Join Early Retirement Today

Times must be good - displaying those tail feathers
Old 08-30-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Times must be good - displaying those tail feathers

I love this forum. I think the moderators do a great job. I have no beef with the way things are going.

I am just observing that in my 5 years here, I'm seeing a bit more bravado, a bit of strutting around with the tail feathers out. Nothing wrong with that. The most recent one that got me laughing was the $6,000 of checks waiting in the mailbox. Maybe a few too many threads bragging about this or that. No problems. You got the tail feathers, go ahead and strut them.

All this has me thinking we may be seeing a high. Of course, I don't know. Nobody knows. There's probably not enough history in this forum to gauge the future. It would be an interesting exercise to take the "brag temperature" of posts and try to determine future markets.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I love this forum. I think the moderators do a great job. I have no beef with the way things are going.

I am just observing that in my 5 years here, I'm seeing a bit more bravado, a bit of strutting around with the tail feathers out. Nothing wrong with that. The most recent one that got me laughing was the $6,000 of checks waiting in the mailbox. Maybe a few too many threads bragging about this or that. No problems. You got the tail feathers, go ahead and strut them.

All this has me thinking we may be seeing a high. Of course, I don't know. Nobody knows. There's probably not enough history in this forum to gauge the future. It would be an interesting exercise to take the "brag temperature" of posts and try to determine future markets.

I might strut some feathers and it's for 1 reason, I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished. I'm totally reserved about talking personal finances in real life and never mention anything unless someone asks but on a forum, I don't care and let it rip.

I have a cousin who has inherited a large RE estate with around 12k a month income and tells everyone he knows and meets that he is a self made millionaire, exact words out of his mouth. My relatives in Hawaii that he makes sure to drop in on tell me this and I've heard myself many times. I have never mentioned my success to my relatives in Hawaii but everyone knows through gossip.

there's no need to strut feathers in real life, makes you look like a chump imo, but like I said, here, I don't care
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
I might strut some feathers and it's for 1 reason, I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished. I'm totally reserved about talking personal finances in real life and never mention anything unless someone asks but on a forum, I don't care and let it rip.

I have a cousin who has inherited a large RE estate with around 12k a month income and tells everyone he knows and meets that he is a self made millionaire, exact words out of his mouth. My relatives in Hawaii that he makes sure to drop in on tell me this and I've heard myself many times. I have never mentioned my success to my relatives in Hawaii but everyone knows through gossip.

there's no need to strut feathers in real life, makes you look like a chump imo, but like I said, here, I don't care
OK, fair enough
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
All this has me thinking we may be seeing a high.
I wouldn't mind a nice pull back for a buying opportunity. Been sitting on some dry power that I'm itching to put it work..
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I guess that I missed that one. Whatever.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradaz2488 View Post
I wouldn't mind a nice pull back for a buying opportunity. Been sitting on some dry power that I'm itching to put it work..
I'm also looking for at least a mild recession as I'll be house shopping soon. Yea, I'll pay cash (tail feathers up ).
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

No offense meant. I've been doing a bit of my own puffing.

What I mean is when it seems like your neighbors are suddenly talking about how they are making great money doing "x", it concerns me we are at a top.

Agree. I'm ready to buy into a pullback.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I try to remember that the next bear market is sure to pluck a few feathers out of that tail... But I am a lot more dependent on market returns than many here.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I won't be forgetting 2008-2009 any time soon.

But that said, why not strut and enjoy the good times, while they last?

Speaking of which, the bull market has been great to me. My portfolio has grown so much, it is as though I got my Dream Home for free. Well, for $5571 as of earlier this month, to be honest.

I am waiting/hoping for the market to grow just a little bit more, to where I can crow about getting my house for free since my portfolio is almost at its all time high, despite paying for the house in cash.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The last time I out and out bragged to someone (family) was 1999. A few months later, I got whacked over the head by the tech bubble. Maybe that is the source of my slight unease today.

I keep my mouth shut now, more out of maturity. But I gotta tell ya, I'd like to strut a bit about this upcoming ER thing (next Spring). But I'm pretty sure it would be shoved back in my face.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I post that stuff up as a diversion from all the frugality that usually pervades here.

Blow More Dough -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #12

Quote:

It wasn't a brag comment, my real estate income is the easiest money that I have ever earned, other than my divvies. It's taken me 17 years to have all units filled with paying tenants. That being said, the hardest money I made was that made in my 35 year career as a supervisor in a coal mine, which I loved daily.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Humans, in general, are pretty lousy at interpreting intent/emotional state of others, in person, let alone on-line. So, here i go with my interpretation. Think what is being expressed is most often more joy and relief at how absolutely wonderful the ER experience is, no matter how much we have in actual $. The "bragging" about things we have/buy/experience needs to be held more in that context. YMMV
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #14

Uh oh, this thread reminds me of....Whee! And we all know what happened after that.

Poor W2R, she'll never live that one down.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #15

Quote:
I keep my mouth shut now, more out of maturity. But I gotta tell ya, I'd like to strut a bit about this upcoming ER thing (next Spring). But I'm pretty sure it would be shoved back in my face.
not if you make it happen!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #16

I read a lot of old posts. I wanted to learn about how many "claimed" they handled the drop in the markets 2007-2009. I think an more honest look back is who here is now selling off, and holding a portion larger than their original AA in cash. I saw posts that I felt were dead on honest about getting crushed during the downturn. I saw posts with huge tail-feathers up claiming they knew this and that and sold and re-bought during the crash. I see fuzzy math and dates on some of the posters they had a crystal ball back then. lets go on record now before the correction/crash. Give me an old post thats says you sold and are waiting. Not the "Oh I sold last week", but didnt post it routine. I see posts on pens and sneakers Im sure If someone made a major move they would have posted about it. I enjoy a good tail feather post, I share your joy, knowledge and or luck. This would be a good gauge. And the ones that honestly have that crystal ball, bless you, Im a complete mush market timer. If I was alive in 1929 I would have been one of the guys doing a swan dive from the observation deck.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
not if you make it happen!
Yep! Need to get off my OMY duff.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Yep! Need to get off my OMY duff.
Joe your real close to the finish line, you already won. Oh, BTW I like your future strut, you earned it.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
I don't strut squat
Old 08-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #19

I don't strut squat

There's significant downside to showing off tail feathers. It will irritate people who are badly off and elicit derision from people better off. Worse, it would be inviting karma to pay me a visit, which never turns out well. The lioness stalks the wildebeest standing out from the herd, not the ones lost in the crowd.

More importantly, there is no upside. Achieving a financial goal doesn't confer a medal, a trophy, or a knighthood...

...although that would be cool. Instead of adding the letters KG or CBE, I could be known as SIR Mdlerth, FI.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
There's significant downside to showing off tail feathers. It will irritate people who are badly off and elicit derision from people better off. Worse, it would be inviting karma to pay me a visit, which never turns out well. The lioness stalks the wildebeest standing out from the herd, not the ones lost in the crowd.

More importantly, there is no upside. Achieving a financial goal doesn't confer a medal, a trophy, or a knighthood...

...although that would be cool. Instead of adding the letters KG or CBE, I could be known as SIR Mdlerth, FI.
Telling a guy on food stamps that your loaded should be a Felony, in here guys talking about spending 30 days in Timbuktu, or they have 8 figures is the thing to do.