Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

To Lock or Not Lock Your Phone
Old 07-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

To Lock or Not Lock Your Phone

We got our first Smart Phone a few months ago.

Earlier this week I was walking near our home in Mexico and happened upon a lit-up cell phone in some tall grass next to the sidewalk. If it wasn't "on" I am not sure I would have noticed it.

I took it home and looked at recent texts and they were to "Mom" so I texted "Mom." It was her son's phone; Mom was in Arizona and her son was on vacation here in Mexico with his family. Mom texted her granddaughter's phone and we connected and the phone was returned.

If the phone had been locked and needed a password or fingerprint to open, I would not have been able to contact the owner. OTOH, if turned on and picked up by an unscrupulous person with access to the owner's business/financial information, who knows what could have transpired.

So, what do you do....lock or not? We have been locking ours since we got it but now wondering if that is the best solution.
mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I put a msg on my lock screen with my email address, and my son's contact info. Keeps the phone secure but I'll get it back if someone good finds it, as long as they notice the message.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+1 Agreed, I don't lock my phones either. I do have all my passwords centrally stored on lastpass so that I can quickly change them if needed. And as I just mentioned on the other thread, I maintain a security freeze at all 3 credit bureaus.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #4

Lock, Lock, Lock. To much stuff on phone, I'd rather buy a new phone than allow strangers, including the govt to look in my phone.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I put a msg on my lock screen with my email address, and my son's contact info. Keeps the phone secure but I'll get it back if someone good finds it, as long as they notice the message.
OK. Now I just have to figure out how to do that. I am still learning the ropes of Smart phones.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

On my Moto Andoid phone, I got to Settings, Security, and hit the settings wheel on Screen Lock. In there is the Lock screen message. It may change between android versions and is almost certainly different for iPhones, but that should be the general place.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexexpat View Post
OK. Now I just have to figure out how to do that. I am still learning the ropes of Smart phones.
+1

Especially now that the phone works with a finger print. Before that, it was a pain, but still kept it locked.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I did it!!! Set up message on Lock Screen. Put it in both English and Spanish. Mil gracias!
Old 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Locked but the lock screen has the option for emergency contact and it's got my husband's info (name/number).

I don't save passwords for banking/financial info, but my email is easily accessable on my phone, and since it would be super easy to do a "forgot password" reset with the email, there is no way I'd feel comfortable having the phone unlocked.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Don't lock and have had phones for 20 years.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #11

If it’s an iPhone be sure to set up the “find my phone” app. I’m not sure what the droid counterpart would be.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
If it’s an iPhone be sure to set up the “find my phone” app. I’m not sure what the droid counterpart would be.
Not only can you find your phone but if you can't recover then you have the option to brick the phone.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Exactly.

The son could have also found his phone via the app.

I have way too much sensitive info on my phone. I have to lock it.

I can brick it remotely if necessary.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiesGirl View Post
Locked but the lock screen has the option for emergency contact and it's got my husband's info (name/number).

I don't save passwords for banking/financial info, but my email is easily accessable on my phone, and since it would be super easy to do a "forgot password" reset with the email, there is no way I'd feel comfortable having the phone unlocked.
+1
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I've never locked but this is probably a good idea. So set up as suggested. PIN number with email and emergency number on the lock screen. I have an android phone fwiw.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #16
gone traveling

Yes I lock, if I lose it I’m not sure if the OP would find it, could be the cartel next time
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #17

I keep mine locked with a lock screen message so good samaritans like the OP can contact me. My phone uses facial recognition to unlock, but I can also use the fingerprint sensor or a swipe pattern.

I use PassWordSafe. Lost a phone about 2 years ago in the Dominican Republic. I used the Google 'Find My Device' function for several days, but it never showed up. I lost it during a driving rainstorm near the beach, so pretty sure it was fried or washed out to sea. I changed all my important passwords in PassWordSafe.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Same thing, "Find my Device."

For the lock screen message, if that's still a thing, just put "ICE:" (In Case of Emergency) and the phone number you want them to contact. Or "If found call:"
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Plus, if you use the Google Pay app (which was Android Pay and something else before that) then you HAVE to lock the phone...no choice in the matter. But, that's not a bad thing, IMHO.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #20

Quote:
I never thought of that, and will implement soon.

I was trained by Megacorp to lock the phone, and still do. As said above, with finger print access it is fairly painless.