Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tipping Part II (tip jars)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tipping Part II (tip jars)

Tipping in restaurants doesn't bother me at all. But what's appropriate for tip jars?

Many years ago, unless the help went above and beyond in some way, I usually put nothing in tip jars since the only service was taking my order at a counter and handing the food/beverage to me. But as I've gotten older and become a regular at several places, our local favorite coffee shop in particular (where I know the help by name), now I leave a dollar or two every time, whether I order a $3.50 latte or a $15 lunch. I am curious if there is a standard for tip jars where counter help may/may not bring out food. Won't change my habits (unless I find I'm still being cheap), but I am curious...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

My daughter works at Starbucks. They pool the tip jar and it works out to around an additional $1.00 - $1.50 per hour worked. When we are out and about town - she will point people out and say they are good tippers or not tippers.......now I tip! Usually a buck when I get coffee...and make sure they see you put it in you want to be known as a tipper
Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

When coffee costs $2.5, and the tip adds a dollar, most of us LBMers if we tip will have coffee out less frequently. Like a poster above says, if you go there frequently, go with the flow and leave $1. But I am clear about my reason- I am buying surface respect and friendliness. This doesn't overly please me, but I didn't make the world. Same with tipping bartenders. Once after getting a very lean drink, I told the bartender that I tip well, but only if he pours me a good drink. Then I didn't drink any more that evening, as I feared he might spit in my glass.

For me, a similar situation exists with Real Change sellers and Trader Joe. My average TJ grocery ticket is about $10, and I go frequently. So when real change was $1, buying it once a week from the very friendly guy who camps out in front added only a few % to my grocery bill. But now that it costs $2, the calculus changes. I told the seller that my rent just jumped way up and I might not be able to afford the paper very often. The content itself is a mix of useful news articles, and annoying leftist political rants, so I would never buy it just to read it. I can buy a Seattle times for $1- and usually have some interesting copy to read, at least some of which will not be annoying.

Ha
Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My favorite coffee place has a tip jar out front. These things annoy me as I think the workers should be paid a fair wage (whatever that is) and that cost should be incorporated in the price of the beverage. I do drop a few dollars in from time to time just because they staff is nice, the coffee is good, the ambiance is pleasant and they have manage to survive despite a SBUX being about 100 feet away. It's the closest thing to an Italian bar on a piazza that I have found near home.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
My daughter works at Starbucks.
Since you brought them up by name....
N.Y.'s top court to decide who can tap Starbucks' tip jars - CBS News

On the whole subject:
Quote:
You should not feel obligated to chunk your change into a tip jar and certainly not more than a dollar. Tip jars are nothing more than counter-top pandering. The haul is usually divided among co-workers who do not rely on tips (like wait staff do) for income and even shared with employees who did not provide you with any direct counter service.

How Much Should I Add to a Tip Jar?

Toss in the left over coin change if you want, but do not feel obligated to add bills. In fact, if you see large bills in a tip jar, chances are pretty good they were put there [seeded] by employees or managers to encourage other people to match the fake tip.

A one dollar tip is more than generous for tip jars and more than most people give.

Forget The Tip Jar – Hand a Tip (or Praise) to an Individual Employee to Make A Bigger Difference

Business Etiquette Tips - Do I Have to Put Money Into a Tip Jar?
Bold is from the article; color is mine.

Tyro
Old 06-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Tip jar topic seem to crop up here on a regular basis. I guess I'm the guy that the employees look at and think "Non tipper". They would be correct. Handing me a cup of Joe does not earn you more pay.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Administrator

The coffee shop we go to most does not have a tipping jar, but does have a charity jar and I always drop the loose change into it.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I don't frequent SBUX. If I'm there with a friend I normally bumble through my order ("Tall?" "Grande?" Look, just give me a large one. Can I get a real coffee, please? Something that dripped through a filter or was made in a percolator? Look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about. Or, just give me whatever it is that is stinking up the place like a pumpkin pie factory.") After this, I'll throw in a couple of bucks if the barrista was a good sport about it. If I get a bunch of eye rolling and harrumphing, then I put nothing in the tip jar, which is probably what they figured "the old coot" would do anyway.

