Times have changed for auto industry
Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Times have changed for auto industry

Who would have imagined this:

Quote:
Bloomberg.com: Exclusive

Ford agreed today to sell Jaguar and Land Rover to India's Tata Motors Ltd. for $2.3 billion, less than half what it paid for the two brands.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Ford agreed today to sell Jaguar and Land Rover to India's Tata Motors Ltd. for $2.3 billion, less than half what it paid for the two brands.
I love that name -- "Tata Motors." I want to be able to walk into one of their showrooms some day and exclaim, "Nice Tatas!"

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I love that name -- "Tata Motors." I want to be able to walk into one of their showrooms some day and exclaim, "Nice Tatas!"
Hurhurhur...

"On CNN's American Morning today, in reaction to Internet Correspondent Veronica de la Cruz's report on, among other things, an Indian company taking over Jaguar and the President of Honduras eating fruit on camera, exotically-named anchor Kiran Chetry said, "She started with Tatas and ended with melons. All right. There's a theme in Veronica's news this morning." "

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who wants to buy a 'high end' car from Hyundai?

Or from the makers of THIS
Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #5

I own a Hyundai has ran great and never given us a problem. Heck next time around Ill consider one of their higher end cars. But now looking at those TATAS my interest is piqued.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #6

Ford has to do something to slow down the losses. I believe that sale pretty much wipes out their losses from 2007. Hopefully they can reverse the trend and start making money again.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #7

Innovation would help Ford. We had a Windstar van but when we went shopping a couple of years ago, the new Freestyle (some marketing genius decided to name everything in the line with F names) didn't have many improvements compared to their competitors. At least they go rid of the 8 track player.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I own a Hyundai has ran great and never given us a problem. Heck next time around Ill consider one of their higher end cars. But now looking at those TATAS my interest is piqued.
Hyundai makes good cars. I was asking '"where's the snob appeal"?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Innovation would help Ford.
More innovation would help Ford, GM or Chrysler
GM's biggest innovation lately was On-Star (which I like from a safety standpoint), and Ford made some efforts with their Sync technology from Microsoft.
GM HAD a major opportunity for innovation with the EV1. With that technology Toyota never would have gained a foothold (or at the very least, not as big of one) in the hybrid market.
IF GM can deliver with the Volt, they may be able to take the lead. However, it has already slipped in targeted release date and I don't think the company will carry through with their plan.
I hope they surprise me
Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

You mean you think they will trash the brand more than Ford has? C'mon. The big Volvo is basically an expensive Taurus, and it is pretty obvious. I think they have done the same thing with Jag.

If Volve remained what it was 10 years ago, I would have been a prime potential customer and would probably have two in my driveway (vs. a Subaru and a Honda). Not any more. If I want one of those, I wil just by the Ford version.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

There is certainly a market for a $2,500 car. Upgraded to meet US safety/emission standards it would be what - $5,000? Still a great deal for a lot of people. It does not have A/C available, a deal-killer for many in the US, and A/C pulls about 8 hp, a big percentage of 52 hp.

But still, I think it would sell if it's reliable enough. A great short distance commuter car, but I don't want to think about what happens when it meets a Ford F-350 crew cab long bed head on.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
But still, I think it would sell if it's reliable enough. A great short distance commuter car, but I don't want to think about what happens when it meets a Ford F-350 crew cab long bed head on.
I think about this more than I used to. I have never driven much, and when I owned
a car it was usually a compact. A couple weeks after retiring in 2006 I was hit square
in the driver side door by a car going about 40-45. Fortunately I was driving my
roommates Crown Vic, so the foot-deep dent in the door / frame left me without a
scratch. If I had been in one of my compacts I would have been badly injured or
killed.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You mean you think they will trash the brand more than Ford has? C'mon. The big Volvo is basically an expensive Taurus, and it is pretty obvious. I think they have done the same thing with Jag.
Some of the Jags shared a platform with the Lincoln LS model. The Lincoln LS did not sell well, although I could have bought one in 2001 that was $42,000 with every option for $27,500 after all the dealer cash was applied...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote