Join Early Retirement Today

Time to start exercising...I disgust myself!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Time to start exercising...I disgust myself!

Geez....I disgust myself thoroughly. Christmas-time does it to me every year....7-layer cookies, snowballs, chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, peanut butter cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate molds, macedamia cookies etc (these are what i've eaten IN THE LAST WEEK...and with much gusto I should say)

I am not doing lawn care right now so my cheap n easy exercise routine is gone by the wayside....eating what i wish when i wish is gone too (until spring). Last winter I gained 35 pounds...then lost about 40 in the first 6 weeks of spring...not this year!

I gorged myself yesterday after I swore I was going to stop...I ended up eating a few cookies for lunch, then at 3pm ate 20 mcnuggets, a few more cookies, a 32 oz gatorade....then a nap...then off to the cavs game where i drank 7 tall rum n cokes in 1.5 hrs...then a bag of peanuts and a cotton candy...THEN.....for the first time in 5+ years.....I ralphed. I dont throw up often...only when I'm very sick....but this time I think i ran out of room! I was a bit tipsy, but not hurling tipsy...i hold my alcohol well...but i literally ran out of room.

I DISGUST MYSELF.

Starting today I'm going to use the treadmill at least 3x/week...and lift some weights just as often. I want to maintain my gut and keep my weight below 170 (im 5ft 10.5in). 160 feels healthy and when I get down to 153-155 I look skinny....but I do like seeing the abs!

I will double check, but I imagine my weight right now is around 165.

Wish me luck!!
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, That was quite a binge! Good luck with the exercise program! But at around 165 lbs for a 5ft 10.5in frame, you don't seem that out of shape...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Usually I get my weight loss inspiration from Thanksgiving, I guess, because I seem to do best in December. I re-joined Weight Watchers last weekend, and have been staying on that program perfectly and going to the gym faithfully this week. I expect to be down on Saturday!

Whether I am or not, I am going straight to the gym afterwards. I didn't go at all for a few weeks in late November, but by now I have gotten back to my usual level of weights and have actually increased my cardio time. This is a great time to go to the gym, because it seems relatively empty compared with the January rush.

As for your binge.... the sugar in all those cookies and cotton candy would really have triggered me, too! It's a lot easier for me to eat sensibly if I don't eat that much sugar.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #4

It has to become a lifestyle. The first five minutes on the treadmill are the hardest.

I made the mistake yesterday of going to the grocery store when very hungry, something I usually have the sense to avoid doing. Spent $230, on not only the stuff on the list, but two pot roasts (BOGOF), and then of course I had to get the fixins for the beef stew I'm going to make with them, and eggs, cheese, ham, diced onions and green peppers for the omelets I'm going to make. Oh, and about a two-foot stick of pepperoni. Dummy. But at least I did get some salad makings, apples and bananas too. And DW wants to go to Outback for steaks tonight.

But this morning on the scale I was 147.5 and at 5'9" that isn't too bad. I guess all that greasy stuff won't kill me if I don't make a habit of it.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It has to become a lifestyle. The first five minutes on the treadmill are the hardest.

I made the mistake yesterday of going to the grocery store when very hungry, something I usually have the sense to avoid doing. Spent $230, on not only the stuff on the list, but two pot roasts (BOGOF), and then of course I had to get the fixins for the beef stew I'm going to make with them, and eggs, cheese, ham, diced onions and green peppers for the omelets I'm going to make. Oh, and about a two-foot stick of pepperoni. Dummy. But at least I did get some salad makings, apples and bananas too. And DW wants to go to Outback for steaks tonight.

But this morning on the scale I was 147.5 and at 5'9" that isn't too bad. I guess all that greasy stuff won't kill me if I don't make a habit of it.
Where are the artichoke hearts and garlic stuffed olives? That's what I did last time I grocery shopped while hungry.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Starting today I'm going to use the treadmill at least 3x/week...and lift some weights just as often. I want to maintain my gut and keep my weight below 170 (im 5ft 10.5in). 160 feels healthy and when I get down to 153-155 I look skinny....but I do like seeing the abs!

I will double check, but I imagine my weight right now is around 165.

Wish me luck!!
According to BMI the most you should weigh to be healthy is in the upper 160's. To "look skinny", but not underweight, you should be in the 130's.

Of course BMI isn't always accurate particularly if you have more than average muscle.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Where are the artichoke hearts and garlic stuffed olives? That's what I did last time I grocery shopped while hungry.

When I shop when hungry potato chips show up in my bag and maybe a chocolate bar !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

For whatever reason I always add about 5 lbs during the winter months even though I still do my daily 2-1/2 mile jog. DW calls it my fluffy winter coat.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
According to BMI the most you should weigh to be healthy is in the upper 160's. To "look skinny", but not underweight, you should be in the 130's.

Of course BMI isn't always accurate particularly if you have more than average muscle.
Huh? When I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago, people were telling me I looked "too thin" at 130 lbs—and I'm 5'7" and female! A 5'10", 130 lb man sounds underweight to me.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Huh? When I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago, people were telling me I looked "too thin" at 130 lbs—and I'm 5'7" and female! A 5'10", 130 lb man sounds underweight to me.
130lbs for a 5'7" female is 20.4 BMI which is a very healthy weight, not at all underweight or overweight. 130lbs for a 5'10" male is 18.7 BMI which is on the low end of healthy weight but is not underweight.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #11

Quote:
130lbs for a 5'7" female is 20.4 BMI which is a very healthy weight, not at all underweight or overweight. 130lbs for a 5'10" male is 18.7 BMI which is on the low end of healthy weight but is not underweight.

I would look anorexic at 130...lol....i'll try to dig up some pics from this summer at 153-ish....

