Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlip View Post
Ya gotta be jokin'! Where does it stop for you poor Americans

Life is too short to have to make those decisions every day!

Next you will be telling me that you tip traffic cops. Well, I suppose that you have to sometimes in places like Vietnam but I would call that more of a bribe than a tip!
Hehe, I remember the old commercials for McDonalds gift certificates featuring holiday-crazed folks handing them out to cops, postmen, everyone. Even as a child that seemed excessive.

But this year I think I really did make a faux pas by not giving a Christmas tip to the doorman at my new residence. Live and learn.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
I NEVER got a tip and it NEVER occurred to me that there was anything unfair about that. So why is it that it’s somehow mean-spirited to think that waiters and waitresses really shouldn’t be tipped?
Bizarre, isn't it?

Either tipping is purely voluntary, or it isn't.
  • If it is discretionary, there is no excuse for snotty treatment of non-tippers, or the publication of stupid 'tip calculators' and similar forms of societal pressure.
  • If it is non-discretionary, the added amount should be included in the prices, so everything is 'on the table'.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Bizarre, isn't it?

Either tipping is purely voluntary, or it isn't.
  • If it is discretionary, there is no excuse for snotty treatment of non-tippers, or the publication of stupid 'tip calculators' and similar forms of societal pressure.
  • If it is non-discretionary, the added amount should be included in the prices, so everything is 'on the table'.
And instead we have some hybridized system where it's technically discretionary (in most cases) but there is a huge amount of social pressure to conform to it.

Personally I hate the tipping game, and I'd rather just see restaurants and bars and the like raise prices by 15% or so, pay their servers a decent wage and end the tipping nonsense. And it seems like more and more people in more and more occupations are expecting to be tipped.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Bizarre, isn't it?
....If it is non-discretionary, the added amount should be included in the prices, so everything is 'on the table'.
How else can I quickly learn a lot about the folks who join me for lunch or dinner? Cheap b*stards say, "you tipped too much," cheaper b*stards, remove some of the tip, even cheaper b*stards leave a pittance and a loud vocal insult. An old family friend did the third routine, after s/he left, I put down a 15% tip, removed a mess of napkins meant as an insult, and said to my niece, "we don't do that." Hope it took. Funny thing was, the family friend merely didn't like some frozen concoction she ordered, it was the sort of thing you could pick up at 7-11. Not the cook's fault.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #65

I actually DID tip food delivery guys pretty well. I miss delivery here.

I remember when my sis got married I offered to host a pre=wedding brunch for a cadre of out-of-town guests. I was paying the caterer something like a grand for 40 people. I had NO IDEA I was "supposed to" tip the caterers... It just didn't even enter into my head to do so since we had a fixed estimate/budget.. until it was kind of too late and I realized I was getting dirty looks from the crew as they were packing up.. I didn't have a particular problem with tipping per se, but I just wasn't prepared.. no one told me this was the catering praxis. So I was occupied with all the guests leaving in the midst of disgruntled caterers, leaving me with just a bad overall impression of what should have been a nice event for me.

Someone tell me now what amount one "should" tip caterers (and WHO should get the tips.. the manager?.. the crew chief on-site? the individuals?) just in case this ever happens again.

This is why I hate tipping!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Use the KISS principle
Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #66

Use the KISS principle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Someone tell me now what amount one "should" tip caterers (and WHO should get the tips.. the manager?.. the crew chief on-site? the individuals?) just in case this ever happens again.
You're under absolutely no obligation to tip any of them. And if they get surly, you don't give them any more business ... and you tell anyone who subsequently asks for a catering referral to keep well clear.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #67

I have never used caterers, so I had no idea that they were supposed to be tipped either. I always tip the pizza delivery person. I have never tipped a plumber or appliance delivery person or any similar person. Again, I did not know that people tipped them. Just out of curiosity, do you tip them at the beginning in order to get them to do extra work. I always give my tips when I am leaving or in this case, when they were getting ready to leave? I agree--I am starting to get confused by tipping also.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #68

