Join Early Retirement Today

Tofu Safety Question
Old 04-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tofu Safety Question

Once Tofu has been opened, how long is it safe in the refrigerator?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Tofu: Once you have opened a package of tofu, you should store the unused portion in a container of water, with a tight fitting lid. Tofu should be used within three days from when you first open the package. The water should be changed daily.
From here HGOF - Organics 101: Food Storage Tips

Old 04-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Once opened, less than a week. You can extend the freshness by putting the tofu in another container (with a lid) and changing the water (enough water to cover the whole tofu) every day.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I OK for lunch!

Ha
Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Once opened, less than a week. You can extend the freshness by putting the tofu in another container (with a lid) and changing the water (enough water to cover the whole tofu) every day.
If I discarded tofu a week after opening, I'd throw out more than I eat. YMMV, but I have frequently cooked and eaten tofu two weeks or more after opening the package (and the package might well have been sitting in the refrigerator for a while before I opened it, too). I didn't put a lid on the container, I didn't change the water daily, and I experienced no ill effects of any kind.

If you don't like the idea of eating tofu that's been opened that long, it's possible to freeze it. I don't like frozen tofu, because freezing changes the texture as ice crystals form, but if that doesn't bother you, it's an alternative to letting it sit around until you feel like stir fry for dinner.