Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm 8 out of 8. Still alive and well.
+1
And I think about all the Boy Scout camping trips where 20-30 boys of 11 or 12 years of age were all carrying large sheath knives and often a hatchet on their belts. Sloppy hatchet work to make kindling for campfires. Swimming across large lakes with no lifeguards around just because.

A very different world, wasn't it?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
+1

And I think about all the Boy Scout camping trips where 20-30 boys of 11 or 12 years of age were all carrying large sheath knives and often a hatchet on their belts. Sloppy hatchet work to make kindling for campfires. Swimming across large lakes with no lifeguards around just because.

Yes it was....Do something stupid then it was your fault, do something stupid now, it is someone else's fault....Of course some simple safety changes have been added that should boggle the mind why it wasn't used back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Send me a photo of the Jart box. I'll put it on eBay with a reserve of $10,000 and see how high the bids go, LOL! If the authorities come after me, I'll say I don't even have a set, and it's just an eBay infraction. It's way too easy to be a criminal in this day and age.
Ebay will pull it in minutes. I'm almost sorry I posted this. I destroyed both sets last weekend. No way am I being part of a lawsuit.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
+1

Yes and we all remember watching Davy Crockett and others on TV throwing knives and hatchets, so we all practiced that on our scout trips. I got pretty good at throwing my hatchet, not so good with my knife though. On our scout camp outs we were pretty much left to do what we wanted most of the day. Make our own fires, cook our own food, etc. Where I grew up our scout leaders were all Marines or ex Marines, so we were not expected to be watched over all the time. Actually never. A great time to be a kid!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

It sure was.. ruled by the law of natural consequences. If you carried a sharp knife carelessly and injured yourself it was your own stupid fault, not the fault of the knife manufacturer, the retailer who sold it, or the troop leaders. Ditto for other stuff.

Now that said... I concede that there is a bit of good fortune in my being alive today given some of the stupid sh!t stuff that I did in my youth (and I was reserved compared to many). Drunk driving, bb gun fights, etc. (statute of limitations is over) Not only that... I never really even got hurt... no broken bones or anything like that.

If my kids even thought of doing some of the things I did I would have a cow.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #46

Quote:
+1
But OTOH they didn't have to walk three miles in the snow to school, uphill both ways.

All kidding aside, my father took me to visit his family in rural Illinois when I was about 14 years old, and we stayed in his old house where his mother still lived so I got to see that part.

He had always told me about walking three miles to school and I was kind of skeptical, but he showed me his school and it really was about three miles away. No buses in those days, of course, just narrow country roads. The remarkable thing to me was that it was actually a one room schoolhouse, just like he said. He was skipped twice because he was smart, so he only had six years of grade school, and high school was out of the question so that was it for him. He was born a couple of years before the Sopwith Camel was designed and died long after men had walked on the Moon.

Looking back, it has been such an incredible time that I realize I can't even imagine what it will be like when our kids are our age. Simply impossible to extrapolate from our experience.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It sure was.. ruled by the law of natural consequences. If you carried a sharp knife carelessly and injured yourself it was your own stupid fault, not the fault of the knife manufacturer, the retailer who sold it, or the troop leaders. Ditto for other stuff.

Now that said... I concede that there is a bit of good fortune in my being alive today given some of the stupid sh!t stuff that I did in my youth (and I was reserved compared to many). Drunk driving, bb gun fights, etc. (statute of limitations is over) Not only that... I never really even got hurt... no broken bones or anything like that.

Ah yes, the drunk BB gun fights. The good old days.