But like you said, bmi can be skewed by those with a decent amount of muscle. I'm no muscle man, but I'm pretty solid in my upper body...especially chest area....so maybe that's part of it?

My buddy weighed 130-ish at 5-10 in high school and looked like an anorexic scrawny little turd
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #12

Quote:
130lbs for a 5'7" female is 20.4 BMI which is a very healthy weight, not at all underweight or overweight.
LOL, that's what I told them!

I have never believed those Miss America contestants who come on TV and say they are 5'7" and weigh 107 lbs. I bet it's closer to 127 and healthier too at that height. I've seen photos of me at 118 lbs, and I can tell you, even 11 pounds heavier than the contestants' claimed weights, I didn't look the least bit like Miss America! What I looked like is someone who hadn't been getting enough to eat (though in my case I was eating OK and worrying it all off afterwards). No wonder eating disorders are so widespread, when girls are led to believe they can get to a famine-level weight and look like a contestant in a beauty pageant, or they have to weigh 107 or they're "too fat".

I stayed down around 130-135 for a couple of years . Then I got a much more sedentary job, so now I'm back up to about 145 which is IIRC at the upper fringe of "normal" BMI for my height —but at least it's not as much as I used to weigh !

Quote:
130lbs for a 5'10" male is 18.7 BMI which is on the low end of healthy weight but is not underweight.
Well maybe. I will have to ask my older brother what he weighs. He's 5'10, he runs a lot and looks mighty thin to me, but I bet he weighs more than that.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:11 AM   #13

Quote:

I'm so glad you put in the disclaimer. Too many people believe the BMI is the end all and be all for weight measures.

If you look too skinny at a given weight that sounds proportional (like 5'7" 130lbs) then you most likely have decent muscle. Many beauty queens do not have much muscle. Their training is mostly going to be cardio and light weights, if they even train. Conversely if you look fat at a weight that seems proportional (like 5'7" 130) then you probably do not have much muscle and your weight is coming from fat.

I was watching the TV guide channel the other day and Celebrity Fit Club was on. One of the fat celebs weighed 10lbs less than I do and is the same height. To look at definition between us, he looked like a deflating beach ball, while I have good definition and look much thinner than him. Gotta love muscle tone.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:45 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

thefed, the secret of success is to make it part of your daily routine. Once it is the sameas brushing your teeth, having lunch and other daily activities you only really notice if you skip its not thathard to keep up with it. Of course, fitting the gym time in between work, family obligations, etc. can be a real challenge, and when you get injured it is easy to fall off the horse and stay off.

I think the BMI is bunk, mostly, except for sedentary folks. I'll never be down in the supposed optimal range for my height (5'11" and 187 pounds now), but just about every indicator of health is in very good ranges (aside from the receding hairline).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Photos of individuals at various BMI here:

Illustrated BMI Categories - a set on Flickr

It's just a number.
deepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just bought a treadmill and hopefully I will continue to use it. I'm 6' and 204lbs. A few years ago I was up to 230lbs and I went on the low carb diet and got down to around 195. I was also walking the golf coarse and actually felt good. I'm going to cut out the sweets and try and do 30min to an hour a day on the treadmill. I'd be happy to get to 185-190.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I must have been blessed with a great metabolism. 5'11", and have ranged from 165 to 185 since high school over 40 years ago. Developed what some would consider bad habits over the years: don't usually eat breakfast or lunch (maybe a few chips with cheese), then eat a pretty big dinner a couple of hours before sleep time. Don't drink water or milk--drink coffee, lemonade, diet soda (with lots & lots of ice). Through the years, ate as much as I wanted (holiday get-togethers, I was the guy who would over-fill his plate 3 or 4 times, with everybody saying, "How can you do that?") Since retirement, don't load up a lot anymore, and seem to eat a lot less. Just had both my hips replaced 2 weeks ago, and now while in recovery (and boredom at home), started eating breakfast: usually a bowl of dry mini-wheats (no milk), with 4-5 prunes (had trouble getting regular after surgery). After surgery ballooned to 175+ due to leg swelling, but now down to 165, where I usually am. Wife is completely opposite---she can smell a truffle and gain 2 lbs--go figure.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:42 AM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

I can totally relate. Without the dog, I'd get no exercise. And this time of year is deadly. At work, the chocolates and other goodies show up daily. At home, I'm consoling myself with still working/two jobs and the cold weather and juggling everything else with junk food at night.

Yeah, I too need to get it together.
counting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't think misery should love company, but it will be interesting to see the Oprah thing about her constant battle with weight, and recent gain of 40-60 and now at 200. If anybody can afford the gym, special foods, trainers, and exercise equipment for the home, it's got to be her. Realize the thing she's probably most short of is time, with the busy schedule.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

my weight had always been on the high side during my beer drinking, chicken wing and pizza years.
simple weight control methods that worked for me -
- gave up all alcohol drinking over 2 years ago. i have an NA beer (60 calories) if i have a taste for a cold brewski. i can have 3 of these to equal a regular beer, in calories.
- got away from the office grind - no more hours of inactivity under high stress.
- eating small amounts frequently throughout the day vs scheduled big meals. "munchies" feelings must wait for 15 minutes to pass.
- staying out of bigger grocery stores as a life habit. they are professionally designed for you to fail and spend more on junk food.
- i weigh myself every AM. if a lb or two crept on, i just eat less high calorie stuff and do some medium exercise that day.
- if i ate a lot 1 day, i totally behave for the next 2.

at 5'7" and 179 lbs, i am classified as obese on any std height/weight chart. like anyone else in our age group, i could stand to lose 10 lbs to get rid of a slight midlife belly bulge. but my doc sez this is a good weight for my build, and he's the expert.
so where did i leave my chocolate?