to sell or not to sell: Jarts

dtbach

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My family is having an estate sale for my parents who recently moved to an assisted living home. They have an enormous amount of STUFF!! While sorting through it all we came upon 2 New, in the box, set of the infamous Jarts!!

OK, what the heck do we do with them?? I understand they are illegal to sell but on the other hand, aren't they a Cultural item from the 70's? I hate to just toss them into the trash but I understand that even giving them away could result in a lawsuit against me if they were used and injured somebody. (like that never happened :()

I wonder if a museum would be interested. Or just make sure that they are destroyed??

I would take them to your local recycling center, where they can separate the metal and plastic components and process them. I do not recommend selling them, since they are banned.

I've seen them for sale at antique dealers.

Bite the bullet and dispose of them. (reminds me of the time my buddy and I got the idea to use a 7/32 hole in a block of wood to fire off 22 shells, dumb and dumber)

Bite the bullet and dispose of them. (reminds me of the time my buddy and I got the idea to use a 7/32 hole in a block of wood to fire off 22 shells, dumb and dumber)

I think you are right. It's against my grain to get rid of a perfectly good antique, but I think they are going into the trash bin (after I remove the dart part) where they really always belonged.

This toy has to be one of the dumbest idea's ever to come out of a toy company. It was a lawyers dream come true.

While cleaning out the garden shed before moving earlier this year I found an original boxed set of Jarts on a back shelf. DW had them as a teenager. They were well used, too!

Got rid of them along with some rusty horseshoes and a really cheap old badminton set.

I remember my brother and I tossing them over the top of the house to see where they would land. And I mean, I was on one side, and him on the other. How I ever got to be 62 years old is a mystery. . . .

I've done similar, and dumber, things. Like dtbach I sometimes wonder why I'm still alive.

We had a set at the lake cabin (which was a trailer house). Great fun. Except that time somebody threw one up in the air and it landed on the roof, bunching a hole in the roof.

I think we didn't get to use them for the next couple years.

I remember my brother and I tossing them over the top of the house to see where they would land. And I mean, I was on one side, and him on the other. How I ever got to be 62 years old is a mystery. . . .
Because both of you were poor throwers?

Interesting thread...Takes me down memory lane, and learned something too. I just thought they lost popularity, never knew they were banned. Went through several sets back in the day and not from using them properly. Whats wrong with me... Slightly annoyed they were banned. I did dumb stuff with ladders, cars, roofs, rocks, slingshots, bb guns, etc. etc. and they didn't get banned. Surviving stupidity is a right of passage. Maybe I took the Social Darwinism lesson a bit too seriously when in school. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jarts? sheesh. Used to shoot arrows straight into the air and lose sight of them till that moment they flipped and headed down. Then picked the direction to run based on which way they turned. Blasting caps, dynamite fuse, primers, powder, homemade cannons that fired hydraulic lifters, battles with cheap primitive Mexican firecrackers with very random and brief fuses..so many stupid things were survived. Only a couple fires which got put out and some deafness for my brother. The odd small scars here and there. I'm with Mulligan - survivors grow up.

The CPSC thing says they "shouldn't" be given away, not that they can't.QUOTE]
+1
I think it is actually only illegal to specifically sell them as per the CPSC, you could do anything else short of that right?
:angel:
I think the law is bad on this one, they are not dangerous in their design, just in their use......so why are we legislating protection for stupid?
How many of us played with them and didn't get hurt?
If only 3 kids died and 6100 people were injured from them are they really actually all that unsafe compared to many other things that a child has access to?
How many warning labels do we need on a ladder?
What about stupid use of a hair dryer in the shower?
Why are we protecting the stupid, aren't we just speeding up our decent into Idiocracy?!
:rant:
:hide:

It makes you wonder how children ever survived the pioneer days of early America.

We used to lay them on the sidewalk and bang them with hammers until my brother got clipped on the edge of the ear. Boys should be locked up until they are 30. Or would that hinder natural selection?

Boys should be locked up until they are 30.

My ex and I only had a girl. She never played with lawn darts, but despite that we were pretty sure that girls should be locked in a closet too, from about ages 11-21 (at which point they would emerge fully mature and sweet). :LOL: Their raging hormones can make raising a teenaged girl pretty hair-raising IMO. But amazingly, now that she is 37 she is a really nice, responsible woman.

Has anyone ever known of someone that was actually HURT with these? I loved them as a kid and I think they were great.

Has anyone ever known of someone that was actually HURT with these? I loved them as a kid and I think they were great.

I haven't - just another example of something bad happening and the rest of us getting punished for it

No, but I remember playing regular darts as a kid, and one of us ended up with a dart sticking out the side of their head. No danger of death, but close to "you could put an eye out!"

I think the law is bad on this one, they are not dangerous in their design, just in their use......so why are we legislating protection for stupid?
How many of us played with them and didn't get hurt?
If only 3 kids died and 6100 people were injured from them are they really actually all that unsafe compared to many other things that a child has access to?
How many warning labels do we need on a ladder?
What about stupid use of a hair dryer in the shower?
Why are we protecting the stupid, aren't we just speeding up our decent into Idiocracy?!

It's a done deal. Forget it and walk on. If they used logic lawn darts would be legal and cars and bathtubs would be illegal.

No, but I remember playing regular darts as a kid, and one of us ended up with a dart sticking out the side of their head. No danger of death, but close to "you could put an eye out!"

It's a done deal. Forget it and walk on. If they used logic lawn darts would be legal and cars and bathtubs would be illegal.

Thats what I would have thought back in the day.....as long as an eye isn't poked out, it will be fine. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom