Tipping Question

20% or better works here - found that the gal gets a bit upset if i don't do that much - even if the service sucks bigtime. Something that i think is even more important is to respect the servicepeople and treat them as people rather than serf automatons. $6-$8 is not enough to get treated badly.

I go to a nice restaurant and the bill with wine is close to $200 unless the service is exceptional I can't imagine why the waitstaff should expect more than $30, and frankly that seems high. There is simply no way that waiter did ten times more work than the guy in the Vietnamese noodle house. It seems to me that 20% should the average tip and you basic coffee shop, sandwhich place, 15% at decent place and 10% at a fancy restaurant.
I agree. I can't afford this crap, and I also feel exploited. What is the point of spending money on pleasure, to wind up feeling exploited?

Ha

I find that people who have worked for tips in the past leave good tips, and people who haven't worked for tips leave poor tips.

I haven't worked for tips, but I try to tip like someone who has.

That generally means 15-18% for normal service, and 20% for great service. In Califrornia I use the rule of thumb that I add a quarter of the food price... that covers 8.25% tax and 17.75% tip.

I tip on the total bill, i.e. tax included. I take the dollar amount, double it and convert it to a tip. i.e. bill $18.25 = 18*2=36 or a $3.60 tip. As I now know that a $3.60 tip is more than 20%. So I would leave between $21 or $23, depending on the service, and say no change. I hate waiting for change. As the bill, without tax, is about $17, that makes about a 14% to 25% range.

Who do you tip at Christmas ?
I tip my hairdresser a little more than usual .I also tip the lawn guy and my mother's home health aide and occasionally the mail carrier .

Back
Top Bottom