Join Early Retirement Today

To Me, This is Sad.........:(
Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To Me, This is Sad.........:(

Amid a New Baby Boom, a Jump in Adult Unwed Mothers

Once again, the real VICTIMS are the children.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

SHould probably be moved to Other Topics...sorry.........

Old 03-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Administrator

OK, did so for you. Thanks for pointing that out.

And yes, I agree that it is sad! The breakdown of families as we know them seems to be eliminating fathers from the equation. Fathers can be a huge influence on many kids and it is sad that all these kids don't have a father. Makes more work for the mothers, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I remember an article in Newsweek (?) in the 70s about the same issue - The title was:
"The death of Shame"
I wish I could find that article - it was great.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I can't imagine growing up without a dad. Of course, my mom died when I was 5, and my dad remarried, because HE didn't want to be alone, and he wanted US to have a mom.........

I already SCARED my kids my telling them if they are ever on national tv in sports, and don't say "HI DAD"!!, along with the standard "HI MOM"!!!!, don't bother asking for money ever again............

Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
gone traveling

Maybe the octomom is skewing the statistics a few base points?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There was no such thing as a sex education class when I went to school.

I had the beejeebers scared out of me when a couple of girls I knew had to "go away" for a while. It's sad when fear keeps you guessing....
Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sweden's rate of unwed mothers is higher (55% in 2003), but it's because many couples there choose to not get married. I wonder if that situation contributes to the statistic here.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I remember an article in Newsweek (?) in the 70s about the same issue - The title was:
"The death of Shame"
It worked for equities. Not so much here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Sweden's rate of unwed mothers is higher (55% in 2003), but it's because many couples there choose to not get married. I wonder if that situation contributes to the statistic here.
I doubt to any great extent. It's true that the marriage penalty is alive and well here in the good ole USA. But, I don't think the number of couples chosing to not wed, despite being parents, just to pay lower taxes is very large.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
There was no such thing as a sex education class when I went to school.
So everyone resorted to good ol' OJT ?
Just kidding...Our sex ed consisted of a 5th grade "Becoming a Woman" class without any sex ed, followed by a senior year of HS Health class. Both were taught by nuns.
My older sister gave me a great book called "The Student's Guide to Sex on Campus" when she came back from her freshman year. This was my best sex ed source ever.
Planned Parenthood was not available to minors, even in liberal NY until you turned 18. Neither were condoms, but there was 1 drugstore pharmacist who didn't ask about age.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well, I did hear boys have cooties....
Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
We do! so do you girls. Ewwww
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
...never heard it called that before.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
...never heard it called that before.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So much for square dancing with the boys...
The Treatment Section here Cooties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is a riot.
I had a deprived childhood - I never got my "cooties shot".
Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"It is not uncommon to hear an infected child on the playground pleading "spray me! spray me!" to his/her classmates."

Lol..that had me giggling at the computer.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
So much for square dancing with the boys...
The Treatment Section here Cooties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is a riot.
As a child of the 1970s, I can assure you that "Cooties Spray" existed before the 1980s.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is anecdotal, but as the father of an unwed mother I have some experience.

We know at least a dozen unwed mothers. With the younger ones (like DD), it is mostly due to the father either bailing completely, or at least deciding he doesn't want to be married. But we also know quite a few older (than late teens early 20s) moms who choose to have babies without getting married. They either do the sperm donor thing, or in some cases ask a guy to get them pregnant with no strings attached. One of the guys stays involved somewhat, but the others aren't in the picture.

I'm not defending the practice, but I think if they did a study about intentional vs. unintentional motherhood, they'd get a lot more concious decisions than you might think.

Personally, I never had a father (divorce at an early age), so I can't say how big a deal it is. You grow up thinking your situation is normal, no matter what it is. You pretty much make your own way in life, and one parent can impart good (or crappy) values as easily as two.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We know at least a dozen unwed mothers. With the younger ones (like DD), it is mostly due to the father either bailing completely, or at least deciding he doesn't want to be married. But we also know quite a few older (than late teens early 20s) moms who choose to have babies without getting married. They either do the sperm donor thing, or in some cases ask a guy to get them pregnant with no strings attached. One of the guys stays involved somewhat, but the others aren't in the picture.
I think DIVORCE is MUCH DIFFERENT than being an INTENTIONAL single mom.

Quote:
Personally, I never had a father (divorce at an early age), so I can't say how big a deal it is. You grow up thinking your situation is normal, no matter what it is. You pretty much make your own way in life, and one parent can impart good (or crappy) values as easily as two.
Well, you DO have a father, whether you have a relationship with him does not change the fact that you DO have a father........