If there's a tip jar at the burrito joint, etc, I normally don't participate.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I don't frequent SBUX. If I'm there with a friend I normally bumble through my order ("Tall?" "Grande?" Look, just give me a large one. Can I get a real coffee, please? Something that dripped through a filter or was made in a percolator? Look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about. Or, just give me whatever it is that is stinking up the place like a pumpkin pie factory.") After this, I'll throw in a couple of bucks if the barrista was a good sport about it. If I get a bunch of eye rolling and harrumphing, then I put nothing in the tip jar, which is probably what they figured "the old coot" would do anyway.
So you do impromptu stress testing, and if they pass you tip?

Ha
Old 06-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So you do impromptu stress testing, and if they pass you tip?

Ha
Not all of it is a put on--I really don't know what half the stuff on the menu is. I tip for friendly service and as payment for entertainment.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know what annoys me more about SBUX - the tip jar or the ridiculous descriptions of small medium large. I always use those terms. Grande my a__.

I always thought tips were a reward that was based upon quality of service. If all it is is to ask "what'll you have" and then hand it to me, it damn well better be pleasant. Period. So what warrants a tip, eh? I'll admit to throwing the change in or a buck, but it still aggravates me. I was in water-sewer utility business; if one of our guys rodded out the sewer line in front of your house (what can be an incredibly unpleasant experience) I don't think too many people rushed out with a $5 bill to express gratitude for the fact they just did their job. Well, it would have violated our rules anyway. It always was a treat to get a call or note thanking for the good service, something many actually do appreciate. Ahh, but I digress to the days of frickin' work! Almost 5:00 here too! Time to disengage!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Our favorite coffee shop is a local independent, not Starbucks. Used to be a SB regular when they were novel with hip kids actually pulling espresso shots, but now they're just like a fast food place sadly, at least around Chicagoland...we avoid SB whenever possible now.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #13

Enough is enough. This is like the panhandlers on the freeway off ramp. Putting money in the jar only encourages them. I would hate to see a world where everyone in the service industry is begging for tips.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi View Post
Enough is enough. This is like the panhandlers on the freeway off ramp. Putting money in the jar only encourages them. I would hate to see a world where everyone in the service industry is begging for tips.
Somehow I have trouble equating the good people in our favorite local coffee shop (many who we know by name) with panhandlers on the freeway off ramp...but it could be me. I've been very fortunate, I think I can spare a buck here and there. There but for the grace of...

Old 06-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi View Post
With the exception of a outstanding staff at the local ice cream, which my expanding belly prevents me from visiting often, I generally don't use tip jars, cause I don't visit often or the staff isn't particularly friendly.

I also agree tipping has really gotten out of control and management is doing nothing to reign it it. Just for fun, I made a list of all the people that expect tips in Vegas from the time I land.

Taxi dispatcher
Taxi driver
Doorman
Bellhop
Maid
Bathroom attendant
Cocktail waitress
waitress
Bartender
Poker, Blackjack dealer
Croupiers
Keno runner
Floor Manager (I've never tipped them but I've seen it happen)
Matrie D
Usher at show
Concierge
Tour guide
Elevator attendant
Pool attendants
Shuttle Driver
Bouncer/Gate guys
Strippers
Oh and hookers of course, but i haven't used one.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Tip? No way, give her the whole thing.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #17

I truly believe in tipping in traditional restaurants. And, if I'm in Starbucks asking for a special drink and food, I'll leave a tip......BUT.....do I leave a tip for a 2 second cup of Coffee? Nope.....they just, in my opinion, haven't earned it. Today, we went to a Mexican restaurant....bill was 25 buck....left a 20% tip....5 bucks and they earned every penny of it.....an, I was happy to leave it. My question.....if i get a "to go" order from that Mexican restaurant, should I give a tip and if so, how much? thanks for those that answer.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
Tip? No way, give her the whole thing.
In keeping with the 'rimshot' effect...

Have you used more than one?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I don't do tip jars. Sorry.

I do tip some of the walk-up service people who give outstanding service. For example, there's this lady who knows I like a tabasco packet with my sandwich at Panera. She sees me order, gets the sandwich up really fast, and there's may packet. I slip her a $1 for this excellent service, even though there is no jar and Panera generally doesn't encourage any tipping.

SBUX has gotten crazy. Used to love the place, but rarely go anymore.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
My question.....if i get a "to go" order from that Mexican restaurant, should I give a tip and if so, how much?
I would not. There was no table service.