Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Time vs. Money
Old 10-21-2005, 09:54 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Seriously Nords, When you were 8 years old on Christmas morning, I'm sure you hoped you would be just as excited about it when you were 40.
Yeah, well, you haven't seen the holidays I went through at either of those ages, but let's just say that my eight-year-old self had NO idea how much more fun it could be at 40...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2005, 10:02 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Getting out of the rat race asap is definitely great. I just said bye bye to megacorp at age 36. I will continue to work part time for myself. However, my health is perfect so I can get good insurance for next to nothing and that is a biggie for many. I read the Your money or your Life book. It had many good things - on the other hand I wondered whether they went from 40 hours working to 40 hours graphing expenses and squeezing pennies. The budget was just unreal and demanding a very spartan lifestyle. I need some fun and a cushion in case something goes wrong - healthwise or otherwise.

Vicky

Old 10-22-2005, 07:02 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yeah, well, you haven't seen the holidays I went through at either of those ages, but let's just say that my eight-year-old self had NO idea how much more fun it could be at 40...
I have no idea what this means, but I just wrote to a good friend about
my "Christmas experiences". Although I frequently enjoyed the gatherings
of friends and family, the other aspects of Christmas have been mostly
torture over my entire life. Few real warm fuzzy memories. Especially
in my first marriage, Christmas was expensive and labor intensive.
Bah Humbug!!

JG
Old 10-22-2005, 07:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Don't mean to poop on a nice forum like this BUT:

The SO had a colonoscopy on Monday - Wednesday they cut out a small cancerous tumor - out of ICU yesterday.

We did get eleven years of ER in before this.

No indication of any spreading - but time has jumped on the value scale vs money.

Hi unclemick! Hey, for unclemick (or anyone) what is the average cost for a colonoscopy these days?

BTW, the "time scale jump" hit me in 1992, like a bolt our of the blue.

JG
Old 10-22-2005, 10:16 AM   #25

Quote:
The SO had a colonoscopy on Monday - Wednesday they cut out a small cancerous tumor - out of ICU yesterday.

No indication of any spreading
Sorry to hear about that -- hope the news continues to be good on that.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #26

I've mentioned this before, but my recollection of Doc Ball surfing in Surfing for Life, was him feebly standing up on a very big board on a small wave and surfing in to shore in a straight line. I don't want to minimize it, I just want to make the point that you don't have fun surfing at 80 the way you have fun surfing at 20.

I've been real big into skiing, windsurfing, and surfing at times in my life, and I can say that even at 52 I can't enjoy them the way I used to. Hitting the moguls hard for six hours in a row -- not going to happen any more.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Unclemick,

I hope everything turns out alright for your SO. Sounds like they caught everything in time. Best of luck.

LL
Old 10-22-2005, 11:00 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I've mentioned this before, but my recollection of Doc Ball surfing in Surfing for Life, was him feebly standing up on a very big board on a small wave and surfing in to shore in a straight line.* I don't want to minimize it, I just want to make the point that you don't have fun surfing at 80 the way you have fun surfing at 20.

I've been real big into skiing, windsurfing, and surfing at times in my life, and I can say that even at 52 I can't enjoy them the way I used to.* *Hitting the moguls hard for six hours in a row -- not going to happen any more.
True, as long as it's still fun. Although the image I have of Doc Ball is watching him ride a skateboard for a couple blocks and then hop off it as though he was just in his 40s or 50s.

Considering the alternative of quitting whatever sport I enjoy, I don't mind trading giving up raw speed & reflexes for the challenge of using my experience to produce a smooth ride. And the signs of age let me get away with grabbing an extra wave or two that would have fueled some competitive discussions if I was in my 20s. I also was much more self-conscious about my apparent skill (or lack of it) when I was younger and now I don't care as long as I'M having a good time.

Age is at least as much perception as reality, and I'm deep into denial. Perhaps it's a family trait. I visited my grandfather one day when he was 95 or so. He'd usually be up & dressed and sitting in his chair in a semi-private room, but the other occupant was always snoring in his PJs and I never saw him in anything resembling consciousness. My grandfather used to tell me "When I feel sorry for myself I just think of that guy-- he has a lot of problems because he's really old!"

The staff told me that the "really old guy" was 73.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #29

Unclemick, I truely hope everything is fine and that they caught things early.

Cj

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:56 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Unclemick, I hope all works out well for your SO. Best of luck!

Bruce
Old 10-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Uncle Mick,
If you ever feel the need for a second opinion on SO health issue, you have an option, of catching a cheap southwest airlines flight into st louis, leave almost hourly to and from, riding the metrolink from the airport directly to Barnes Jewish Hospital. It is a very good hospital with lots of success stories in all areas of cancer and other diseases. Consistently is considered one of the top 10 hospitals in the world.
Helios
Old 10-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Even as a young man I realized that time is before money. I became a school teacher. I last worked during a summer month when I was 18 years old. I retired at age 53 as soon as the age plus years of service qualified me for full benefits.

I will pray for your SO UncleMick. I lost my wife in March and well know the value of time. Having presense of mind to appreciate the importance of time helps one extract as much enjoyment and grace as possible, but nothing can slow it down. I continue to observe the slipping away of time as we all do but it seems to accelerate with age.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
Getting out of the rat race asap is definitely great. I just said bye bye to megacorp at age 36. I will continue to work part time for myself.
Do you have anywhere near enough money to retire, or are you counting on letting your current investments grow while you live on most/all your PT income? I ask because I occasionally consider going PT even though I don't have near enough to retire on. I'm 35. I'm hoping to go PT for a year trial as part of my move back to Texas. Still waiting on word for whether or not I get the job. Well, actually I plan on working freelance a lot outside of the regular PT job, but I only have ideas and not specific plans or forecasts.

I really like the idea of getting more day-to-day time now, and I'd love to be able to take a couple of weeks or months off at my whim or between job assignments, but I also like making and spending money having the (false?) security of a regular FT job.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:40 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

UncleMick, sounds like the cancer was caught early. Besides the surgery, does she have to have chemo? Losing your home, moving to a new part of the country, and going through surgery all in a short time has got to be tough. Best wishes to the SO.

Ol' Rancher, I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your wife.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:49 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These - off the spreadsheet - minor events occur from time to time.

Too bad the LA legislature outlawed the S**t Happens bumber sticker - have seen a few Stuff Happens and Life is Short-Pray Hard though.

Other than the normal worry which is unavoidible - attempting the the stiff upper lip and planning to ER on.

No word on chemo yet - hoping they got it all. But only time will tell.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #36

UncleMick,

I am sorry for all of the tough times that you are going through. I hope they got it all also.

Ol' Rancher,

I am so very sorry to hear about your wife.

I will keep both of you in my prayers.

Dreamer
Old 10-23-2005, 05:00 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ol_Rancher, my sincere condolence on your loss. I hope the future holds happier times for you.

Unclemick, you've had more than your share of tough times this year. My best wishes for the health of your SO.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #38

Yes, I will add my best wishes as well. We are all put to the test
in one way or another. It seldom comes at the time or in the way
we expect. Anyway, we are all in this together in the end.
At least that is the way I look at it.

JG
Old 10-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Unclemick,

You and your SO are in my prayers. God Bless you both!

Momtwo
Old 10-23-2005, 05:35 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Ol' Rancher,

I am also sorry to hear of your wife's passing.

LL