Join Early Retirement Today

Too Many Hobbies
Old 09-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Too Many Hobbies

Anybody have too many retirement hobbies?

Weather, waves and tide are perfect for surfing today, but I want to practice piano for a special gig on Friday. I've been meaning to go cut another truck load of firewood, and I have four cords that need splitting. I've got some gardening projects I'm in the middle of, I haven't touched the trombone in a month, I haven't been out in the canoe or fishing once this year, I've got jam to make, six videos out from the library, and books I'm in the middle of.

I know it's stupid, but I feel guilty about missing some of these opportunities.

In writing this, I realize that one thing I should do is limit my time on the Internet.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I know exactly what you mean T Al!

REI just emailed saying that my new kayak has arrived. (Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 - Angler edition) Need to pick that up and contact my paddling buddy in northern Wisconsin to firm up our autumn Peshtigo River trip. But I was counting on spending that time getting some new ham radio antennas up in the air so I have antennas for this winter. Firewood is in place (don't use nearly as much as you) and that took time. A college buddy and his DW spent last weekend with us and we had a ball hitting some top Chicago area restaurants and live music. Time well spent, but spent just the same! The Gibson J45 I haven't played for years still languishes in its case under the bed despite my vow to start playing again. The stack of unread books grows taller despite reading more. The home entertainment system is wired up, but the entertainment center is still pulled away from the wall and the wiring needs to be tidied up. Etc., etc., etc.

Maybe I need to get out my project management software, put together some gant charts, time lines, goal packages, and all that crap and have DW rate me on my task performance for the next quarter or two!

Uhhhh....... wait a minute. What am I saying? :confused:

Time for a nap to rest up for my trip to REI. Hope the stack of unread books on the nightstand doesn't fall over on me!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gosh, it's like you guys are working or something. Must suck!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Anybody have too many retirement hobbies?

Weather, waves and tide are perfect for surfing today, but I want to practice piano for a special gig on Friday. I've been meaning to go cut another truck load of firewood, and I have four cords that need splitting. I've got some gardening projects I'm in the middle of, I haven't touched the trombone in a month, I haven't been out in the canoe or fishing once this year, I've got jam to make, six videos out from the library, and books I'm in the middle of.

I know it's stupid, but I feel guilty about missing some of these opportunities.

In writing this, I realize that one thing I should do is limit my time on the Internet.
How did we ever find time to go to a paying job prior to being FIREd? :confused::confused::confused:
Old 09-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So how was the surfing?

I have the same syndrome, and I blame it all on poor time-management skills.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to spend a couple hours on the Internet researching ways to be more effective with my time...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So how was the surfing?
Actually, I did decide that maybe I should go surfing, but by then the good tide was passed. But I got about 3-4 hours of practicing in, took a nap, got the gardening project done, and did some reading.

Tonight we'll finish watching the excellent video, Vera Drake, and eat the blackberry pie DW made from the berries we picked yesterday.

Work, work, work, work. <-- anybody remember that from Blazing Saddles? I say it all the time, and just now I found a link to the sound file:

Work, work, work....
Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Actually, I did decide that maybe I should go surfing, but by then the good tide was passed. But I got about 3-4 hours of practicing in, took a nap, got the gardening project done, and did some reading.
Well, hey, you had your priorities straight.

Quote:
Work, work, work, work. <-- anybody remember that from Blazing Saddles?
Half my vocabulary comes from Mel's scripts...

"It's good to be ER!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Half my vocabulary comes from Mel's scripts...
Excuse me while I whip this out?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Excuse me while I whip this out?
"Oh no, only a miracle could save us now!"

Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"Oh no, only a miracle could save us now!"
"May the Schwartz be with you."

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
"May the Schwartz be with you."
Hey, between my DVDs and Google I could keep this up all day...
OK, you win!

Old 09-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #12

mmm... surfing ---? practice the piano -----? guess there's no question why my musical career never took off.