Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2016, 08:00 AM   #41

When I put DM's house on the market a few weeks ago, they did some staging but also photoshopped many of the photos. One in particular was the "4th bedroom". In my view it's a small office, but the realtor insisted on listing it as a BR. They just used photoshop to show that room with bedroom furniture, when the prospective buyer comes to visit it is empty.

I expressed some doubt about this but the realtor team said it was fairly common, and it didn't seem to bother buyers, as the house received multiple offers shortly after listing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Neighbor's large house was empty when it went up for sale. The online photos showed a complete suite of that super-stagey furniture, pictures, etc. that nobody really has in their house. When I asked the listing agent how much the staged furniture cost the seller, she said it was all virtual furniture and didn't cost extra!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
When I put DM's house on the market a few weeks ago, they did some staging but also photoshopped many of the photos. One in particular was the "4th bedroom". In my view it's a small office, but the realtor insisted on listing it as a BR. They just used photoshop to show that room with bedroom furniture, when the prospective buyer comes to visit it is empty.

I expressed some doubt about this but the realtor team said it was fairly common, and it didn't seem to bother buyers, as the house received multiple offers shortly after listing.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

1. Anytime you leave your home, "pretend" it is going to be shown. Make beds, put dishes in dishwasher, etc.
2. Put all "pocket sized" valuables in a safe deposit box. Jewelry and coin collections can disappear. Remove firearms also.
3. Leave your closets only 1/3 full. You would be surprised how many people cannot see past full closets.
4. Remove nearly everything (leave the coffemaker?) from your kit. counters.
5. When decluttering, you can stack boxes in the garage (if you don't have storage). Guy buyers seem OK with boxes in the garage.
6. Put away as much pet stuff as possible. Lots of non-pet owners out there.
7. Remove pictures hanging on walls of hallways, stairways, etc. Has a tendency to narrow down the walk area.
8. If you enter and leave through the garage, walk over to your front door and give it a good look see. Usually, they collect dirt, leaves, etc., because they are not used much.
9. Beige is always a great wall color. The lighter the better. Not everyone can see past bright red and dark green. Beige is easy to paint over if the buyers don't like it.

There is only one reason houses don't sell-price. Even houses next to RR tracks or express ways sell when the price gets cheap enough. Reduce your price every 3-4 weeks until you get an offer.

(I have sold over 20 of my own homes, and 400 for clients. Watch that price!)
Old 03-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
1. Anytime you leave your home, "pretend" it is going to be shown.
Great list! I think we're good. Now that the house is finally on the market, we are going to look around every morning to see that things are ready, so that last minute requests from the showing appointment service won't be a problem. We had our first showings yesterday! We have figured out the few things that we need to grab and take with us, such as throwing all the tax papers into a box and stashing it in the trunk before we leave, locking desk drawers. Appreciate all the tips!
Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #45
Administrator

How exciting!!! Glad to hear it is being shown already.

It's really great when your agent calls you on the cell phone, and you are out doing errands, to be able to say,

"Sure, go ahead and show the house right now if you want to, since those buyers are in a hurry! I'm gone and it is as ready to show as it will ever be".

Makes you feel like a champion seller.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
We plan to sell once the last of our pets goes to a better place. Our kitchen needs to be updated and the house re-carpeted. For either of them or both I would rather give them an allowance. I am thinking we could put $40k - 50k into a kitchen and have them not like it even though it is new. Just wondering if putting $50k into the house is the best/only way to sell? House is 35 years old in a nice neighborhood near schools/freeway/shopping. Everything else in house has been redone in the last 5 years. Current value ~ $275k.
If you are handy, the cost of doing many things is really cheap.
I updated a kitchen, put in new high quality vinyl tiles ($1.50 sq foot).
New kitchen counters.
Replaced the weird wooden backsplash with tile.
Painted the cupboards and the walls.
New handles on the cupboards.

Total cost was less than $800 (plus a bunch of my time).
Old 03-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #47

If you beat them up too much on commissions, might that not have a negative effect on how often your house is shown?

If I am an agent with a $400k house with a 4% commission and a $400k house with a 6% commission, I know which one I am going to prioritize.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
If you beat them up too much on commissions, might that not have a negative effect on how often your house is shown?

If I am an agent with a $400k house with a 4% commission and a $400k house with a 6% commission, I know which one I am going to prioritize.
Not really, as they are showing the house to a customer.

I had an agent take to a bunch of houses, all of which must have paid him a good commission, and all were very different from what I clearly spelled out I wanted.
I didn't buy any of them, and dropped him.

If the houses were identical then possibly yes, but its the Selling Agent commission that is important, not the overall listing fee.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Have you found that people completely forget the rules when it comes to kids' rooms? Dark blue walls and ceilings (why??), striped walls, pink-and-purple animals, elaborate murals...all of them a nightmare to paint over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
9. Beige is always a great wall color. The lighter the better. Not everyone can see past bright red and dark green. Beige is easy to paint over if the buyers don't like it.

)
Old 03-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Have you found that people completely forget the rules when it comes to kids' rooms? Dark blue walls and ceilings (why??), striped walls, pink-and-purple animals, elaborate murals...all of them a nightmare to paint over.
Oops

Not a kids room, but we painted one of the spare bedrooms a dark purple when we used it as a pinball machine gameroom. Oh well.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #51
Administrator

I had dark purple trim, window frames, molding, and doors in the guest bedroom of my old house. I did it just because I could, because it went with the wallpaper (!!! I know... ), and because I kind of liked it. Sort of like dark grape kool-aid. I used to joke that it would keep any guests from overstaying their welcome.

But, when I put the house on the market in 2010, I had it all painted over with neutral earth tones and no more wallpaper. The house still didn't sell back then due to the housing bust here at that time.

Honestly as a buyer I find dark or black paint to be pretty horrifying. It didn't seem to be a problem for my painter to paint over it, but as a buyer I just envision 17 coats not covering.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

but did you leave it dark purple when you went to sell the house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Oops

Not a kids room, but we painted one of the spare bedrooms a dark purple when we used it as a pinball machine gameroom. Oh well.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
In my case, no way!!! It was earthtone beige and off white. When I first read your post I thought it was responding to mine, and then noticed that Fermion had purple paint, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #54

Quote:
We still have not listed the house, and I do plan on leaving it dark purple (I hate painting)

I figure if someone has a little Dexter or something it would be a perfect room for them.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Just to reassure, I love purple, and would have a house in many shades of purple and red if I thought I could get away with it. Maybe, when I get my permanent room on the cruise ship

Anyway, we looked at a lot of townhouses when we made our ill-fated decision to buy a rental, and after a while, it was like a drill: The main house would have dirty beige walls, while the smallest of the 3 bedrooms would be entirely painted in dark green, blue, purple, or red. The one we finally bought, had dark-blue walls and ceiling in the kid's room. Took five coats of off-white paint to cover it up. It is not fun putting five coats of paint on a ceiling.

I thought it was just townhouse owners who did this, but no: we've looked at dozens of newer homes, in fairly high price ranges, in several states. There is usually at least one minor bedroom in garish colors that the owners didn't paint over. The stripes are the worst. You would have to use primer or something.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I had dark purple trim, window frames, molding, and doors in the guest bedroom of my old house. I did it just because I could, because it went with the wallpaper (!!! I know... ), and because I kind of liked it. Sort of like dark grape kool-aid. I used to joke that it would keep any guests from overstaying their welcome.

But, when I put the house on the market in 2010, I had it all painted over with neutral earth tones and no more wallpaper. The house still didn't sell back then due to the housing bust here at that time.

Honestly as a buyer I find dark or black paint to be pretty horrifying. It didn't seem to be a problem for my painter to paint over it, but as a buyer I just envision 17 coats not covering.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm glad your showings are going well.

I'm in the market for a house and I notice that stuff on shelves looks very cluttered and messy. Books are OK, but papers and stuff mixed in looks awful.

Just one or two large pics on a few walls look OK but lots of pics on walls and furniture gives a cluttered look, too. It's how I like to furnish my place but I find it makes a bad impression when searching for a place to buy. I want to see the bones of a place and other stuff is distracting.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post
Just one or two large pics on a few walls look OK but lots of pics on walls and furniture gives a cluttered look, too. It's how I like to furnish my place but I find it makes a bad impression when searching for a place to buy. I want to see the bones of a place and other stuff is distracting.
We have to cover the stains and holes in the drywall somehow.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

it's funny what bothers us as potential buyers. I don't mind seeing people's papers, but I hate seeing used towels and hygiene items. Granted, you don't generally see these in higher-end homes but you do see them in townhouses for sale.

And for some reason, very large portraits of young children give me the absolute creeps. Something about kids' big heads and bare foreheads, blown up to larger-than-life size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post
I'm glad your showings are going well.

I'm in the market for a house and I notice that stuff on shelves looks very cluttered and messy. Books are OK, but papers and stuff mixed in looks awful.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And for some reason, very large portraits of young children give me the absolute creeps. Something about kids' big heads and bare foreheads, blown up to larger-than-life size...
Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keane-big-eyes-gallery-03.jpg (80.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Those look like they're coming to get you! But I'm talking about actual photos of actual children (not mine, of course; those couldn't possibly take a bad picture!) blown up bigger-than-life.

Anyway, I guess the real estate agents are right when they tell us to "de-personalize" our houses. Much as we hate doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Like this?