Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Eating out, do you do it frequently and enjoy doing so?
Yes 106 41.09%
No 9 3.49%
We mostly eat at home and prefer to do so 36 13.95%
We enjoy an occasional meal out, but not regularly 107 41.47%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2019, 05:08 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Generally we eat at home unless we are travelling. Our trips tend be food centric. We skip the museums and spend the day planning our meals and wine choices or wandering markets.

flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We do not routinely eat out, but while traveling it is a way to sample local cuisine.

I spent yesterday bar-hopping in San Sebastian, and if you don't like to sample pintxos and wash them down with a local beer and txakoli, then do not come to San Sebastian.

By the way, the old town quarter of San Sebastian was very clean and safe. It was nothing like Paris, London, or San Francisco. I am not one who likes crowded places, but San Sebastian is an exception.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #123

I live in France. What was the question again?

Seriously: We go out to eat most Fridays and perhaps every second Saturday. Twice a year or so we splurge at a "fine dining" place (where the tasting menu is $100 or so). We don't worry about calories or salt because the other 19 or 20 meals of the week we prepare ourselves.

In the 1980s I travelled a lot for work, with a generous expense account. So I would get home on Friday night and just want soup or eggs or something, while DW would want to go out for "a nice meal". Hotel/restaurant food gets heavy after about 3 days.

We are extraordinarily lucky to live a 2-minute walk (about 200 feet in a straight line; their New Year's fireworks sometimes fall in our yard) from a restaurant that is regularly in the top 10 of our town (population 350,000). Here (in French) you can see the chefs preparing their take on Beef Wellington, with foie gras of course. This main course(*) lists for €32.95, which is at the high end of the scale round here (although it does include tax and tip).

(*) I've been pleased to note, over my past few visits to the US, that the unbelievably wrong use of the word "entrée" to mean "main dish" seems to be finally going out of fashion!
Old 04-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #124
Dryer sheet aficionado

We only eat out for things that are really difficult or time consuming to make at home (sushi) or produce lots of odors (Indian food), and so on.

Even high quality frozen pizzas are regularly $5-6 around here. A similar pizza from a chain would be $13 plus tip, delivery, tax etc. and involves a long wait and often wrong/warm pie deliver. Can't remember the last time we ordered out pizza.
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
Even high quality frozen pizzas are regularly $5-6 around here. A similar pizza from a chain would be $13 plus tip, delivery, tax etc. and involves a long wait and often wrong/warm pie deliver. Can't remember the last time we ordered out pizza.
We like Aldi 4 meat supreme Pizza, $2.46, then DW puts Addies on it, makes it in a great meal. Addies include, Mushrooms, Olives, Peppers and anything else she decides to add.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
We usually make our own pizza, although there are a couple of non-chain local places that do a nice job if we're lazy. I'm sure there might be some decent frozen pizzas but I can't remember the last time I bought one.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 Costco dog whenever we're in the city

We try to find local Costcos when we travel
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #128
Dryer sheet wannabe

My sincere condolence to you for living in France. The video looks interesting, but I /we didn't understand a word...it was in French.
scaubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

If I lived in Spain or southern France or Italy I would be eating out most of the time!
Old 04-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Here (in French) you can see the chefs preparing their take on Beef Wellington, with foie gras of course.
Foie gras??!!!!!!! Don't mention that in California. The locals may either jail you or demand you bring them some on your next visit.

Next to Italy, France has the best food in Europe, IMHO. My understanding is that the French were taught to cook by Italians, but perhaps the French students missed a lesson or two when they stayed out a bit to long lunching at a cafè.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #131

Never been to France but I love the food in Italy.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
We usually make our own pizza, although there are a couple of non-chain local places that do a nice job if we're lazy. I'm sure there might be some decent frozen pizzas but I can't remember the last time I bought one.
+1

Making one's own pizza is a great way to eat good food. I find that when I order a pizza out, they are generally way to salty and often have to much cheese and very thinly cut toppings. I also make my own crust using a combination of 1/2 ordinary white flour and 1/2 whole grain Einkorn flour.

Lately, making pizza with the grand kids is a source of great fun and entertainment. Assuming they don't eat most of the toppings before they get onto le pizze.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

Making one's own pizza is a great way to eat good food. I find that when I order a pizza out, they are generally way to salty and often have to much cheese and very thinly cut toppings. I also make my own crust using a combination of 1/2 ordinary white flour and 1/2 whole grain Einkorn flour.
That, of course is one of the benefits of making your own pizza...you're able to dial in the crust and toppings to your own personal preferences.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

We’ve always eaten out once or twice a week. I don’t see that changing...
Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

After 5 weeks on the road in Europe, we are glad to be home and able to cook what we want to eat. Nuff said.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #136

We eat out 15-20 weeks a year when we travel.

At home we eat out occasionally and typically for food that we do not or cannot prepare at home. That usually means Thai or Vietnamese, sometimes Italian or Greek.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #137
Full time employment: Posting here.

Breakfast:
Usually at home. Very occasionally we eat out.

Lunch:
M-F I bring my lunch to work
Sat/Sun: Usually eat out

Dinner:
M-Th: We eat at home
Fri: We usually eat out
Sat: About 50/50 out vs. in

I travel a lot for work, so it's almost always eat out.
When we travel for vacation, it depends. We often do Homeaway/AirBnb in which case we'll have a kitchen and it's a mix as to whether we eat in or out.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #138

Occasionally. Too expensive to do it regularly.

ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote