Tire Mileage

I am having tire issues so it is good that I found this thread.
OEM Goodyears on the Toyota Corolla are due for replacement. One already went bad. 45k on them so I will be tire shopping.

Having noise / wear pattern problems on the Yokohamas on my Saturn Vue. OEMs went at 40k on that one, too. Maybe this is due to having a front bearing replaced but no subsequent alignment performed.

I am pretty good about keeping the pressure checked and adjusted.

Sounds like result of chronic under-inflation.

Pressure was checked and corrected, if needed, at least every two weeks. My workshop air compressor was very convenient for this and I have one tire on my sawmill that needs to be checked regularly so would check the truck tires too. I will double-check the gauge I use against a second one just to make sure what I thought was okay was actually low. Thanks for another idea.

When I bought my used 2006 Trailblazer in 2007, the tires had 18k miles on them. Goodyear Wrangler tires and I never had one flat on them. Retired them a couple of months ago at 60k miles and replaced them with.......'drum roll'........ Goodyear Wranglers.;)

Tires on my SRX and Mustang are directional (can't move side to side) so the Mustang tires were rotated (front to back) every three years - about 6K miles (normal use, for that car).

Due to the front/rear different tire size and direction of rotation, I don't even bother a "manual rotation". Anyway, once they are mounted, I don't want to break the bead by re-mounting the tire on a different wheel.

On my Firebird (long since gone), I had directional tires like you had... and move them from front to back... but the outside edge for some reason wore faster :ROFLMAO: .... SOOO, looked at all that good rubber on the inside and had it done... but only one time...

It did even out the wear and saved me a set of new tires....

My 2003 Trailblazer got 85,000 miles on the original tires, which I replaced in 2009. Our 2008 Odyssey currently has 60,000 miles on the original tires, and they probably have some mileage left on them. I hardly ever rotate the tires. Not saying never, but I think it is highly overrated.

I just replaced the tires on DW's 2004 Taurus - 77,000 miles and rarely rotated. They were not down to the wear bars, but I wanted to err on the side of safety.

When I worked in the auto industry (1980 -2007) we bought tires by the pound. There was really no such thing as a premium vs non premium tire, that I recall. Each year tire companies submitted samples that were tested for ride, handling, braking (wet and dry) and noise. The best tire was chosen, with generally a small difference in price between the submissions.

All the tires were tested for force variation by the manufacturer and the best tires went on production vehicles. The seconds were sold at tire stores.

I hardly ever rotate the tires. Not saying never, but I think it is highly overrated.

Same here with respect to limited tire rotation. My previous vehicle was a Toyota 4wd truck - original Bridgestones got 80k miles, off brand replacements (cannot remember the brand) lasted 100k miles, and last set were BFGoodrich tires from Sam's Club which had 72k when I sold the truck.

Driving much less in retirement, my four year old Honda has about 40k miles on the OEM Goodyears but they have a lot of miles remaining. Will likely replace due to age rather than tread wear.

I am having tire issues so it is good that I found this thread.
OEM Goodyears on the Toyota Corolla are due for replacement. One already went bad. 45k on them so I will be tire shopping.

Having noise / wear pattern problems on the Yokohamas on my Saturn Vue. OEMs went at 40k on that one, too. Maybe this is due to having a front bearing replaced but no subsequent alignment performed.

I am pretty good about keeping the pressure checked and adjusted.

Bit the bullet and bought Mastercrafts (a division of Cooper tire) for the Corolla. Mechanic recommended them. I will keep you posted.

Cross rotated the tires on the Vue at the mechanics recommendation. I never cross rotated tires before. I hope it's not bad juju. More noise than ever (as expected). Could a bearing be gone again! This one is starting to give me heartburn.

I think bad juju is an engineering term.

I've been hearing an odd noise from my tires lately so I took a look at them today. Noticed cupping on the fronts and they only have 12K on them. Tomorrow I'll drop the car at the Toyota dealer and see what they have to say. I know, alignment and some new tires and it's not covered by Toyota, heh.

Cooper Tires

Have used Cooper brand tires for years. I guess I liked the fact that Arnold Palmer recommended them in their ad.

Have never had a problem with them and they are cheaper than Michelins. I am replacing a set on my Honda Accord tomorrow. They were rated for 60,000 miles and I got about 65,000 miles out of them.

You never said how old the tires were...?

I don't like going more than six years on a tire or failures just like the one you describe above can result.

Sorry, missed this question from some time back, truck is a 2008 and they are the original tires. Bought the truck in Feb of 2009 so don't think it was an age issue.

Back
Top Bottom