Join Early Retirement Today

Told my boss "no"
Old 01-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Told my boss "no"

Now that I'm FI, I'm just consulting a part time, which is sometimes interesting and sometimes annoying but essential to make progress. Earlier today my manager asked me to work on something that's related to my job, but definitely falls into the annoying category. I decided to draw the line and told him I'm not doing it. I don't think I've ever done that before. Feels good. :-) (Part of me hopes they'll decide I'm not worth dealing with so I can wash my hands off the project altogether, even though most of me still would like to see the project to completion.)

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Way to draw the line. I thought about doing this, but I was afraid they would just say OK negating my rationale for ER.

So, what was the reaction?

Old 01-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice!

A few months after I retired, I was asked by my company to come back and help out. I agreed to consult with them for two eight-hours days per week.

When asked several times if I would work more, I simply said "No". After a few attempts they stopped asking. It felt great. I enjoyed working two days on my terms knowing that I could walk away whenever I felt like it.

Financial Independence does that for you.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

I said no a few times in my last 18 months:

Laughed, and turned down expanding my role and my staff (double) with a convincing argument that it wasn't a good fit for me, suggesting someone else better.

Deflected another project that was clearly being dumped on my boss, giving him ammo to similarly reject it (one of those "high visibility" grunt things that is a no-win type thing)

Deflected an audit, etc.

Was liberating, but in each case I was really just telling the complete truth with the appropriate corporate-culture sugar coating, and without the fear that usually traps people into saying yes.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think it matters how you say no....

I remember when they asked me to go work in London for 6 months... they had tried to get me to move to NYC but I always said no to that so they were expecting me to say no to London... I said 'sure'... they were real happy that I did so... worked out great for me... but, if I had said no nothing bad would have happened (well, at that time, but my job back home was eliminated while I was gone, so there is that)....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
So, what was the reaction?
Just said "OK." :-)

Quote:
I think it matters how you say no....
It does. I was polite, and explained my reasoning. Not trying to piss anybody off, just trying to set some boundaries.

Thanks to everybody else for sharing stories.

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote