Join Early Retirement Today

Too funny!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Too funny!

I was out for a ride today and listening to John Gibson on the radio. This clip was played and I burst out laughing. This is probably one of the funniest things I ever heard. I disliked The Odd Couple, refused to watch it back then and wouldn't consider it today so I was surprised that I found anything from that show to be funny much less this funny.

"I can't take it anymore, Felix. I'm crackin' up. Everything you do irritates me. And when you're not here, the things I know you're gonna do when you come in irritate me. You leave me little notes on my pillow. I told you 158 times - I cannot stand little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes. F.U.' It took me three hours to figure out that 'F.U.' was Felix Unger. "

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #2

I guess that shows we all have different tastes in films. I simply loved the Odd Couple. My favorite scene was when Felix and Oscar were sitting in a restaurant and Felix began to clear his sinuses. Classic! Full disclosure: Parts of the movie made me cringe - but I still loved it. Thank for reminding me of that scene. Another classic - and quite racy for the time if you think about it (not so much these days).

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #3

Well it wasn't just the Odd Couple, I never watched much of anything that was on the 3 networks. In the later 60's I was old enough to go out so I never watched tv in the evening and that pretty much applied to the 90's but now you can add Fox along with many cable channels. From 1964-1969 I can only name 4 shows I watched, one or 2 from the 70's, probably nothing from the 80's, 1 from the 90's and nothing since. I do watch cable channels regularly but the stuff on ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox never interested me. That line really cracked me up especially in the way Oscar delivered it.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OMG Veremchuka, I remember laughing my head off so long ago at that line. Something about the utter exasperation in Oscar's voice just hit my funny bone. I don't recall ever actually watching the show itself - just happened to overhear it while my parents were watching it. I must have been in my teens, because I didn't know what "F.U." stood for until I was at least 13. But I wasn't in my teens in the 60's, so maybe it was a rerun!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I was out for a ride today and listening to John Gibson on the radio. This clip was played and I burst out laughing. This is probably one of the funniest things I ever heard. I disliked The Odd Couple, refused to watch it back then and wouldn't consider it today so I was surprised that I found anything from that show to be funny much less this funny.

"I can't take it anymore, Felix. I'm crackin' up. Everything you do irritates me. And when you're not here, the things I know you're gonna do when you come in irritate me. You leave me little notes on my pillow. I told you 158 times - I cannot stand little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes. F.U.' It took me three hours to figure out that 'F.U.' was Felix Unger. "
Old 02-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Well it wasn't just the Odd Couple, I never watched much of anything that was on the 3 networks.
I had no TV in the 1990's. In 2000 when I got one, I had never seen even one episode of any "Law and Order". Even when I had the TV, I didn't really discover that show and start watching it until around 2004.

I found that I really like Law and Order (in all its permutations), and have been enjoying the multitude of reruns.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I had no TV in the 1990's. In 2000 when I got one, I had never seen even one episode of any "Law and Order". Even when I had the TV, I didn't really discover that show and start watching it until around 2004.

I found that I really like Law and Order (in all its permutations), and have been enjoying the multitude of reruns.
I only like the original L&O, but I've watched most of the reruns so many times I can often do the dialogue with the actors on the screen. Call me a civil libertarian at heart, but I find I root for the accused (during the trial phase, anyway) as often as I root for the prosecution. Something about aligning the full power of the state against one person (innocent until proven guilty, mind you) that has a whiff of unfairness to it. The way they set up the story, I would often vote for acquittal if I were on the jury. Often, the story is ambiguous enough that one really doesn't actually know who 'dunnit'. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think that ambiguity is in fact the show's premise, and its attraction. Life is full of twists, and many well-intentioned folks could find themselves in the "bad guy" seat some day without really knowing how they got there.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Often, the story is ambiguous enough that one really doesn't actually know who 'dunnit'. YMMV