Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
But I often have a cop car behind me (I live near a police station) and I know that cops in my area will leave me alone even if I drive 5-6 mph over the speed limit.
I just set the cruise control to the speed limit +5 and figure nobody's going to bother writing that. I never did when I was in patrol.

But it depends on the area and the agency, and who's doing what when and the phase of the moon. The department I worked for was larger than most (1,000+ officers) and they're usually busy. The traffic guys are detailed specifically for traffic enforcement and may well write it.

Edit: But some smaller departments may have an edict to strictly enforce speed limits. This applies in Shepherdstown, WV, as it was laid out in horse & buggy days and the streets are narrow. Going over 25 WILL get you a ticket. And to be fair to them, they do seem to have more than their fair share of accidents there.

Or they may be detailed there as a result of a number of citizen complaints. If you live on the street where the speeding complaints came from, this is called "being responsive to the community". If you're the recipient of a speeding ticket, this is called "harassing the public".

It's all in one's perspective.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Around here the cops (mostly state police) are either parked behind someone and writing a ticket , or are moving at full throttle. Even in the unmarked cars with the christmas tree lights in the rear window. The township cops usually get you at +10. +5 to + 8 mph is generally ignored.

The small cars with wings and fart mufflers are given a lot less latitude. Their drivers are for the most part seem to be under 22.

Then there are the occasional two car setups one clocking one writing tickets, then move down the road a few miles ad do it again. The local PD gets state funds to run speed/aggressive driving enforcement funds for several campaigns a month. Each lasts a few days.

On long drives I'm usually on +5 to +7 mph cruise control. Plus all of the vehicles I owned showed about +3 mph optimism in indicated speed relative to GPS.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always pass the cop. And I wave when I do. I have never been stopped for doing so. Of course, I'm only going the customary speed which is usually over the speed limit.

However, I was stopped for speeding a couple weeks ago on a rural highway. The officer was telling in detail about the speed limit signs, so I freely admitted that I missed the change in signage from 70 mph to 55 mph. I got off with a verbal. My teenager with the learner's permit thought that I had staged the whole thing to scare them into driving the speed limit. Maybe I did.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
If you do get pulled over, fall on the ground and scream "don't tase me bro!" over and over.
And swallow that roach...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #25

Heard through the grapevine that cities and counties are cracking down more on traffic violations as a means of gaining some revenue since everyone is hurting these days. May be bull but I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Heard through the grapevine that cities and counties are cracking down more on traffic violations as a means of gaining some revenue since everyone is hurting these days. May be bull but I wouldn't put it past them.
I've wondered if we might see an increase in that with localities being cash-starved. Historically I think 10+ over the limit seemed to be the most common threshold for getting busted (i.e. less than that would usually be ignored except in a school zone or other special enforcement zone), but it would be interesting to see if that changes.

When my wife had an accident last May (her foot slipped off the brake while stopped downhill and she crept into the intersection and hit a motorcycle; thankfully no one was hurt) we spent a few weeks expecting to receive a ticket for "failure to yield" in the mail. It never came.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #27

Quote:
I have heard that in many localities, policemen have monthly quotas ($ they must raise through issuing tickets), even in good times.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It's entirely plausible, since the main point of ticketing traffic violations
is to raise revenue. Seriously, you didn't really think that it's primarily
about safety, did you ? Policing is like most other things: follow the
money ! (Sorry to be cynical ...)
Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #29

Quotas are illegal in Texas, but goals are not. Well that is what I read in the paper about three years ago. Leonidas could shed some light on this.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I just set the cruise control to the speed limit +5 and figure nobody's going to bother writing that. I never did when I was in patrol.
We never wrote anyone for less than 10 over the limit. Traffic enforcement was a low priority for the department in general, and in patrol in particular. Except when we were
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
detailed there as a result of a number of citizen complaints. If you live on the street where the speeding complaints came from, this is called "being responsive to the community". If you're the recipient of a speeding ticket, this is called "harassing the public".
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I have heard that in many localities, policemen have monthly quotas ($ they must raise through issuing tickets), even in good times.
Police departments are expensive, even itty bitty ones. Lots of places tell the cops that if they want to keep their jobs they better produce revenue for the city. That's why Texas doesn't allow small towns to keep but a small percentage of their traffic fine revenue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Quotas are illegal in Texas, but goals are not. Well that is what I read in the paper about three years ago. Leonidas could shed some light on this.
Quotas are illegal, but measurements of productivity are not.

