Join Early Retirement Today

Tips for Father-of-the-Bride Toast?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tips for Father-of-the-Bride Toast?

In August I'll be giving a toast at my daughter's wedding. The pressure's on because I'm known among some as a funny guy.

Any tips or suggestions? Things that worked for you? Good speeches you heard?

This is the current start (Jenny=DD, Lena=DW):

It took me a long time to write this toast. Jenny told me that I would have to have it approved by Lena [true], so that meant I had to write two speeches!

Would people get that, or should I add, "The real speech and one to show to Lena"?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I will be doing the same in September. I will look forward to the responses.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have DS's wedding next May. He is dreading any toast I may make at the rehearsal dinner!! I may use that line in my opening toast
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Would people get that, or should I add, "The real speech and one to show to Lena"?
Depends how much they've had to drink at that point! Maybe judge it at that time?

Hmmm, I'm no expert, but maybe delivery/timing is key? Is this subtle change any better?
It took me a long time to write this toast since Jenny insisted that I would have to have it a toast approved by Lena [true]. [pause for effect, maybe nod to emphasize this]. .... So that meant I had to write two speeches!
For me, that gives a little time for it to sink in, and then the "two speeches" is more of a punch-line, rather than strung along as part of the intro.

edit/add: maybe be consistent with either "speech" or "toast" - using two different terms may be heard as two different things. Not confusing, but not direct either, so it opens up a chance to get lost.

Then you can push the joke further, give Jenny a glare, turn to the guests and say something like, "Now, do I give the one Lena approved, or the other one?" And wave around two sets of papers to emphasize with a visual.

Just my 2 cents.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!
Old 04-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

As I recall, at DD's wedding last summer the best man did the toast. I don't recall talking at all other than perhaps a welcoming remark, but I think the kids did that too.

The real dilemma was selecting a song for the father-bride dance.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hopefully I have at least 10-15 years for this but I will still follow the thread as I am sure much good advice will be given.

I would try not to be too funny. One or two jokes and then loving daddy-daughter stuff. It's not a stand up routine.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Be brief.

Just jot a few of your thoughts down in point form on the back of an envelope and move the speech along.

Don't read a complete prepared, written speech. Be yourself. Don't dote on 'old home week' or reflect on your own marriage. It is about them.

Spend 90 percent of your effort thinking about what you want to say, prioritize it based on time and theme, and then jot down each of those two or three reminder notes. Four, max five points otherwise it will become a yawner.

Then you will be good to go as it were.

Be brief. The guests did not come to the event to hear your speech.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Be brief.

Just jot a few of your thoughts down in point form on the back of an envelope and move the speech along.

Don't read a complete prepared, written speech. Be yourself.
+1
It's not about you; it's about them.
Besides, nobody will remember it an hour later.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:54 AM   #10

Go for touching, loving, something your daughter will remember and her groom will feel welcomed by. Under two minutes. Skip the jokes.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Now, do I give the one Lena approved, or the other one?"
Yes, that's a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
+1
It's not about you; it's about them.
Some good tips here:

https://youtu.be/bRf2yFGkIAI?t=1m2s
Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #12

Other tip stolen from wait but why, consider how prepared you want to be.

I tend to go with "set structure".

https://waitbutwhy.com/2016/03/doing...ull-story.html
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #13

My wife used to photograph weddings and I would help her so I heard a lot of them. Some good, some bad.
The bad ones were delivered drunk, were rambling, contained bad jokes or were about him rather than the couple.
Ones that seemed to be delivered from the heart and focused on lifelong stories of the bride that only a father would know or understand. They were intimate, everyone knew it and tears would flow. Those are the good ones.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Some examples of "Memorable Father of the Bride Wedding Toasts" can be found at this link. Customize to fit the wedding couple and/or your specific daughter.

My favorite is this short, but, sweet toast ""Coming together is the beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together to the end, well that is considered a huge success!!!!!!!!""

Father of the Bride Toast Examples
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:51 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I just gave one last Saturday:

This site has 420 actual speeches you can copy from. Worked for me.

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-sp...lection=Random
Old 04-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #16

I'd still include a laugh line or two. It breaks the ice and opens everyone up a little.

It can be a challenge to strike the right tone and still get a laugh, but it's worth it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

When DW & I were married ages ago, there was no toasting, so I'm not sure what that's all about.

And we've never had children so I can't suggest anything family-wise.

But, weddings should be fun, and if there is anything serious to say to your daughter I suppose you could speak with her in private.

But keeping with your "funny guy" reputation , in your shoes I might suggest a little research into what, say, Don Rickles or Rodney Dangerfield might do in a similar situation. Nightclub one-liners and such. You could always end it on a serious note.

I know, I'm bad., but I've always had a jocular approach to life.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Tell everyone you've forgiven the groom for not accepting your offer of an extension ladder to facilitate their elopement.
user5027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #19

I was at a wedding and the father-of-bride made mention that we are all here to celebrate and welcome everyone to set aside any animosity, dark or sad thoughts and ill will for tomorrow and really enjoy the celebration tonight.

After all getting all that family together in one room, can create all of the above.

I thought it was appropriate and sensible to say. I've seen fights break out at weddings.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
In August I'll be giving a toast at my daughter's wedding. The pressure's on because I'm known among some as a funny guy.

Any tips or suggestions? Things that worked for you? Good speeches you heard?

This is the current start (Jenny=DD, Lena=DW):

It took me a long time to write this toast. Jenny told me that I would have to have it approved by Lena [true], so that meant I had to write two speeches!

To add to the effect, I'd discharge the "official" speech to the left in a flurry of paper, and sneakily pull out a crinkled up "unofficial" copy from your sock. That would add to the joke a bit!

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote