Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For a high pulse like that, the first thing I would do is to go see to a Dr. to make sure it's OK for to exercise.

If the Dr. gives an OK, I would do the treadmill, but I would set it up so the speed is my normal walking speed. Maybe after a week of doing that, I would start increasing the speed a little bit.

I would also start some weight training.

At the same time, I would increase the amount of protein intake. I would probably do protein shakes and such. I read some studies where people who ate more protein lost weight even though they didn't decrease their carb intake and their caloric intake was higher than the group who ate the same amount of carbs. (The best tasting one I've found is Designer Whey - Strawberry flavor. You can find some good prices on the internet.)

tmm

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #42

yeah, the pulse was a mistake on my end. sorry for the confusion

im starting slow as to not burn myself out....trying to hit 3 days of cardio for 10-15 mins. weights 3 days as well...more of a high rep routine than i'm used to

in the past i tried to bulk up from 155 lbs using protein shakes and eating a lot of clean calories. i got up to 195 at about 19% Body Fat (nothing to write home about)...but I was 155 and 15% BF...so I figure I gained 15 lbs of fat and 25 of muscle...man did i look like a porker! but my max weight for reps in bench increased 60% over that time while my sqauts jumped almost 100%.

I'm not going for that look any more....prefer a leaner look these days....

Old 12-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm reading Body for Life, recommended my Moemg. That book would help you get the most out of your exercise sessions. Worth reading.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #44

Other than the fact thatI have a sinus infection,i feel better overall already. Not so bloated on fats and soda....less sugar ups and downs from candy

Over the last 3 months I have gotten into the habit of at LEAST 1 12oz soda at lunch and one at dinner....usually one before bed. If I was working, you could bet on a 32 or 44 oz fountain pop mid-day....and if we got breakfast (always mcd's) i had to get a small coke to drink...love their fountain pop. So just cutting the sugars and cals from those 2-4 pops/day should make the difference in itself!

I ran 1 mile today vs. the usual .6 or .7...didnt feel too bad. i'll post some results in a month or so
Old 12-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Other than the fact thatI have a sinus infection,i feel better overall already. Not so bloated on fats and soda....less sugar ups and downs from candy

Over the last 3 months I have gotten into the habit of at LEAST 1 12oz soda at lunch and one at dinner....usually one before bed. If I was working, you could bet on a 32 or 44 oz fountain pop mid-day....and if we got breakfast (always mcd's) i had to get a small coke to drink...love their fountain pop. So just cutting the sugars and cals from those 2-4 pops/day should make the difference in itself!

I ran 1 mile today vs. the usual .6 or .7...didnt feel too bad. i'll post some results in a month or so
As a former runner and marathon finisher (5) I have this to add:

Increase your mileage slowly.

Get a heart rate monitor. I just bought an Omron HR 100-C for $32.00. When I bought my first Polar monitor in 1991, it was $175.00........

Be prepared for inevitable setbacks. Consider cross-training to lessen the pounding of running.

Eliptical machines are nice. Little impact and cardio galore.

best of luck..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #46

Quote:
You know, if you quit all the soda and anything with a lot of sugar in it (you mentioned cookies and cotton candies in an earlier post>), even if you don't exercise, you will lose weight. If you could cut down on white carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes, bread) in addition you will lose more.

When I eat pasta, I make sure and eat salad (with low fat dressing) and fill half of the plate with some green/yellow/red veggies like cooked broccoli, carrots, red peppers and such. If I am still hungry, I eat more veggies.

tmm
Old 12-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

second

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm reading Body for Life, recommended my Moemg. That book would help you get the most out of your exercise sessions. Worth reading.
I'll second Al's recommendation of Body for Life. I've never
had so much energy as the twelve weeks I did that plan.

You can do it to gain or lose weight, too.
It's a very good plan.

-LB
Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #48

tmm...good points. thats why i cut out the soda and sweets! i also agree on white foods like potatoes rice and such. i try to sub those things for brown rice, whole wheat products etc.....if the first ingredient is enriched flour, i pass! i prefer to see whole wheats for my carbs

Here's what I bought for my snacking over the next 3 weeks or so (going on vacation to vegas...might be hard to limit my intake of crap food...all the buffets and rum n cokes!)

Lots of frozen broccoli and cauliflower-good filler for dinner

broccoli and carrots raw for munchin with a small amt of lowfat ranch

a few things of lowfat yogurt...limit myself to 2 a week

celery and lowfat cream cheese, also all natural peanut butter

whole wheat bagels for breakfast with lowfat cream cheese

Honey bunches of oats for breakfast- love em!

cashews, peanuts, almonds

beef jerky

lowfat triscuits

bananas and apples

crystal light to drink

pure protein bars...good nutritional profile for a quick snack high in protein, not too many sugars or fat

Hopefully these items sub for some of the worse things i was eating like fruitloops,tootsie rolls, pretzels, white bagels and reg cream cheese, cookies, premix iced tea, etc
Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #49

Man Fed, you sound a bit like a rabbit. Beef Jerky? How does that fit in. (heh)
Old 12-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post

Ever seen the huge fangs on some of those rabbits?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

a really easy way to lose weight thru calorie reduction is to avoid foods with corn syrup in them. you will be amazed to see where corn syrup is used and in what proportion in foods that are touted as "healthy".
a simple experiment - weigh yourself. record the time of day and what you were (or not ) wearing.
for 1 week, read labels on foods already in your house. if corn syrup is in the top 5 ingredients, set it aside on a box or in an empty shelf. don't eat it or give it to the thinnest person in the house.
eat other foods as usual. just cut out the corn syrup sweetened foods.
at the end of the week, weigh yourself again at the same time of day, same outfit.
donate the box of uneaten food to the local food bank or church. hungry people could use the calories.
revise your shopping list to avoid this hidden calorie source.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #52

Quote:

haha a rabbit? better than a fatman i guess?

i Looooove jerky. i should start a thread about it actually.homemade, storebought, whatever...i eat a lot....and its really good 4 u if you dont eat crap like slimjims! a serving might have 80 cals and a good 15 g of protein with limited fats...
Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #53

Yeah, I was thiniking slimjim. I don't eat that stuff so I don't know much about it.

I don't know how long you'll be able to have a steady diet of the other stuff though.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know how long you'll be able to have a steady diet of the other stuff though.
'til he is ready for lunch?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #55

Broccoli and cauliflower as a filler for dinner? Come on Fed, stop it you're killing me.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Broccoli and cauliflower as a filler for dinner? Come on Fed, stop it you're killing me.
The consumption of which will stimulate his caveman instincts, and it will be over to Outbacks for a huge steak and a blooming onion..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #57

Either that or an hour later he'll have a bag of chips in his lap.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #58

what's the deal? you guys dont like broccoli? some of my favorite dishes, most which originated during some sort of health kick, have cooked broccoli and cauli in them....i love it! do a google of 'negative calorie foods' and you'll see why

Take some broccoli and cauliflower...maybe some sliced squash and zuchinni if you're feelin ...err...rabbity.....sautee them all in a panon high heat with some butter....flavor with a lot of garlic,seasoned salt, and pepper....then a bitmore butter. Or, skip the spices and use abut 1/3 or 1/2 packet of montral marinades like garlic and herb or peppercorn. we serve these seasoned veggies with 2 or 3 meals a week. sometimes i just throw in some browned steak slices, chicken or shrimp and serve it over rice or pasta for a SIMPLE meal. you like alfredo, but not the fat feeling after pasta alfredo? do all of the above but sprinkle on a little parmesan cheese and dump in a mixture of 1/2-1 cup skim milk and flour....let it get bubbly and you're set
Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
The consumption of which will stimulate his caveman instincts, and it will be over to Outbacks for a huge steak and a blooming onion..........

hey! easy there! nothing wrong with a healthy steak now and again. i have really limited fried foods though.... in the last week i've had wings before a cavs game,as that is my lucky meal....and i plan to keep it that way....so no bloomin onions!

the key to any sustained healthy eating habits, in MY experience, is a good day of cheating as needed....usually i feel guilty enough to moderate it somewhat. but im not the type of guy to miss out on thanksgiving or christmas dinners because i need eggwhites and a protein shake to make me feel healthy. sheeeshhh...pass the pumpkin pie will ya?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 AM   #60

thefed,

you crack me up!
This is a hilarious thread!!!!!!!!

Keep the humor, lose the weight :->
Go fed, go, go, go!

tmm