Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have had both, I now have a Kingsford charcoal grill. I use a charcoal tower, I think made by Webber, to get the coals started. It takes two pieces of news paper to get a stack of coals going in 15 to 20 min. For me it is worth the wait.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I vaguely recall seeing an infomercial for a cooker that used newspaper.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I have had both, I now have a Kingsford charcoal grill. I use a charcoal tower, I think made by Webber, to get the coals started. It takes two pieces of news paper to get a stack of coals going in 15 to 20 min. For me it is worth the wait.
I'd like to here about your Kingsford grill. Is it new? Is it the egg-shaped type with a hinged cooking grate? We have one that's over 20 yrs old and its great...much better design than the Webber, IMO. We semi-retired it last year and bought a honkin stainless thing that's a coal hog, so the Kingsford is getting spuced up and un-retired. We've never used gas for outdoor cooking.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Al - those little tabletop models are okay for portable cooking or small spaces, but they usually lack the BTU output to produce a good crust on a steak or to effectively overcome colder weather. My big stainless gas grill hits about 750 degrees at the cooking grate. Those little tabletop models might struggle to hit 450-500.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
....I use a charcoal tower, I think made by Webber, to get the coals started. It takes two pieces of news paper to get a stack of coals going in 15 to 20 min. For me it is worth the wait.
I only use charcoal.....I like the taste! I have a home-built grill that was made by a friend of mine while he was a welder on on a pipeline. It's made from a 30" length of 14" thick-wall steel pipe. And, like Rustic, I use a Webber charcoal tower to start the coals......while they're heating up, I get the meat (and veggies) ready, and gather up my tongs and spices. I stockpile Kingsford charcoal whenever I find it on sale.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Al - those little tabletop models are okay for portable cooking or small spaces, but they usually lack the BTU output to produce a good crust on a steak or to effectively overcome colder weather. My big stainless gas grill hits about 750 degrees at the cooking grate. Those little tabletop models might struggle to hit 450-500.

Weber Q I have has hit over 650. If you need something for 2 people the Q is fine. 4 it works. Over that get a full sized grill. I have one and Im using it
Old 05-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Gas Is Quicker and Less of a Hassle...

...but I like the flavor of hamburgers and hot dogs over a charcoal fire. We have both. Since I do the outdoor grilling, I get to pick which one to use. I use the gas grill for chicken and steaks, as the heat is more uniform and easier to control.

Of course, charcoal has the advantage if you like to roast marshmallows .
Old 05-17-2008, 10:22 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

If you go with gas, consider piping natural gas out to the patio. Most burners can be easily converted to NG. Never need to worry about an empty tank, trips to refill, and NG is cheaper than propane.

We had the NG for years, switched to charcoal when we moved. Some things are just better with charcoal. Considering putting a second NG unit at this house, sometimes the convenience is needed, and for some things, it doesn't matter for flavor.

-ERD50
Old 05-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If you go with gas, consider piping natural gas out to the patio. Most burners can be easily converted to NG. Never need to worry about an empty tank, trips to refill, and NG is cheaper than propane.

We had the NG for years, switched to charcoal when we moved. Some things are just better with charcoal. Considering putting a second NG unit at this house, sometimes the convenience is needed, and for some things, it doesn't matter for flavor.

-ERD50
Just as a data point: The local Fire Department rebuilt several stations a few years ago, and they installed natural gas outdoor grills.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Our propane tank rusts to the dangerous point in about 1.5 seasons. That's when I use the "exchange your empty tank for a full one" service designed for people who are too lazy to have their tank refilled.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

There have been quite a few taste tests where people were unable to tell the difference between burgers and chicken cooked on gas or charcoal, but others where a steak was found to taste better on charcoal. I'm not sure they fully normalized the temperatures and flare ups though, which may account for some difference.

All I know is that a burger cooked on a gas grill tastes far better than one I dont bother cooking because it'll take too much prep work

NML...the weber Q is a pretty good compact grill. But I cant see Al spending $200-300 for a small grill unless the gods of LBYM dropped dead in their sleep last night
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Our propane tank rusts to the dangerous point in about 1.5 seasons. That's when I use the "exchange your empty tank for a full one" service designed for people who are too lazy to have their tank refilled.
Yeah, I used that trick to get rid of all my old bottles with the old style valve for a lot less than buying new tanks.

They wised up to it a few weeks later and put up a sign with a $10 surcharge for changing valve types at the same time as buying a refill.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I cant see Al spending $200-300 for a small grill unless the gods of LBYM dropped dead in their sleep last night
Gosh, I hope not! I'm sitting on a brand new stimulus check that is just crying to be spent. If they even blink it will be gone in a flash.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #34

Jazz,
This is a picture of the grill. I got it at Sam's for $135. Seemed like a good deal and so far it has been a dream to cook on.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Simple. Food grilled on charcoal tastes better, but it's a pain to get right. Food grilled on gas is almost as good, and it's quick and easy. Most people go for quick and easy.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #36

I'm considering becoming a triple threat:

Duo Grill

This model is on display at my local Lowe's. Propane grill with a charcoal grill attached, and you can add fire box that attaches to the side of the charcoal grill to use as a smoker. It looks like a good idea, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Aged oak w/ mesquite thrown in for kicks is my preference for grilling beef or chicken.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But I cant see Al spending $200-300 for a small grill unless the gods of LBYM dropped dead in their sleep last night
Well, I can get one for $139 on Amazon, plus I'd save the cost of replacing the flavorizer bars on mine, and it should use a few dollars worth less of propane each year. But it's true, I'm considering going one more season with mine. I'll see how much mold it has in it when I take it out of the shed.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Hey...smoked mold might be good eats!
I Have Gas!
Old 05-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I Have Gas!

Oops! Did I say that? Well... it's true - I have a gas grill and love it. Convenient - turn it on when I want it, then turn it off when I'm done. Just smoked a brisket yesterday, smoked pork, chicken and ribs. Gas works for fast and slow cooking.

If you live in an area that has natural gas piped into your house it's even more convenient. Simply connect the natural gas to your grill and you never have to buy/exchange any propane cylinders.

We bought our Kenmore over 20 years ago and it's still kicking. We just change out the burner and cooking grates every 5 - 7 years and just keep going. We keep the grill covered with a good quality cover when it's not in use.

Tags
cooking