Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Both of the failures were about 1/2" long tears in a groove in the tread, no foreign objects were found. As for rotating the tires, this was done 3 times, less than recommended but not never, lol.
You never said how old the tires were...?

I don't like going more than six years on a tire or failures just like the one you describe above can result.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
On water they can be dangerous....

Heck, on CONCRETE they can be dangerous as they usually do not stop you as quickly and do not handle as well...
Very true.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Thanks to all for the information and experiences, miles really vary. Bought two new tires today so now have four new tires. Guy at the tire shop said the tread looked okay but thought that about 40k would have been the best I could hope for. He also said gravel could be a real tire killer and some of the other sources I checked say the same. Both of the failures were about 1/2" long tears in a groove in the tread, no foreign objects were found. As for rotating the tires, this was done 3 times, less than recommended but not never, lol.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback.
Sounds like result of chronic under-inflation.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I know some tires have an inside and an outside and can not be moved like this... so, got to pay to play
Tires on my SRX and Mustang are directional (can't move side to side) so the Mustang tires were rotated (front to back) every three years - about 6K miles (normal use, for that car).

Due to the front/rear different tire size and direction of rotation, I don't even bother a "manual rotation". Anyway, once they are mounted, I don't want to break the bead by re-mounting the tire on a different wheel.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #25

I have a 2009 F150 Supercrew with 27k and the tires look like the day I bought it. (except for the one i punctured when the truck was 4 months old). I should easily get 40k or even 50k on these tires. I think I've been on 2 gravel roads so tread wear is not a problem. I get the truck tires rotated every other oil change. My 2001 Corvette is another story. 34k on the Goodyear OEM run-flats in 5 years, and I'm ready for another set after 34k on the 2nd set (Goodyear non run-flats) in 5 years. No rotation possible any direction.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #26

I am having tire issues so it is good that I found this thread.
OEM Goodyears on the Toyota Corolla are due for replacement. One already went bad. 45k on them so I will be tire shopping.

Having noise / wear pattern problems on the Yokohamas on my Saturn Vue. OEMs went at 40k on that one, too. Maybe this is due to having a front bearing replaced but no subsequent alignment performed.

I am pretty good about keeping the pressure checked and adjusted.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Sounds like result of chronic under-inflation.
Pressure was checked and corrected, if needed, at least every two weeks. My workshop air compressor was very convenient for this and I have one tire on my sawmill that needs to be checked regularly so would check the truck tires too. I will double-check the gauge I use against a second one just to make sure what I thought was okay was actually low. Thanks for another idea.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I bought my used 2006 Trailblazer in 2007, the tires had 18k miles on them. Goodyear Wrangler tires and I never had one flat on them. Retired them a couple of months ago at 60k miles and replaced them with.......'drum roll'........ Goodyear Wranglers.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Tires on my SRX and Mustang are directional (can't move side to side) so the Mustang tires were rotated (front to back) every three years - about 6K miles (normal use, for that car).

Due to the front/rear different tire size and direction of rotation, I don't even bother a "manual rotation". Anyway, once they are mounted, I don't want to break the bead by re-mounting the tire on a different wheel.
On my Firebird (long since gone), I had directional tires like you had... and move them from front to back... but the outside edge for some reason wore faster .... SOOO, looked at all that good rubber on the inside and had it done... but only one time...

It did even out the wear and saved me a set of new tires....
Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #30

My 2003 Trailblazer got 85,000 miles on the original tires, which I replaced in 2009. Our 2008 Odyssey currently has 60,000 miles on the original tires, and they probably have some mileage left on them. I hardly ever rotate the tires. Not saying never, but I think it is highly overrated.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I just replaced the tires on DW's 2004 Taurus - 77,000 miles and rarely rotated. They were not down to the wear bars, but I wanted to err on the side of safety.

When I worked in the auto industry (1980 -2007) we bought tires by the pound. There was really no such thing as a premium vs non premium tire, that I recall. Each year tire companies submitted samples that were tested for ride, handling, braking (wet and dry) and noise. The best tire was chosen, with generally a small difference in price between the submissions.

All the tires were tested for force variation by the manufacturer and the best tires went on production vehicles. The seconds were sold at tire stores.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
I hardly ever rotate the tires. Not saying never, but I think it is highly overrated.
Same here with respect to limited tire rotation. My previous vehicle was a Toyota 4wd truck - original Bridgestones got 80k miles, off brand replacements (cannot remember the brand) lasted 100k miles, and last set were BFGoodrich tires from Sam's Club which had 72k when I sold the truck.

Driving much less in retirement, my four year old Honda has about 40k miles on the OEM Goodyears but they have a lot of miles remaining. Will likely replace due to age rather than tread wear.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
I am having tire issues so it is good that I found this thread.
OEM Goodyears on the Toyota Corolla are due for replacement. One already went bad. 45k on them so I will be tire shopping.

Having noise / wear pattern problems on the Yokohamas on my Saturn Vue. OEMs went at 40k on that one, too. Maybe this is due to having a front bearing replaced but no subsequent alignment performed.

I am pretty good about keeping the pressure checked and adjusted.
Bit the bullet and bought Mastercrafts (a division of Cooper tire) for the Corolla. Mechanic recommended them. I will keep you posted.

Cross rotated the tires on the Vue at the mechanics recommendation. I never cross rotated tires before. I hope it's not bad juju. More noise than ever (as expected). Could a bearing be gone again! This one is starting to give me heartburn.

I think bad juju is an engineering term.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #34

I've been hearing an odd noise from my tires lately so I took a look at them today. Noticed cupping on the fronts and they only have 12K on them. Tomorrow I'll drop the car at the Toyota dealer and see what they have to say. I know, alignment and some new tires and it's not covered by Toyota, heh.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Cooper Tires

Have used Cooper brand tires for years. I guess I liked the fact that Arnold Palmer recommended them in their ad.

Have never had a problem with them and they are cheaper than Michelins. I am replacing a set on my Honda Accord tomorrow. They were rated for 60,000 miles and I got about 65,000 miles out of them.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You never said how old the tires were...?

I don't like going more than six years on a tire or failures just like the one you describe above can result.
Sorry, missed this question from some time back, truck is a 2008 and they are the original tires. Bought the truck in Feb of 2009 so don't think it was an age issue.