Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2016, 02:22 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by COHgirl View Post
After reading the posts here, I purchased a 2 million policy from USAA effective today.

My homeowners and auto needed to have their limits increased in order to get this. Each premium increased about $20 a year. The umbrella cost is $130.79.

It basically costs us $170 a year for all the extra coverage.
$130 for $2 million in coverage? That's an incredible price! Really, $130? You must live in a very non-litigious state. Who is the underlying carrier? I have RLI with USAA.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought this thread was going to be about rain umbrellas.

Liability Umbrella: Yes
Rain Umbrella: No
That annoying song about Umbrellas: No

I'm full of opinions today!

SIS

Old 05-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #83
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
$130 for $2 million in coverage? That's an incredible price! Really, $130? You must live in a very non-litigious state. Who is the underlying carrier? I have RLI with USAA.
That is a spectacular price. I have a $2 million umbrella with USAA and it's $610 per year.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #84

I just got my renewal notice this morning - $520 for $2M coverage.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
That is a spectacular price. I have a $2 million umbrella with USAA and it's $610 per year.
It's related to geography more than most other factors, I think.
My $2M umbrella from USAA is $268.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:49 PM   #86
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm in Kansas.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. With gardeners, painters, tree trimmers, housecleaners, etc., on site on a regular basis, it seems prudent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
We have it, 2 mil worth. It costs us around $800 which is not so cheap but still worth it to us.
This seems very high. We pay a bit less than that for a 5M policy.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #88

Quote:
I think it's related to geography in that there is lots of space between cars in Kansas!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

$1M umbrella coverage here for $155/year.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
The Common Wisdom here is very common, probably universal, and very, very wise. Get it.
Also a yes. I didn't get there til at least ten years into ER

heh heh heh - I keep mum relative wise but it is my little ego thing since I was so cheap early and let time in the Market do it's thing. Also Google your state law depending on where you live.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #91

Quote:
Of course it starts with the exposure including number of cars and number of drivers and number of locations insured. Then you add driving records as well.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #92
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have been told by my umbrella insurance carrier that a $1M umbrella insurance policy, coupled with an already-existing auto insurance policy with a $300,000 liability limit, will afford $1,300,000 liability coverage.

Is this common?
Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by aza455 View Post
I have been told by my umbrella insurance carrier that a $1M umbrella insurance policy, coupled with an already-existing auto insurance policy with a $300,000 liability limit, will afford $1,300,000 liability coverage.

Is this common?
Yes. The umbrella policy will supplement the underlying auto/home liability coverage.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #94

That's how they all work. Umbrella coverage is "stacked" above the underlying coverages in your Auto and Homeowners policy. It's one reason you need to be careful when looking at costs from others' posts. A $1 million policy on top of $300,000 limits will cost more than a $1 million policy on top of $500k limits because there are greater potential losses in the layer from $300,000 to $1.3 million than the layer from $500,000 to $1.5
million. Of course, if you've got $500,000 limits on your primary policy you're paying more than the buyer with $300,000 limits.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #95

My USAA/RLI policy never asks about a pool. I thought my rate would increase when we moved into a home with a pool but it didn't. Question related only to number of dwellings owned/rented, watercraft, and many questions related to driving/drivers (age, record).

I bought our policy after sitting on a mock jury for an accident where one person hit another who had properly stopped for a school bus. Someone just not paying attention for a second (before texting really took off) and crash! The person who go hit was rotated and bending (like reaching into the glove box) and had neck and back injuries from the collision. The $$'s for possible lifetime care/therapy was going to be large. I started the process to purchase an Umbrella policy immediately after the mock jury!
Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got a quote from my carrier for $1 mil umbrella, $439/yr. That's with 6 autos and 5 drivers (3 youthful drivers). Current liability limits on auto 250k/500k, home 500k. Hoping 2 of the youthful drivers will obtain their own coverage by end of 2017 and premium will go down. I look at it as 0.0439% per year to protect $1 mil of my assets. Seems reasonable to me.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #97

Yes, well worth it with all those drivers. Especially with 3 that are young. Tons of risk, great price!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2016, 12:25 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

$231 for $2mil think it was about $68 for what was then a $1mil policy 25 yrs ago so rather modest inflation compared to most things hopefully that will continue to be the case. well worth it as my ins co (auto/home/umbrella all with same) was quite helpful 17 yrs ago when I was at first deemed at fault in an auto accident but, with their help and encouragement, was able to bring enough evidence to court to have that reversed not sure the agent would have been as well motivated if I did not have the umbrella
Old 05-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
The real question we should be asking is if these policies will actually protect you. It sounds like you need to be maxed on every other liability policy (and I don't know that we are). My experience with insurance companies is they try very hard not to pay out.

It could be we are paying for peace of mind that we really should not have. But as long as we *think* it protects us, there is some value in the peace of mind even if we are not really protected. But then you should not have read this post as it may have destroyed that value. Sorry.
In this case, the insurance company is working for you in trying not to pay out, rather than against you. You and they have a mutual interest in not paying the lawsuit, so they are working hard with you. Harder, really, since they pay first.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
In this case, the insurance company is working for you in trying not to pay out, rather than against you. You and they have a mutual interest in not paying the lawsuit, so they are working hard with you. Harder, really, since they pay first.
So this theory that insurance companies find an exception for everything is running around here at MegaCorp, and one guy claims all umbrella insurance is bunk since they'll find a way out.

Yet a good friend whose daughter caused a fatal accident had his $1M umbrella pay. Yeah, it was painful. Insurance went to court to not pay, but they represented him, he was never in court. They didn't find any exceptions.

This whole thing confuses me. You know, I did something stupid which caused a lawsuit. The theory here is "You are stupid, so insurance won't pay." But wait, isn't that what accidents are?

Now, if you murder someone or drive drunk, you are felonious. That stupidity is clearly excepted.

Confused...

Tags
umbrella insurance