Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Rather than tipping good contractors, I promote their business by recommending them to others. In a few cases, that has earned me a discount due to the amount of business I have directed their way.
Me too !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
As we keep expanding the tip universe, I think we will become more and more like some other countries, where you tip the policeman for stopping you when speeding, as he did a good job of catching you.
Soon we will be slipping our Dentist $40 for a root canal .
Old 02-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I think tipping is getting out of hand. contractors that come in to your home and do work, do so at a fair wage and are expected to do a good job, If they did a poor job would they allow you to cut their pay? usually when you hire someone you expect a certain level of expertise, which you pay for. why would you tip them to do work that is at the level required.
I did that once. I did not feel that I got what was in the contract, so I wrote a note on the contract then wrote a check for the contracted amount minus what I thought was missing. The business owner mailed me a receipt and a typed note thanking for my business.

Edit to add: Now that I think back 30 years, I have done this at least twice.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I don't tip
My banker
My lawyer
My dentist
My doctor

I do tip
My handymen for exceptional work/responsiveness
My waiter for good service

Others depend on the situation.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #45

I don't tip cows either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cow-tipping.jpg (77.4 KB, 20 views)
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #46

I was a caddy for years and recall very well the impact tips had on my income. I wasn't making minimum wage but difference between $25 and $35 for loop was huge to me. I provided consistently good service to everyone at the club -- good tipper or bad tipper I worked hard and was quite good at what I did.

I remember very well the rich old codgers who couldn't be bothered to tip more than $1.50 for 5.5 hours of shagging my butt thru weeds and trees chasing their crappy shots. And yes, some of them would actually tip in $0.50 increments. I'll never forget caddying after the crash of '87 when one guy bragged on the 4th tee that he had personally lost $20m the day before. He didn't seem too stressed about it. This guy who wasn't too stressed gave me a $2 tip that day. (I was one of the top ranked honor caddies at the club.). What a jerk.

I also remember how I felt about the people of all ages who were simply great to me. Treated me well and were always good for $5 tip per bag and a hot dog at the turn. They had means and I was still earning mine. To this day I have a book on golf that one guy gave me when I left for college...it had a note from him and a $100 bill inside. These were great people and their $5s were, at the margin, the difference between eating ramen noodles or not.

I'm on the other side now: I have substantial means and receive services of all sorts.

I try to tip generously to younger people in particular. I consider this a societal version of paying it back (or paying it forward depending on one's viewpoint). That $5 that I won't notice missing at the end of month allowed someone to eat tuna fish instead of ramen noodles.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
I was a caddy for years and recall very well the impact tips had on my income. I wasn't making minimum wage but difference between $25 and $35 for loop was huge to me. I provided consistently good service to everyone at the club -- good tipper or bad tipper I worked hard and was quite good at what I did.

I remember very well the rich old codgers who couldn't be bothered to tip more than $1.50 for 5.5 hours of shagging my butt thru weeds and trees chasing their crappy shots. And yes, some of them would actually tip in $0.50 increments. I'll never forget caddying after the crash of '87 when one guy bragged on the 4th tee that he had personally lost $20m the day before. He didn't seem too stressed about it. This guy who wasn't too stressed gave me a $2 tip that day. (I was one of the top ranked honor caddies at the club.). What a jerk.

I also remember how I felt about the people of all ages who were simply great to me. Treated me well and were always good for $5 tip per bag and a hot dog at the turn. They had means and I was still earning mine. To this day I have a book on golf that one guy gave me when I left for college...it had a note from him and a $100 bill inside. These were great people and their $5s were, at the margin, the difference between eating ramen noodles or not.

I'm on the other side now: I have substantial means and receive services of all sorts.

I try to tip generously to younger people in particular. I consider this a societal version of paying it back (or paying it forward depending on one's viewpoint). That $5 that I won't notice missing at the end of month allowed someone to eat tuna fish instead of ramen noodles.
I like you philosophy!

On a side note, the daughter of some good friends caddied at a local private course. They were NOT members, nor could they afford to be at the time. She did well as a caddie, but even better when the club members recommended her for a full ride scholarship to the state university. That was over 15 years ago, but she pays it back/forward by still being active in the fund raising for future scholars.

Hard work CAN pay off. It is not guaranteed, but doing little pretty much guarantees little.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

I actually thought about tipping they installers but once the one started pressuring me for a tip I put the money away . I was at a party today and we were joking about how much should you tip on a $9,000 job .Is 10 percent okay or should I have offered 20 percent ?
Old 02-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #49

This thread reminded me that I need to give a $20 tip to the house painter who is finishing up a job tomorrow. He did extra useful work without my request and thus 'exceeded my expectations' (I hate that phrase - reminds me of megacorp performance evaluations - but it's applicable in this scenario). Reading E-R.org is occasionally useful. 🙂
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #50

Quote:

Great story. I agree. I like to spread a little around. It means much more to those receiving than it does to me. I don't think tipping is getting out of hand at all. Far from it.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Great story. I agree. I like to spread a little around. It means much more to those receiving than it does to me. I don't think tipping is getting out of hand at all. Far from it.
There are many ways to help those less fortunate than ourselves. But tipping becomes expected in some situations, and I'd much prefer that the employer offer the compensation, and the employees decide to accept it or not. It's their business, not mine.

Then I can spread out my charity as I see fit. It's not mutually exclusive at all.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
So, after playing nine holes, I go into the clubhouse and ask the bartender for a can of soda. He passes it across the counter and I pay. Should I feel bad if I don't tip him? Yes, he is a bartender, but no... he didn't even open the can for me.
Is he someone you deal with frequently? If yes, then yes. If no, then probably not.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

LOL... this reminds me of a story I heard on TV about Frank Sinatra.... the guy that was being interviewed said that Frank was staying at a nice hotel... when he was leaving he asked the person helping him what was the biggest tip he had every received.... the guy said $100... so Frank pulled out $200 and gave it to him.... he then asked... who gave you the $100... the guy said 'you did last year'....

I will agree that someone who can lose $20 mill can tip a bit more and probably should... especially a caddy since that is one of the expected people to tip...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

caddies work very hard - last time I had one the guy humped two bags and had to run in front of us on every shot

I think we tipped him $50 per bag maybe more?

my teaching pro has a son that caddies at Chambers Bay - apparently that course is an 8 mile uphill loop
Old 02-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I've been thinking about giving money. Liked the idea of giving a sum to the local cop shop for them to pass out at traffic stops or as they wish. Had seen a piece about someone doing that and it seemed like a neat way to engender good feelings between the law and the people. OTOH, how about giving it to the firemen? They certainly find people in serious need. Unexpected $100 tips at greasy spoons?? Or maybe Benny has the right idea up in Salem. 'Benny bills' worth more than $100 to recipients
At various times up in Oregon I've driven up to a window to get our mochas and found our bill was already paid by the car ahead - cashiers say it is common for a pay it forward chain to last for the better part of a day - and everybody feels good!

OTOFoot, those who expect tips or restaurants that just add 18% to a bill just piss me off. No good feelings there.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Bussers
Old 02-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Bussers

Took DW, her sister and BIL out for dinner the other night. They chose the place. We were staying with them for the night. I get the check and BIL says, "We usually tip between 20 and 25 percent here. The wait staff has to share their tips with the bussers." I was planning on tipping 15 percent because the service was average at best. Even if it's questionable, I rarely go below 15.
I didn't, but I wanted to say, "It's not my fault that management here doesn't pay the bussers." I feel sorry for the wait staff but they can go elsewhere it they don't like the arrangement. I've never done it but I would tip the cook before I tipped the bussers.
dasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasranger View Post
Took DW, her sister and BIL out for dinner the other night. They chose the place. We were staying with them for the night. I get the check and BIL says, "We usually tip between 20 and 25 percent here. The wait staff has to share their tips with the bussers." I was planning on tipping 15 percent because the service was average at best. Even if it's questionable, I rarely go below 15.
I didn't, but I wanted to say, "It's not my fault that management here doesn't pay the bussers." I feel sorry for the wait staff but they can go elsewhere it they don't like the arrangement. I've never done it but I would tip the cook before I tipped the bussers.
isn't it normal for bussers etc to be tipped out?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I don't tip for service work that we need done. I do have a boot/shoe repair guy I have do some work on boots or shoes once in a while. I had him repair some stitching on a pair of boots and he asked for 6 dollars I think I gave him 10 dollars. The guy is so reasonable that I feel like I'm stealing from him when he asks for so little.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
isn't it normal for bussers etc to be tipped out?
This is what aggravates me about tipping. So I'm supposed to know the inner workings of the compensation system of each restaurant I go to? Geez, I just want dinner. If I wanted to run a restaurant business, I'd open my own.

Charge me what you need to run your business. I'll either take your product at that price, go to your competitor, or eat at home. Is that so much to ask?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
To this day I have a book on golf that one guy gave me when I left for college...it had a note from him and a $100 bill inside....
I love this.