Join Early Retirement Today

Tired of changes to Yahoo
Old 09-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tired of changes to Yahoo

This is a pet peeve, but want to start another thread as others might have some thoughts on this....

I am getting so fed up with the changes at Yahoo under Marissa Mayer... things started to change for the worse when she came in and over and over again they seem to affect me...

The latest that I am mad about is when I use my tablet... a few days ago when you looked at Yahoo there were many stories on the top that you could slide to the side and look at the next... it was not too tall and did not cover the screen... a nice feature if you wanted... or, you could just scroll down the screen and look at some...

Well, now that is not an option... now, there is a story that covers the screen... kinda big... and I cannot scroll to the next story... and even when I tap the pic of the next story nothing happens...

I used to be able to scroll down the stories and when I got to the bottom it would let me load more... not an option anymore... you only get the stories they have...

This site is getting more and more useless for me except that I have my email with them... and I do not like Google....

There is more, and I will post later some other complaints I have with the site...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also miss the feature that lets you scroll through the news stories.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

SOP for any website, seems to me. Have you found one that doesn't change over time? Usually these changes are are an effect built into "improvements"
to sites. I have to google features about google pages to learn detailed operation and controls.

Another topic, but I am guessing Yahoo will be much changed with Verizon at the wheel. They will part it out and build a new ship that suits their needs, so I am guessing changes will be the new normal.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I defected away from Yahoo to Google when Yahoo started monkeying around with their classic look. I think Google's news page looks like the way Yahoo used to look like.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't use Yahoo as my homepage any more, so I really hadn't paid any attention to changes or lack of same on Yahoo in the past year or so. If you are using Yahoo as your homepage, I would heartily recommend switching in order to maintain a placid state of mind.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
SOP for any website, seems to me. Have you found one that doesn't change over time? Usually these changes are are an effect built into "improvements"
to sites. I have to google features about google pages to learn detailed operation and controls.

Another topic, but I am guessing Yahoo will be much changed with Verizon at the wheel. They will part it out and build a new ship that suits their needs, so I am guessing changes will be the new normal.

I do not mind improvements if they really are improvements....

Some of what they have done boggles the mind...

An example... I use Yahoo for fantasy sports... so this year they decided to have a 'game of the day' on the fantasy sport page... whenever I go to that page this baseball games starts playing live!!! There is no way to turn it off... I do NOT want to watch a game THEY decided to show... but I cannot get to my teams without going thru this page... and it has to load every time slowing down what I want to do....

The front page seems to be very busy now...

I was OK with a number of their changes as I could either ignore them or work around them.... however, my reading from my tablet now is broke completely.... how is that improvement
Old 09-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #7

I've pretty much stopped using the Yahoo site for the reasons listed above and some others.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

".... how is that improvement"

The quotation marks around improvement in my post are there to suggest sarcasm.

I feel you. I have this picture of cadres of young coders making changes to things that have nothing to do with usability, but simply allow them to crow "dude, check this change I made... it makes my algorithm buzz!" It's like changing the controls around in a car or something.

Jump ship, show them how much you like the change. I sincerely think Yahoo is toast, btw.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
What doesn't change ?
Old 09-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

What doesn't change ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
This is a pet peeve, but want to start another thread as others might have some thoughts on this....

I am getting so fed up with the changes at Yahoo under Marissa Mayer... things started to change for the worse when she came in and over and over again they seem to affect me...

The latest that I am mad about is when I use my tablet... a few days ago when you looked at Yahoo there were many stories on the top that you could slide to the side and look at the next... it was not too tall and did not cover the screen... a nice feature if you wanted... or, you could just scroll down the screen and look at some...

Well, now that is not an option... now, there is a story that covers the screen... kinda big... and I cannot scroll to the next story... and even when I tap the pic of the next story nothing happens...

I used to be able to scroll down the stories and when I got to the bottom it would let me load more... not an option anymore... you only get the stories they have...

This site is getting more and more useless for me except that I have my email with them... and I do not like Google....

There is more, and I will post later some other complaints I have with the site...
What ? Never mind it just changed..... Sorry, I'....m new here I don't read yahoo's stories. I like real fiction....... I got here because I watched an Oxford Club AD. I've learned the hard way ...Ads are like politicians.
bluescityleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #10

Yahoo pages are way too cluttered. Reminds me of what happened to Alta Vista shortly before Google ate their lunch. Yahoo groups were decent until they mucked with the design they'd inherited from eGroups.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
gone traveling

I love my Yahoo mail.

I have Google mail too; but I like Yahoo much better.

I'm waiting for whoever took over Yahoo to destroy Yahoo mail too. Then Yahoo will truly bite the dust.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

I love my Yahoo mail.

I have Google mail too; but I like Yahoo much better.

I'm waiting for whoever took over Yahoo to destroy Yahoo mail too. Then Yahoo will truly bite the dust.
Yes me too.

I have had yahoo email for almost 20 years, I don't want to change to another email provider.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've pretty much stopped using the Yahoo site for the reasons listed above and some others.
Walt's ahead of the curve again.
I doubt we'll have to wait much longer until nobody uses the Yahoo site, because there won't be one.

Remember the excitement back in 1995 when Yahoo was new and the greatest thing since sliced bread?
Yet Another Hierarchically Organized Oracle
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Yes me too.

I have had yahoo email for almost 20 years, I don't want to change to another email provider.
Though not my go to email, I'm protective of my aol email accounts .
Old 09-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes me too.

I wonder how long I have had yahoo email..... I do like it, but they changed that also... and not for the better IMO... but, I was able to work around it with options etc. and am OK with the current setup...

Now, I still have an Excite email address (anybody remember them?)... and it has gone way downhill... I cannot even open it in Firefox with the ad blocker... and I get SO many spam emails that it is not worth much... but, I use it as my throwaway email address when I buy stuff as it is my actual name...
Old 09-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Yes me too.

I've had my Yahoo mail since I come on the internet 16 years ago. I've been paying $20 a year for unlimited storage and no ads.

But I usually have java script turned off so I can view internet websites without ads.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #17

Yahoo thinks I need high security for my junk email account with fake user and junk email account on gmail as my secondary. So they pester and pester and pester. They did bully me into a password change but that's about all. They must be nuts to think I trust them with a cell number. They refuse any VOIP numbers.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post

Yahoo thinks I need high security for my junk email account with fake user and junk email account on gmail as my secondary. So they pester and pester and pester. They did bully me into a password change but that's about all. They must be nuts to think I trust them with a cell number. They refuse any VOIP numbers.

Yahoo assumes everyone has a cell phone. I don't.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #19

I've been using Yahoo email for 20+ years so its hard to switch, or maybe I am just too lazy. I kind of stopped scrolling for news articles. Most of the popular search engines tailor the list to what they "think" I want to read about. So.....the list gets pretty scary looking.
Oh, and I was just notified by the Yahoo chief of security that my data may have been compromised. Nice!
Chuck
cbo111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:48 AM   #20

They started meddling with Yahoo Finance too, not for the better in my view.

Hope they don't kill the (implicit) API to get bulk quotes easily. Then I wouldn't have any reason at all anymore to use them.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote