tone of this,
but if your pulse actually hit 270 or even
close to it, then you need to see your doctor
ASAP, and then go to see a cardiologist and
get a stress test. Do not delay. Go now.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #33

Your 270 pulse is a huge warning. I hope its a misread. Anyone with that pulse should visit the doctor - certainly before starting a cardio exercise program.

Interval training of treadmill power walking / weights is great for me. 5 minutes on treadmill, 1 set of weights, 5 minutes on treadmill, 1 set of weights...I do this for an hour 5-6 days a week. Very little stress on the joints.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #34

I am assuming/hoping it was a misread! the highest I have gotten it since is 180-190-ish. I thinking I took a 10-second read and multiplied by 10 (manually, carotid arrterty) instead of 6!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thinking I took a 10-second read and multiplied by 10 (manually, carotid arrterty) instead of 6!
This indicates a problem and you should go see a doctor immediately.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I always take a six-second read and multiply by 10. Easier and good enough for government work.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:30 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
BTW - by BMI standards, I am obese at 6'2" 210-215
I don't think so, unless you have something funky going on. I'm 6'1", and just recently celebrated my move from obese to merely overweght when I passed (going down) 227 lbs. That's just a height/weight BMI reading, so if you're using something else YMMV. But just based on height/weight you'd need to be over 233 lbs to be obese, and under 195 to be "normal".
Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #38

Another point of doing something every day is that you are more likely to consider your diet and not sit there pounding the cookies
Old 12-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't think so, unless you have something funky going on. I'm 6'1", and just recently celebrated my move from obese to merely overweght when I passed (going down) 227 lbs. That's just a height/weight BMI reading, so if you're using something else YMMV. But just based on height/weight you'd need to be over 233 lbs to be obese, and under 195 to be "normal".
Cool. So I am not obese after all, just a fatty.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Another point of doing something every day is that you are more likely to consider your diet and not sit there pounding the cookies
Funny you mention "pounding cookies". That's what i'm doing right now. I went to my parents for dinner and my mom baked me some cookies. She gave me a bag full and I just ate all of them in one sitting. The thing is that at 6'6" and 155lbs i'm actually hoping to gain a few but I won't. I never do. I think i'll start on my miniature reese's peanutbutter cups now.