Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ah local news. All I can say is that when "TrueTV" starts running a reality show on the competition between/daily life of two female news reporters in Greenville Mississippi ....
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Sure, I won't be able to tell you what the Kardashians are up to, but the fact that I am expected to know that just shows how much of today's news is just stupid fluff.
Scan the covers of the tabloids in the grocery store as you're checking out. You don't need to know much more about celebrity lives than that.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #43

Most of the "news" is just fluff. I get my fill watching the teasers during commercial time between programs. You often get just as much substance from the teasers as you do from the actual news program.

I'm also having a difficult time thinking of a news report from the size of a Kardashian bum size to a war in the Middle East that made any difference in my life that I could do anything about. I have enough going on in my life to keep me busy without that.

I do, however, admit to watching McLaughlin Group if I am not busy at the time mainly for the fun banter and sometimes interesting perspectives.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I also got really tired of the local news ploy to keep mentioning and important "story" both pre and during the broadcast. And then at the last minute - it would be super brief! What a waste of time.

I don't watch broadcast TV anymore, but if I happen to catch a "breaking story" headline (usually by walking past some place with the TV on), I simply go look for the story myself instead of sitting captive waiting, and waiting, and waiting.......

Enough headlines pass through various web pages and apps that I rarely miss sometime important and happily ignore most of it.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Today's News "Reporting"

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't watch broadcast TV anymore, but if I happen to catch a "breaking story" headline (usually by walking past some place with the TV on), I simply go look for the story myself instead of sitting captive waiting, and waiting, and waiting.......

Yep. I watch TV with my iPhone close by. No need to wait for the "Film at 11"- just look it up!

In our area a restaurant blew up near my office as I was leaving work (gas leak caused by construction in area; they're all still pointing fingers at each other). I called DH immediately because I was headed to an evening meeting and told him I'd just passed a building in flames but was OK. DS, who doesn't own a TV and lives 3 hours away, found out within an hour. Amazing how news travels now.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #46

Reading the English tabloids usually restores my faith in the US papers.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...near-hit-Earth.

Time to up my withdrawal rate!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Reading the English tabloids usually restores my faith in the US papers.

NASA alert: Asteroid 2014-YB35 wider than 14 football pitches set to skim past Earth | Nature | News | Daily Express.

Time to up my withdrawal rate!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Too late. The article was written on March 25, 2015 and the asteroid was to have hit that Friday. We aren't here anymore.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #48

I am down to watching Al Jazeera news.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
TV "news" is all about selling ads and being entertainment at the lowest denominator.

But...we already kinda knew that did we not?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

As the "boutiquization" of popular media continues into ever smaller political audience groups, I keep hoping that one major outlet will finally decide the best approach is straight, hard news and deeper investigative reporting.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Too late. The article was written on March 25, 2015 and the asteroid was to have hit that Friday. We aren't here anymore.
Although this is kind of an example of lack of info in "news" stories. The asteroid in question passed by about 4.4 million miles from earth, or just under 12 times as far as the moon. Not as close as others recently and no where close enough to justify the inflammatory headlines. But exaggeration gets attention and attention is money in the "news" business.

Likewise, most objective news sources have long given up objectivity to slant the news to their target market. A mostly a true believer audience is stickier, spends more time and comes back more often for more "news" that's slanted the way they like. Objective audiences more interested in facts are outnumbered (greatly?) by partisans and not nearly as profitable to cater to.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:28 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
As the "boutiquization" of popular media continues into ever smaller political audience groups, I keep hoping that one major outlet will finally decide the best approach is straight, hard news and deeper investigative reporting.
Unfortunately, that's a weak business model in the current media market. Investigative reporting is expensive, and it doesn't draw ratings in the broadcast arena -- if it did, PBS' "Frontline" would be the most popular show on TV (check out their recent report on concussions in the NFL).

The biggest producer of investigative journalism in this country is the big-city newspaper, and they are doing less and less of it because they can't afford it.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Pretty much. No one wants to fund investigative journalism anymore. Apparently there is "no money in it". Sad, but true. Any past obligation news entities felt to keep the public informed and function as a "fourth estate" is long gone.

It's not just corporate interests. There has been a massive decline in the traditional print media since the Internet because well established. Circulation and subscriptions way down. TV doesn't have to compete with newspapers anymore. TV news has to compete with the Internet, but so far that doesn't seem to be a problem (or is not perceived as one). At some point they will wake up too, maybe.

Our most popular payment structure for information which is predominantly ad based, thus seeming to be free - which makes people think it's not actually worth money - doesn't help.

I think TV news used to get watchers just because it was on after the prime time programming. They advertise a lot to get people not to turn off the TV when the prime programming is over.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

It's kind of hard to decide how much exposure to news I want. Often I see too much duplication and rehash and tut,tut stuff. But I see that on our forum here too .

Some news sources I use:
1) Local paper - focus on the local section + comics
2) Economist - British slant but pretty exhaustive + digital edition is very good
3) TV, PBS - not as good as it used to be. More of a slant, too focused on US inner city issues, and they don't have those round table interviews which were not "picturey" but informative.
4) BBC on the web: good free world news
5) TV, BBC America: half hour with more of a world view
6) NY Times - can only read about 10 articles per month free but this forces a focus on what seems interesting
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote