Times must be good - displaying those tail feathers

Well, do not get banned then. Or if you get banned, you can still lurk and read the posts.

But I as some others here prefer to see you being able to post. :)

+1

I love this forum. I think the moderators do a great job. I have no beef with the way things are going.

I am just observing that in my 5 years here, I'm seeing a bit more bravado, a bit of strutting around with the tail feathers out. Nothing wrong with that. The most recent one that got me laughing was the $6,000 of checks waiting in the mailbox. Maybe a few too many threads bragging about this or that. No problems. You got the tail feathers, go ahead and strut them.

All this has me thinking we may be seeing a high. Of course, I don't know. Nobody knows. There's probably not enough history in this forum to gauge the future. It would be an interesting exercise to take the "brag temperature" of posts and try to determine future markets. :LOL:

It's probably a sign that the economy is going well, and has been for 7 years, so people are feeling more confident.

I agree about karma.But, DW and I look at each other and basically say,"Thank God we are to a point where we do not have to worry about every penny".
Tomorrow she is going to buy a new car and pay cash for it. Not a really expensive car, but the first one she did not have to make payments on.:dance:
I would like to thank all the posters to the "buying a car" thread.

I am just observing that in my 5 years here, I'm seeing a bit more bravado, a bit of strutting around with the tail feathers out. Nothing wrong with that. The most recent one that got me laughing was the $6,000 of checks waiting in the mailbox. Maybe a few too many threads bragging about this or that. No problems. You got the tail feathers, go ahead and strut them

This is the same guy who brags about having $2M and putting his kids on Medicaid :rolleyes:

This is the same guy who brags about having $2M and putting his kids on Medicaid :rolleyes:

Hey, back in the early 80s, I had family members who were very proud of showing off their Government Cheese. Not poor people mind you, just taking advantage of what was advertised.

That stuff was weird by the way.

Around here, the game is figuring out how to transfer all the assets from Gram to the adult children so Medicaid will pay for the nursing home.

Hey, back in the early 80s, I had family members who were very proud of showing off their Government Cheese. Not poor people mind you, just taking advantage of what was advertised.

That stuff was weird by the way.

That brings back some memories of what the media covered in the early 80s. The link above explains it well.

In the 2012-2013 time frame, in researching the nutritional value of raisin, I ran across an article about a raisin farmer in California protesting the confiscation of his raisins because he overproduced. He was penalized for being more successful than his fellow raisin farmers. What?!? Is this real?!? I researched it and it was indeed real. This "reserve" was created in 1949 as part of the New Deal.

I just followed up on this issue, and it turned out that this farmer protested all the way up to the Supreme Court, which ruled that the confiscation of overproduced raisins was unconstitutional and disbanded the "National Raisin Reserve" in 2015.

Man, this is stranger than fiction. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Raisin_Reserve.

Last edited:
...or they have 8 figures is the thing to do.

If you really want to be de[-]im[/-]pressed head over to Bogleheads.

"So I'm wondering if we can retire now given we only have our $12 million portfolio, plus 80% COLA pensions & maxed-out SS retirement.

In addition, my spouse will receive a $7 million inheritance from their recently-deceased parent/sibling/3rd cousin twice removed."

Last edited:
Around here, the game is figuring out how to transfer all the assets from Gram to the adult children so Medicaid will pay for the nursing home.

For some reason this bothers me though people doing tax planning, to avoid estate taxes, does not bother me. Not sure why. It's, of course, very common but just feels wrong to me.

For some reason this bothers me though people doing tax planning, to avoid estate taxes, does not bother me. Not sure why. It's, of course, very common but just feels wrong to me.

There was (probably still is) an exemption for a transfer of the home to an adult child who lived with and was caretaker to Granny for a few years (2?) before they had to enter the nursing home.

I see no problem with the above.

Wow! I knew about Government Cheese, but not raisins. (And almonds and few others.) All of this proves how hard it is to unwind a government program once started. Most of these took 50+ years to unwind.

"So I'm wondering if we can retire now given we only have our $12 million portfolio, plus 80% COLA pensions & maxed-out SS retirement.

In addition, my spouse will receive a $7 million inheritance from their recently-deceased parent/sibling/3rd cousin twice removed."
Yes. One reason I don't visit there much. You exaggerate, but not much!

We won't be at a high until we start seeing threads of "I have 15 million, can I retire?"

Right now we are only at ~$5 million figures in the threads so I think we still have a long ways to go.

Wow, im laughing and crying

We won't be at a high until we start seeing threads of "I have 15 million, can I retire?"

Right now we are only at ~$5 million figures in the threads so I think we still have a long ways to go.
When I used to watch Suzie Orman, and the Can I afford it part started, I used to wake up the whole house shouting, they just want to be on TV. I have 3.2 million, I make 225,000 a year, can I buy a pencil sharpener?

There was (probably still is) an exemption for a transfer of the home to an adult child who lived with and was caretaker to Granny for a few years (2?) before they had to enter the nursing home.

I see no problem with the above.

There are a lot of loopholes to qualify for Medi-Caid and I am quite familiar with them professionally speaking. My only point is I don't agree with it. To ME Medi-Caid is for poor people not for rich people that play shell games with their assets. Again, just my opinion.

I think it is $5.5M :)

I don't care about folks "strutting their stuff". I do not have to believe everything on the internet.:)

In the Warren Buffet "be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful" range, I am in the more "fearful" range, but that does mean I have fear. I am enjoying the highs but know at some point things will come down. The main issue is how low can it go before it would concern me. But having grown up without much and still enjoying my childhood, I can still be happy without much.

I was just thinking this morning, despite the North Korea situation, U.S. politics situations, Hurricane Harvey, gas/oil prices rising due to Harvey, etc. the market seems to just shrug it off. I don't know if this is a long term view, or just building up to a major fall. But I cannot worry about it.

What these good times mean to me is, when something like Harvey comes along, I can help others. I have family and friends in Houston that have been severely impacted, so it is nice being able to be very generous (at least in their eyes) in helping them.

Then visit money market mustache . I am 25 and sick of working I am going to retire on a $30,000 inheritance and just dumster dive with my bike that I put a tent over and live in.

Uh oh, this thread reminds me of....Whee! And we all know what happened after that.

Poor W2R, she'll never live that one down.

Oh! I was wondering where all that "Whee!" stuff originated. Thanks for the history lesson. :LOL:

Last edited:
I don't care about folks "strutting their stuff". I do not have to believe everything on the internet.:)
What these good times mean to me is, when something like Harvey comes along, I can help others. I have family and friends in Houston that have been severely impacted, so it is nice being able to be very generous (at least in their eyes) in helping them.

You have a good heart. When I was at ground zero, I think on the 12th or 13th, some one threw me a bottle of warm water and over ripened bananas. I wanted to kiss them for their generosity. Its been 16 years and I still remember that act of kindness.

Then visit money market mustache . I am 25 and sick of working I am going to retire on a $30,000 inheritance and just dumster dive with my bike that I put a tent over and live in.

And if you still get depressed with your low saving, head from MMM to cheaprvliving where people are 60 years old with only $2000 in saving and looking to buy a van to live in.

I guess there are always browner pastures. Even the person with $15 million would look like a pauper in the Medina area of Seattle.

And if you still get depressed with your low saving, head from MMM to cheaprvliving where people are 60 years old with only $2000 in saving and looking to buy a van to live in.

I guess there are always browner pastures. Even the person with $15 million would look like a pauper in the Medina area of Seattle.

A city of riches? Most Seattle filers make less than $50K, IRS data show

A city of riches? Most Seattle filers make less than $50K, IRS data show | The Seattle Times

Back
Top Bottom