To All You Winos

Vincenzo Corleone

Full time employment: Posting here.
I've been out of work for over a year now. After obsessively going over DW's and my finances, I think I've come to the point where I feel pretty confident in not needing to find work again. I guess I can consider myself a part of the class of 2018.

In fact, I'm feeling so confident, that I'm thinking of buying a bottle of wine to celebrate - a wine that I wouldn't normally buy (because I'm a cheapskate). I don't usually buy wine that's over $10/bottle. But I remember back in 1999-2000, I had the opportunity to drink a 1998 Silver Oak Napa Valley Cabernet at a work-related celebration (I think it was at least $100/bottle) and I thought it was outstanding. I remember it to this day. Granted, I'm not a wine connoisseur, but I can tell the difference between a Silver Oak and a Yellow Tail.

All that said, can anyone recommend an exceptional red wine for a special occasion? I lean towards Cabernets but it can be anything from any country. It just has to be red (not a big white wine drinker). It'll probably be consumed with an equally exceptional dinner of lamb, steak, or veal made by DW. Thanks.

DW says, "Shannon Ridge 2017". $15-ish/bottle.

We had it last night with appetizers, calamari and some mushroom/pastry thing. Quite good. Disclaimer: I'm in the same league as you, I just follow my wife around, drink her leavings... :D

Vincenzo Corleone, I can’t recommend a good Cabernet (DW prefers Pinot Noir) but I think that’s a great idea and and just want to congratulate you! Enjoy your wine.

I am also not a wine person.... and I can also look back at drinking some wine that just blew me away...

It was a closing and the CFO of the other company took us all out to the 4 Seasons in NY... he ordered some Geyser Peak and I said I did not like wine... he said at least try it... well, it was great...

I have bought some of this over the years, and it is still good but does not stay in my memory as the first time... it could be that he knew what year to buy and also that it was just the right temp....

That is one of the biggest things I hate about wine when you go out.... when they say 'room temp' they mean the wine cellar room temp which is cold... but everybody seems to have their wine sitting on the shelf at 70+ degrees and it tastes bad IMO...

Edit... here is the site... to the reserve listing... https://store.geyserpeakwinery.com/reserve-series-c7.aspx

With lamb, I would recommend a Bordeaux. You can get one of the Grand Cru names if you have the coin to spare, or you might like to try the 1997 Chateau Musar from the Bekaa Valley of Lebanon, which is made in the same style and which I have found to be as good as any of the Bordeaux wines I have tasted.

If you could post the outlet you are thinking of purchasing from, I will gladly help. I’ve been consuming and collecting wine for many years.

Per doc's advice, I parted company with the great red grape a while back. However, on the lighter side:

Ripple
Muscatel
MD 20-20
Night Train

They all taste awful, but you likely won't remember. :D

But, more appropriately, congrats on the big event and I hope you find the right vino for your special occasion.

FYI regarding Silver Oak, there are two main offerings: a Napa Valley and an Alexander Valley. They are different and priced accordingly.

Just a little bottle of cab that I discovered recently in a co-op store here in Boise... McManis 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Ripon, California. 13.00 + but oh so good!

Rombauer makes excellent wines, including Cabernet. Personally, I love Pinot Noir. We just had a bottle of Albatross Ridge that was excellent. Belle Glos Clark & Telephone is another one we like.

Last edited:
If you are able to get your hands on this via the winery or by mail. Excellent Petite Syrah or Their Cabernet.

https://www.woodenvalley.com/product-category/lanza-wines/

If one wants to spend a little more, a Cabernet from Caymus.

If you like Zinfandel, Seghesio is great, as is Robert Biale's Black Chicken.

If you are in the Pittsburgh area, I'll give you one of mine!

Congrats on your Graduation!

Last edited:
I would suggest any good Brunello di Montalcino (fantastic Tuscan red). Here's a link to some of the best (from one point of view): https://www.cellartours.com/blog/italy/top-10-best-brunello-di-montalcinos

But I would also suggest that you look ahead and buy a Barolo that you can "cellar" for the next 10-15 years with an eye to drinking it on a major anniversary of your FIRE date! Barolo is a big, bold, tannic red from the Piemonte region of Italy. Somewhat like a Pinto Noir from Burgundy. It can be consumed now or put down for ageing longer.

I'm not a wine collector or even a particularly avid "connoisseur", but it's hard to go wrong with these. I love buying some bottles and putting a "to drink date/reason" sticker on the neck for future milestones (like anniversaries, birthdates, etc.) and then putting them away in my cantina (naturally cool storage room in the basement).

That said, I would also suggest a bottle of Veuve Clicquot champagne as part of a pre-dinner aperitivo.

Congrats and Best Wishes for your new adventure!

-BB

Last edited:
If you are able to get your hands on this via the winery or by mail. Excellent Petite Syrah or Their Cabernet.

https://www.woodenvalley.com/product-category/lanza-wines/

If one wants to spend a little more, a Cabernet from Caymus.

If you like Zinfandel, Seghesio is great, as is Robert Biale's Black Chicken.

If you are in the Pittsburgh area, I'll give you one of mine!

Congrats on your Graduation!

DW and I tried a Petite Syrah once (given to us as a gift) - very nice!

Thanks for the good vibes and the offer to take a bottle of wine off your hands. Unfortunately, it would be a bit of a hike.

I would probably be popping champagne!

Not big on the bubbly. But whatever I decide to get, DW and I will toast to you and the others here who helped me to understand things that led me to realize that we're in really good shape for early retirement (DW will work a little longer to get a pension and retiree health care). Cheers!

I'm in agreement that if you're looking for a pairing with red meat then sure a Cab or Cab blend is great. Certainly a Bordeaux is a treat. If you feel like you have a better handle on Napa/Sonoma Cabs then just go there.

As a rule a decent Cab from there will always push $100+. I like to buy off the Silverado Trail. One of my favorites is Regusci which fits that price point. Also Miner Family "Oracle" is nice. I think a Joseph Phelps Insignia at $220 might be a bit much.

Though I don't drink that many Zin's, boy are there some fantastic buys in Napa/Sonoma.

In regards to other world, with that budget and just to drink I would buy a Barolo or Brunello.

Start with a Prosecco and then have your big wine.

Huge Argentina fan here. Can't go wrong with a Catena Cab....always exceptional. Their Malbecs are among my favorite wines.

Cheap - D.V. Catena Cabernet - 2015 Mendoza, Argentina
Not Cheap - Catena Zapata Nicolas 2013 (or any Zapata)

All that said, can anyone recommend an exceptional red wine for a special occasion? I lean towards Cabernets but it can be anything from any country. It just has to be red (not a big white wine drinker). It'll probably be consumed with an equally exceptional dinner of lamb, steak, or veal made by DW. Thanks.

BV Rutherford Cabernet - $24 per bottle at Costco

Clos du Bois Cabernet - $12 per bottle at Costco

BV Coastal Cabernet - $8 per bottle at Costco

Back
Top Bottom