Times must be good - displaying those tail feathers

This thread is hilarious! I really feel for the poor souls over at Bogleheads that somehow have amassed millions yet can't figure out if they can retire. A little bragging around here pales in comparison. However in my mind, working ever so slightly violates the basic definition of retirement. Even going to the mailbox and the bank to cash a check is too much like work. All your income must be auto deposit and all your bills auto pay with the former exceeding the latter.
Then you are free and truly retired. ( I'm not quite there yet but striving)

I first joined Bogleheads before I joined here. I remember doing the "list your portfolio and we will critique it" thread exercise over there.

Several long term BHeads members looked at it and told me to go back to work. :D

I first joined Bogleheads before I joined here. I remember doing the "list your portfolio and we will critique it" thread exercise over there.

Several long term BHeads members looked at it and told me to go back to work. :D

They're a rather conservative group over at BH.:nonono:

And if you still get depressed with your low saving, head from MMM to cheaprvliving where people are 60 years old with only $2000 in saving and looking to buy a van to live in.

I guess there are always browner pastures. Even the person with $15 million would look like a pauper in the Medina area of Seattle.

Yeah, I stopped looking at MMM after I read that to save money they shower once a week. That was the first and last time I visited that group.

Ah! Interesting thread!
At the time, our forum was smaller and it seemed to me that forum members were a little on the somber, crusty side. They were always griping when the market was down, and it seemed like they never acted cheerful and happy at all when it was up. So, in my innocent, extremely naïve way, I thought I'd express some cheer on the forum which I imagined might spread. Hence that thread, which I will never live down. :D

That's OK, I don't mind! I provide free crystal ball consultations using my very own crystal ball, which I bought at a local junk shop here in New Orleans. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

6978-albums71-picture509.jpg

I'm only driving in 3 days a week now but when I do my job is directly across from a church that is essentially a soup kitchen. It is a sobering reminder of how lucky (blessed) I am. I've seen women dragging their kids there so that they might have something in their belly.

I can't help but think ...So Ray your on top of the world eh? Watch that next step...

At the time, our forum was smaller and it seemed to me that forum members were a little on the somber, crusty side. They were always griping when the market was down, and it seemed like they never acted cheerful and happy at all when it was up. So, in my innocent, extremely naïve way, I thought I'd express some cheer on the forum which I imagined might spread. Hence that thread, which I will never live down. :D

That's OK, I don't mind! I provide free crystal ball consultations using my very own crystal ball, which I bought at a local junk shop here in New Orleans. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

6978-albums71-picture509.jpg

T-Al, Rewahoo , Nords ,Ha -Ha , Me and all other old time forum members . Are we crusty ? I did not think so . In fact I miss some of the humor from the old time members but I have used the Whee signal to my advantage several times . When W2 R says Whee I skim off profits . This has been more successful than any newsletter .

Last edited:
I learned of the BH forum after seeing it mentioned on this forum. Went there a couple of times, but did not lurk for long. BORING! Did not read it long enough to know if they were a bunch of rich or poor folks.

Plus they preach index investing as if it were a religion. There's a lot of goodness in that method, but they were such a bunch of hardcores, and I do not care for any kind of hardcores or zealots. Never care for any dogma. Can't stand it. Drive me nuts.

Last edited:
I don't think so. And it doesn't matter, it was just a funny quote. I can't remember the thread, but I think someone followed up with something like: "You use a mailbox? I'm better, I mine are direct deposit." :) Or something like that. All in fun.

No problem :)

I love this forum.

I'm seeing a bit more bravado, a bit of strutting around with the tail feathers out. Nothing wrong with that. The most recent one that got me laughing was the $6,000 of checks waiting in the mailbox. Maybe a few too many threads bragging about this or that. No problems. You got the tail feathers, go ahead and strut them.

For me this forum has provided me assurance that all the years of sacrifice and hard work have not been for nothing. That I didn't make the wrong choices by skipping the "in thing" of the day, so I could pad my savings. It also provides a place to share strategies with those that might be "young dreamers", even though real estate investing is heavily frowned upon. Some have gone so far as to call it a vehicle for those with less intellectual prowess then other methods of saving and investing.;)

As a relative new member I can't speak for days past, in the present there is a certain amount of freedom one finds being able to say I've achieved X and will do Y, without fear of being excluded from the holiday gathering out of resentment. Most who have ER have gotten to that point through hard work and sacrifice, in constant fear of having what they have achieved destroyed because someone is jealous and vindictive. This forum provides the safe space, minus the puppies:angel:, we all need to share, help and learn from one another.

There's a good diversity of ways invest to retire here. Someone put their idea right on their signature line, about "Bought a big bond fund." Someone else champions preferred stocks. We've had some really interesting discussions on real estate. Someone else publishes a market timing letter. And of course, the big one is index funds... but not everyone!

I'm glad there is diversity of opinion here and not some extreme mono-thought seen elsewhere.

I just kind of get the creeps when everyone seems to be doing well and we are having spirited discussions about which is best. I should be happy... but for some reason it is unnerving me. I felt that way in 2007 and still feel a bit scarred from it.

I just kind of get the creeps when everyone seems to be doing well and we are having spirited discussions about which is best. I should be happy... but for some reason it is unnerving me. I felt that way in 2007 and still feel a bit scarred from it.

I know its going to tank, I was always a glass half filled guy. Im not even looking at my last month performance, I think I lost money:LOL:. The ship is already starting to sink. According to this https://dqydj.com/net-worth-in-the-united-states-zooming-in-on-the-top-centiles/, Im somewhere between the top 2 and 5 %. I know its a house of cards waiting to fall. Good thing in my mind 50 Grand a year spending is all we need. No one from my starting point deserves to be this lucky. I wish I knew how to live larger, but my situation is such, that even if I had 10 billion I cant leave my elderly Mother alone. So a pre-fathers day dinner at 5pm and a high priced bottle of booze is about all Ill be spending big on this year.

I got off on a tangent, Yes Joe Im worried its gonna crash too, but its just on paper(for now)

T-Al, Rewahoo , Nords ,Ha -Ha , Me and all other old time forum members . Are we crusty ? I did not think so . In fact I miss some of the humor from the old time members but I have used the Whee signal to my advantage several times . When W2 R says Whee I skim off profits . This has been more successful than any newsletter .
So true. These days one has to step more carefully. Sometime I may need help in how to re-key a lock or something, and I don't want to be damned-I mean banned-at that time.

Ha

Last edited:
At the time, our forum was smaller and it seemed to me that forum members were
a little on the somber, crusty side. They were always griping when the market was down, and it seemed like they never acted cheerful and happy at all when it was up. So, in my innocent, extremely naïve way, I thought I'd express some cheer on the forum which I imagined might spread. Hence that thread, which I will never live down. :D
(emphasis mine)
T-Al, Rewahoo , Nords ,Ha -Ha , Me and all other old time forum members . Are we crusty ? I did not think so . In fact I miss some of the humor from the old time members [...]

Oh my, there must have been some kind of miscommunication going on there, Moe. :eek: Deep breaths! :LOL: I'm not wildly insulting individual popular forum members here.

Of course, among the five members you (not me) specified, nearly all have become close friends with me over the years, and they with me. Many of us keep in touch through numerous posts and PMs back and forth through the years, and I think many of us recall the tone of the board ten or fifteen years ago with nostalgia, and laugh together about some aspects of how it has changed since then. People come and people go.

My point was that actually before my Wheee!! thread, I don't recall seeing frequent positive threads like this one, in which people were talking about good times and displaying those tail feathers. Maybe you are right and everyone was just bubbling over with glee at the record market gains of that time? All those threads are still on the board, for anyone who wants to read them.

Last edited:
I learned of the BH forum after seeing it mentioned on this forum. Went there a couple of times, but did not lurk for long. BORING! Did not read it long enough to know if they were a bunch of rich or poor folks.

Plus they preach index investing as if it were a religion. There's a lot of goodness in that method, but they were such a bunch of hardcores, and I do not care for any kind of hardcores or zealots. Never care for any dogma. Can't stand it. Drive me nuts.

I'm with you. I think they have even more frugality dogma going on there. Like it's a religion. Spending less gets you closer to some state of "nirvana" or something.

Nevertheless the perception of "Strutting your stuff" can be risky on these type of forums. People really don't want to hear about other people's wealth. At least if it is more than theirs. Discretion is best but sometimes it's difficult to participate without some disclosure that might offend someone. Speaking from experience.

Last edited:
I did not know they are rich AND stingy too. Now, it may not be a boring forum after all. :)

I did not know they are rich AND stingy too. Now, it may not be a boring forum after all. :)

I do find it more boring there than here, except when somebody wants to know"what is a reasonable spending level". Or my favourite "Stealth wealth" and how to hide your wealth. Tend to be pretty smart guys and quite well read re investing issues. Still, all in all, a little too technical for me. Although, they probably tend to be a little more accepting of wealth level disclosure.

No threads about "what I had for breakfast" or "what brand of dental floss you use" there so if that kind of thing appeals to you, you will be disappointed.

.. Tend to be pretty smart guys and quite well read re investing issues...

The few times I visited in the past, there were discussions on what some of their gurus said. I do not follow any of these gurus, and so thought that with their doctrine they would not need to know of anything other than what Mr. Bogle says.

Is there a disconnect, or am I missing something?

By the way, some of these gurus got mentioned here too, else I would not know about them at all.

We're much smarter here then the MMM crowd and way better looking than the Bogelheads.

Definitely a lot more "new car" threads than a few years ago.

We're looking for a new car too :)

Yes, I'm looking forward to buying my first new car. I'm going to go right down the list and get everything I want and order from the factory.

I'm 62 years old and never bought a new car. That's gonna be another splurge - :)

Yes, I'm looking forward to buying my first new car. I'm going to go right down the list and get everything I want and order from the factory.

I'm 62 years old and never bought a new car. That's gonna be another splurge - :)

RobbieB, why a car, when you deserve a large Ford F150 Texas Edition with the custom badging, special leather interior (cowhide, of course), Triton V8 engine, killer stereo, etc? This will set you back a cool $75 Large, but that's only a couple of month's earnings.

I don't like trucks, never have.

Back
Top Bottom