Most of the time I was in patrol we never worried about tickets. There were a couple of really slow parts of town where you had to write tickets just to prove you were out doing your job, but most places where the exact opposite. As soon as you signed on the dispatcher hit you with a holding priority call and you ran all night long from one call to the next. It was not unusual to get dispatched to a felony in progress that had been holding for an hour, just because everybody was already out on other similar calls.

But there are a lot of places where it's different.

If you're on the highways of Texas during the last two-three days of the month, you best obey the speed limit. The DPS is in the business of writing tickets, and that's their primary measurement of productivity. And since the state works on a monthly reporting period, the end of the month is when a lot of troopers suddenly realize "I've got to go write some paper or the sarge is going to be all over my butt next week."
Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 AM   #31

Just found out that my friend went to traffic school for 60 in a 40. Not recommended. One mile more over and it would have been a felony.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:37 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I used to always drive about 4-5 MPH over the limit. Years ago we started driving under the limit by 5-10 MPH (usually) to save money on gas. It was a nice surprise to find out how much less "am I going to get a ticket?" stress there is.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:16 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

tooooooooo funny, my wife and i were trying to get down a very busy main street with loads of double parked cars... im getting so frustrated its taking so long... finally made it past the mess and now i got a guy going 15 miles an hour in front of me.

im getting even more frustrated so the next light i squeeze next to him, kind of make my own lane and shoot in front of him after giving him a look..

my wife goes ooooh no , she sees the gumball machine go up on the dash and its 2 cops in an unmarked car..

they pulled me over , ran my license and just told me dont be in such a hurray... good thing i didnt flip him off when i passed them... ha ha ha
Old 03-15-2009, 04:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
tooooooooo funny, my wife and i were trying to get down a very busy main street with loads of double parked cars... im getting so frustrated its taking so long... finally made it past the mess and now i got a guy going 15 miles an hour in front of me.

im getting even more frustrated so the next light i squeeze next to him, kind of make my own lane and shoot in front of him after giving him a look..

my wife goes ooooh no , she sees the gumball machine go up on the dash and its 2 cops in an unmarked car..

they pulled me over , ran my license and just told me dont be in such a hurray... good thing i didnt flip him off when i passed them... ha ha ha
Same thing happened to me - only more so. I topped a hill on a light to moderate day on the interstate - there ahead was a 2 - mile traffic back up going, on average, about 5 mph below the posted limit. But, of course as I attempted to thread my way through the mess, I had to cancel the cruise which I'd set at exactly the SL. (I rarely exceed a reasonable limit.) SO, after threading the needle for 15 minutes, I actually got to the front of the line. That there was a front should have alerted me, but by then I was getting, well, peeved. Sure enough there were two cars, locked in a side by side embrace at (by my spedo) one mph under. It's not that I wanted to go faster, I just wanted away from this traffic disaster waiting to happen. After 30 seconds of waiting for one car or the other to budge, I flashed my lights at the car in the left lane. He took off and pulled in front of the car he had been beside. I didn't cram on the accelerator, but set my cruise for the speed limit. I slowly passed by the "offending" car, only to see his "cop" lights in the back window. Sheeeiiiiiiiish!

Actually got around him and sure enough he stopped me. He asked if I knew why he stopped me. I said "no" which really po'd him. He ran my license and told me not to be so impatient. He had nothing to charge me with so he let me go. I held my tongue but I won't here. As far as I'm concerned HE was the danger on the highway that day. Without him, the traffic would have flowed. A (very) few under the limit, many at the limit and several a little over the limit. Just the way it's supposed to be. With him in the mix, it was a few under with a couple of hundred cars bunched up, just waiting for a chain reaction accident if say a deer decided to bolt across the road (not unusual in that area). Wish I'd had the nerve to tell him what I really thought. If he had not had a gun, I would have.

By the way, I haven't had a ticket in 25 years and I strongly support LE and LEOs (BIL is retired cop, good friend is a cop). Just telling you what happened to me in relation to OP. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #35

I've seen those "rolling roadblocks" a few times, even on big highways. I once saw 3 cars with lights going riding side by side in 3 lanes and going the the speed limit.

Koolau, I would have asked the officer why he pulled me over. Is flashing your lights a crime?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #36

In our part of the country the speed limit tends to be a suggested minimum. Most drive 5 - 15 over. If I were driving under the limit I'd be afaid of being pulled over because they suspected me of drinking or smoking toking.