This is a good thread. One category of tips that nobody seems to have a clue on is guide tips. Several times I've been on outdoor trips and the guided group has pooled together to give the guide a tip. It seems like the amount ranged from 1% to 20% of the fee. Thinking about it now I suppose the tip is based on what we think the guide themself is making, rather than what we pay to the guiding service.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

San Francisco has its own living wage that is higher than the federal and state minimum wage, and servers must be paid at least that minimum wage. Yet tipping is still expected. Why? Well, I know why, but does that mean I can tip less? Of course not, from the entitled servers' minds, right? I'm not saying that I would anyway, but it's one of those things where "they" can't tell us that we have to tip 15% and above because they get a low wage and then still expect that we tip 15% and above when they get the minimum wage. It's illogical!
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #70

I've never done waitressing, but I drove a taxicab in Cleveland in 1974 and received tips. I know I didn't claim any of the tip money as income, but I only made about $1200 that year and was still a dependent. My tips were mostly a few dollars above the fare, but sometimes I was also given garden vegetables!

I'm curious about how tipping works in a restaurant. If I add a tip to the bill that is paid with a credit card, does the waitress receive the full tip? Or do they deduct something for the credit card fee paid by the restaurant? If I leave cash on the table and the table is cleared by a busboy, do they share the tip?

Does each waitress or waiter keep all their own tips? Or do they have to be pooled together with other staff and redistributed to non-tip workers like busboys or hostesses?

How does it work for wages and income tax withholding? I know waitresses and waiters are paid less than minimum wage due to tipping. Do they normally claim just enough in tips to meet minimum wage, or do they have to claim all the tips?

I normally tip around 20% and then round up to the next dollar.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #71
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I've never done waitressing, but I drove a taxicab in Cleveland in 1974 and received tips. I know I didn't claim any of the tip money as income, but I only made about $1200 that year and was still a dependent. My tips were mostly a few dollars above the fare, but sometimes I was also given garden vegetables!

I'm curious about how tipping works in a restaurant. If I add a tip to the bill that is paid with a credit card, does the waitress receive the full tip?
That was my experience.

Quote:
Or do they deduct something for the credit card fee paid by the restaurant?
No.

Quote:
If I leave cash on the table and the table is cleared by a busboy, do they share the tip?
It varies.

Quote:
Does each waitress or waiter keep all their own tips? Or do they have to be pooled together with other staff and redistributed to non-tip workers like busboys or hostesses?
Varies by location.

Quote:
How does it work for wages and income tax withholding? I know waitresses and waiters are paid less than minimum wage due to tipping. Do they normally claim just enough in tips to meet minimum wage, or do they have to claim all the tips?
IRS assumes a certain percent; most folks probably don't report anything above that.

Quote:
I normally tip around 20% and then round up to the next dollar.
As a former waitron, I thank you.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #72
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
Tipping seems very American to me. It:

When I was travelling overseas I would often notice that waitstaff is much slower in places where tipping is not the custom.
I was just in Japan where tipping isn't the custom. Granted, I was mostly frequenting top rate establishments, but I thought the service was very good everywhere I went.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #73
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post

This is why I hate tipping!

Me too , I hate not knowing I was supposed to tip . I never tipped workmen . I had no idea it was expected . I do tip delivery guys but I think it's bull s--- . They get paid for their jobs . We just returned from a weekend trip and we stayed in a condo . In the condo their was an envelope with the maids names on it . These condos are owned and rented out by the owners . Why should I pay for their cleaning ladies ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
A $40 cash tip got all my minor plumbing problems in the house fixed.
At what point does a tip become a bribe?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
I was just in Japan where tipping isn't the custom. Granted, I was mostly frequenting top rate establishments, but I thought the service was very good everywhere I went.
I don't frequent top rated places but certainly you have to have good service to be top rated. I find the service is especially bad in lower cost establishments that don't have tips and are geared towards tourists.

I suppose this is one good reason why tourist-oriented places often have tipping customs even in coutries where tipping is not the norm for locals. Especially for places that get visitors from tourists being referred by local service industry workers. These places don't have to establish a reputation among locals or repeat visitors. But if the local tourism bureau establishes a tipping custom there, then the businesses know they have to provide decent service. Customers get service, businesses get tips, and the area gets more visitors.