Join Early Retirement Today

Tiny Bathrooms
Old 11-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Tiny Bathrooms

The story is about the shrinking bathrooms on airlines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...nl_most&wpmm=1

... but... the part I found most interesting was about the increase in weight for the average American, since 1960.

Men 196lbs... 30 pounds more
Women 166lbs... 19 lbs more.

Who knew?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
Administrator

Shameful imo and frankly a heath and sanitation issue. Just a few days ago I was on a flight with one of these sitting in the front of the plane close the bathroom.

One of the passengers became sick - not sure if it was flu or food poisoning or something else but spewage ensued. This person could not fit in the bathroom with the door closed. In order to face the toilet and bend over (usual position when retching) the door had to be open. We all watched and listened and as awful as I thought that was, it was surely much worse for the sick person.

Perhaps we need some regulation here to ensure basic services if airlines aren't willing to self regulate?
Old 11-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #3

I've read at least a couple of articles about the flight crews complaining about the tiny bathrooms; it's not just the passengers.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Until the public votes with their dollars and stops buying the absolutely cheapest airfare regardless of plane conditions, it won't stop.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Until the public votes with their dollars and stops buying the absolutely cheapest airfare regardless of plane conditions, it won't stop.
Maybe ... but for many routes, there is only one option. You either fly the equipment the airline provides or you don't fly.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On my international trip, I could always find one accessible loo. I suppose they are only on the wide body planes.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The front bathroom (next to the cockpit) on a 737 is ridiculous. The hull has a lot of curve in it that far forward so I cannot stand facing the toilet (I am 6'2") without bending backwards. I have gotten to really dislike flying.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don’t think the more expensive seats on US airlines come with better bathrooms.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The front bathroom (next to the cockpit) on a 737 is ridiculous. The hull has a lot of curve in it that far forward so I cannot stand facing the toilet (I am 6'2") without bending backwards. I have gotten to really dislike flying.
Have a seat.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Are you saying the first class bathroom is large ? or are you saying certain aircraft have large bathrooms.

Problem is to fly Chicago to NY, the airline does not let ME chose the plane used.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I truly dislike flying but oddly enough, my favorite part of it is the bathroom! I just like all the tiny fixtures and the compactness of it all.

I had to fly to Denver last month and on one of the flights we were very close to the front. At one point the flight attendants restricted access to the front lav. The pilot came out of the cockpit and a flight attendant entered the cockpit. The pilot used the lav and then went back into the cockpit and the co-pilot came out and used the lav. Finally, he returned to the cockpit and the flight attendant came out. All while another flight attendant blocked any passenger access.

I'm sure this happens on plenty of flights, I've just never sat close enough to notice it happening.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #12

They don't want passengers too close when pilots are using the loo because the average pilot consumes way too many bean burritos. It would probably turn you off that airline forever.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I can’t remember what kind of plane it was, it was an international flight, but all the bathrooms where downstairs under the main cabin. You walked down a flight of stairs in the middle of the plane into a foyer like area with doors to 4 bathrooms. Best bathroom setup I have ever seen on a plane.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Have a seat.
I was in a lav, standing midstream when violent turbulence hit. The lav was big enough I couldn't brace myself with one hand. Yeah, sitting is a good idea![emoji12]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I can’t remember what kind of plane it was, it was an international flight, but all the bathrooms where downstairs under the main cabin. You walked down a flight of stairs in the middle of the plane into a foyer like area with doors to 4 bathrooms. Best bathroom setup I have ever seen on a plane.
I was on an L-1011 sometime back in the dark ages, about 1985 or so. What I distinctly remember was in the back there was this "lobby" with a ring of 5 bathrooms around it. Roomy and nice. No lines up the isles. Vapors away from the seating.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I flew back to NYC on the Concorde from Orly in France in the late 1970's. I remember the bathroom was so small I could not stand up straight in it and I am 5' 11" tall. But it was one hell of a flight and a spectacular meal was served.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #17

Those of you who get most exercised about this topic should take a ride in an Air Force cargo plane sometime.

Restroom Facilities on a USAF C-130
Old 11-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Those of you who get most exercised about this topic should take a ride in an Air Force cargo plane sometime.
They just are NOT into luxury living, are they?
Old 11-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #19
Administrator

This is the head on a submarine. Once you become accustomed to it, no other toilet will ever distress you.

You operate it as follows: 1) the large black lever on the right is connected to a big ball valve at the bottom of the bowl. You make sure it is shut; 2) then you fill the bowl with a tiny bit of water, using the green valve handle on the left; 3) then you turn around, sit down and do your business; 4) then you stand up, turn around and, facing the fruits of your labors, you open the ball valve with the big lever while simultaneously admitting a little water to assist with the flush; 5) you then shut the fill valve (green handle) and the ball valve in turn.

The waste flows directly into what is called a sanitary tank. Periodically, it gets full and you need to blow it overboard. To do that, you pressurize the tank with 700 psi air and open the outboard valve. If someone should open the ball valve while the tank is pressurized, the waste will blow up through the ball valve instead of going overboard. Much disgust ensues. That's why they hang a tag on the ball valve handle (as is shown in the photo) when they are blowing the sanitary tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head.jpg (31.5 KB, 277 views)
Old 11-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I flew back to NYC on the Concorde from Orly in France in the late 1970's. I remember the bathroom was so small I could not stand up straight in it and I am 5' 11" tall. But it was one hell of a flight and a spectacular meal was served.
I thought those things were so fast, you wouldn't even need a toilet