Join Early Retirement Today

Tipping
Old 02-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Tipping

We had a new air conditioning system installed today and at the end of it one of the installers was stalling . I think he was hinting for a tip .It was so obvious that I was not sure what to do but I have never tipped someone who is doing work on my house before . Was I wrong ? Are we now tipping repairmen ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We had a new air conditioning system installed today and at the end of it one of the installers was stalling . I think he was hinting for a tip .It was so obvious that I was not sure what to do but I have never tipped someone who is doing work on my house before . Was I wrong ? Are we now tipping repairmen ?
No, we do not tip people that are being paid to perform service in our homes. They, or their company quoted a price, and that is what you pay.

That being said, there has been a few times that a small contractor, or their employee "over performed" (in my opinion) based on the original agreement. There was no request, or hint of one, for additional compensation, but I "rounded up". Of course the under performers were sued.

On the flip side, I actually had a floor re-finisher give me a discount at the end, because the project did not take as long as he expected (and he was low bidder of 4). After the fact, I realized this was, in some respect, his "advertising budget". He did great work, was on-time, was low price, and relied exclusively on word of mouth for work. I bet I referred 4-5 people who used him and thought they got a good value.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

I have commonly tipped for two kinds of service:

1. Moving crew. (We've moved so many times that we know how much difference it made when we got a great crew versus a bad one.)

2. Furniture delivery service. If they are accommodating (like moving stuff out of the way for your new "whatever you bought") or other services, we tip. In this case, I feel like these folks make close to minimum wage and tipping is part of their compensation.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
1. Moving crew. (We've moved so many times that we know how much difference it made when we got a great crew versus a bad one.) ...
OK, but how does tipping, after the fact, help in getting a good/bad crew?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
No difference after the fact of course, but it would seem to help if you got the same crew when moving the other way.

When we had to move FIL out of his house into an apartment we tipped the crew well because they were careful and didn't lose/break anything. Two months later because of his health we had to move the same furniture back to the house. Some of the crew were the same guys. Again we tipped well and for the same reasons.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I have commonly tipped for two kinds of service:

1. Moving crew. (We've moved so many times that we know how much difference it made when we got a great crew versus a bad one.)

2. Furniture delivery service. If they are accommodating (like moving stuff out of the way for your new "whatever you bought") or other services, we tip. In this case, I feel like these folks make close to minimum wage and tipping is part of their compensation.
Your two examples fall completely into my "over perform" category, and I have done the same. Lower wage folks that take pride in their work. Odds are, those folks will move on to something better, over time.

To OP: If you hired a reputable company, the "installer" had to be licensed in your area for the work. As such, they should be making a decent wage and not rely on "tips". Some areas do not require a license, but this is still a skilled profession, and should be compensated accordingly.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

I always tip moving people or delivery people but I have never tipped or been made to feel like I should tip by any other installation or repair guys.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
No...sort of.

The standard arrangement is a crew (led by the rig driver) packs/loads your stuff at origin, then the same crew unloads/unpacks your stuff at destination (for domestic moves). So, a relationship is established. It's not hard to make your expectations known at origin, then reward (or not) with a tip at destination. After a few moves, it's not difficult to know how much broken/missing stuff you'll have just by watching/interacting with the crew. Also, at some level, I know with a great crew that I'm tipping for nothing broken/missing...even before we unpack. BTW, it's common for the driver/crew lead to have the cost of anything damaged/missing taken out of his payment by the moving company, which one files against for said broken/missing stuff.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I agree that an HVAC system install should not have a tip... in fact, if it were so obvious I would bring it up with the owner of the company... he might not know what is happening..

IMO, any of the 'trades' are being well compensated with the amount they bid...

I would ask... would you tip the mechanic who worked on your car
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #10

Delivery people if they're respectful and good, which I think they almost always have been. I figure if they're making minimum wage or not much more, I can afford to thank them for a good experience.

Only time I ever tipped a tradesman was guy who installed frameless shower. I sorta watched him, it was a real booger with angles. It was getting late and his wife called a couple of times to find out when he'd be home. Yet, he took his time making it right and didn't rush. Took pride in a good job. Gave him a 20 and he really appreciated. We both felt good.

We give to charity; why not give to those making minimal bucks an hour who make your life better? Must admit I pass up the bedraggled woman at the intersection we pass every day; she can probably use the money but I just can't do the people with their hands out; working or not.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It is often difficult to tell when tipping is appropriate and there are differing opinions. I only tip low wage people. A few years ago I read a post on hear about someone being upset they didn't get a tip for giving a massage. To me, a massage person is already getting paid $60/hr+ so they should not expect a tip beyond that. Other people disagree. I will tip a waitress who is getting maybe $3/hr. I will tip a pizza delivery person who is getting minimum wage or less usually. That's about it. I would be more generous if I had a seven figure net worth and in the spend-down phase but i'm relatively poor so it makes no sense to tip people who make more than I do.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #12

Anyone who does an exceptionally good or fast job for me always gets a tip. Delivery people, small business workers, etc. Frequently they don't expect it at all and are a bit reluctant to take it at first, but if I think they should be rewarded for exceeding my expectations, I will insist because it makes me feel good.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

I just thought of another weird installer story . A few years ago we had a new water filter installed .After the installation when the plumber was collecting his check he asked if He could dock his boat at our dock . It must be the air in our house !
Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #14
Administrator

I always tip the guys who deliver the furniture. It's hard work and I'm sure their regular pay is not very good.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #15

I had an issue with my cable TV picture kept pixilating on one TV. Cable guy not only fixed that issue but eliminated a bunch of splitters for the other TV's that I had ran cable to. All new home runs of cable, yeah he got a decent tip.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I was visiting my BIL and helping them get their house ready to sell. It was trash day and we had way more stuff at the curb than was allowed, BIL was sure they'd just take the "official" trash cans. I met the truck as it came up the street, discussed the issue with the loader and then the driver, gave them each a ten spot and they were happy to make the stuff go away. Was it a tip (they provided service above and beyond)? Was it dishonest (the extra stuff went in the trash company's truck and the trash company's dump, but the trash company didn't get paid for it)? I dunno. But BIL was very happy with the result.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post

To OP: If you hired a reputable company, the "installer" had to be licensed in your area for the work. As such, they should be making a decent wage and not rely on "tips". Some areas do not require a license, but this is still a skilled profession, and should be compensated accordingly.
Tipping is not some type of charity. It is not determined by someone's income. It is a function of personal service and tradition.

Responding to the original question, I have tipped furniture movers. I have not tipped people who do jobs in my home generally.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Tipping is not some type of charity. It is not determined by someone's income. It is a function of personal service and tradition.

Responding to the original question, I have tipped furniture movers. I have not tipped people who do jobs in my home generally.
Nope, tipping is determined by a person's income. I never tip a lawyer nor a doctor as they make enough, actually more than me, they should tip me for letting them practice
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:03 AM   #19

I think tipping is getting out of hand. contractors that come in to your home and do work, do so at a fair wage and are expected to do a good job, If they did a poor job would they allow you to cut their pay? usually when you hire someone you expect a certain level of expertise, which you pay for. why would you tip them to do work that is at the level required.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:49 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Nope, tipping is determined by a person's income. I never tip a lawyer nor a doctor as they make enough, actually more than me, they should tip me for letting them practice
If you are like most American you rarely or never tip cashiers, hostesses, amusement park attendants, fast food counter, movie theater ushers? These are the lowest paying jobs in the US, yet they are not usually tipped.

And it would certainly be awkward if tipping were in fact determined by income: you would need to know someone's income to know how whether and how much to tip. And they would need to know your income to know whether to expect one (following your example).

It is also right to tip someone who makes more than you do. For example, fast food workers are still expected to tip for table service in a restaurant.

Wait staff and bartenders are tipped positions, but usually not low income.

You tip them because of tradition and personal service.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote