Too much controvery on this board

As a Canadian your comment lacks credibility for the USA although I accept the fact that every and all decisions made in the USA don't agree with your opininion -- as far as the next USA election is concerned. :)

are you saying that non-US citizens' opinions of the actions of the US government lack credibility? Why? If it's an educated and well-reasoned comment, why wouldn't it be credible? The actions of the US intensely affect Canada and other countries, so you can't even really argue that they don't have a "dog in the fight."

I haven't noticed many Americans being reluctant to criticize the Canadian medical system or the actions of the Iranian government. Are comments like that credible? What exactly makes something credible?

are you saying that non-US citizens' opinions of the actions of the US government lack credibility?

2B, it just occurred to me that you might have been joking (not sure how back in your post the "field" of the smiley extends).

If so, please disregard my blathering.

Of course, you can disregard my blathering anytime you choose anyway :)

2B, it just occurred to me that you might have been joking (not sure how back in your post the "field" of the smiley extends).

If so, please disregard my blathering.

Of course, you can disregard my blathering anytime you choose anyway :)

You're not on my "ignore list" so I'll reply. The comment was about "needing more checks and balances." Since he was a Canadian, he doesn't get to vote so his opinion is pretty much irrelevant on changing anything here. I was joking but poking at a bit. I wasn't trying to be ugly. :)

I them gave a mini-sermon on why the USA's 3 separate branches is more likely to have a more effective "checks and balances" than the Canadian (British Model) parlimentary form of government.

If Labour is in, then the whole of the executive and legislative branch are all in the same party and much more likely to march together than in the USA. There was a US president that was actually expelled from his political party due to all the conflicts generated.

You're not on my "ignore list" so I'll reply.

I'm honoured. :)

I them gave a mini-sermon on why the USA's 3 separate branches is more likely to have a more effective "checks and balances" than the Canadian (British Model) parlimentary form of government.

Well, the proof is in the pudding. With the exception of handgun possession, I would say that I experience more freedoms in Canada than in the US. I don't have to go to "free speech zones" to protest the PM, I can travel to Cuba on my Canadian passport without fear of legal action, and I feel far less likely that the government is listening in on my phone calls.

Since I am a dual citizen and pay taxes to both countries, by your criteria, I'm allowed to have an opinion on both places.

It's my opinion that the US would be a better place if the citizenry and government got MORE into the habit of taking the opinion of other countries and their citizens more seriously. Good ideas, even those about America, don't HAVE to originate in America. The checks and balances under discussion are being systematically dismantled in the US while everyone waves flags.

Since I am a dual citizen and pay taxes to both countries, by your criteria, I'm allowed to have an opinion on both places.

You are allowed an opinion anywhere you choose to post. In fact, it is refreshing to hear diverse opinions. Readers are allowed to agree or not, hopefully with grace.

I'll pay him his 50 cents in installments...two cents worth at at time! :)

You owe me 50 cents, not some trumped up annuity (2 cents at a time :rolleyes: )!!!

Speaking of annuities, I've been thinking about buying one. They look like really great investments. The helpful financial advisor (old family friend, great guy by the way) selling me one within my IRA told my that I would get the S&P 500 return plus 3 percent in a good year, and in a bad year, I was still guaranteed 6% interest. I don't want to start any big fights or nasty discussions, but what are you guys' opinions on the pros and cons of annuities? Oh, by the way, I'd be funding this annuity with proceeds from a mortgage refinance I'm thinking about getting. My house is paid off now, but I can get a 5.75% fixed loan at 30 years and figure the annuity will outperform this interest rate even in bad years. Win-win-win, right?

(yes, some elements of this post may contain trace amounts of sarcasm and was manufactured in a facility that produces sarcasm and facetiousness)

You are allowed an opinion anywhere you choose to post. In fact, it is refreshing to hear diverse opinions. Readers are allowed to agree or not, hopefully with grace.

Have you cleared that announcement with the moderators/managers?

Seems to me that everyone is entitled to air an opinion.

One expressed in the absence of or contrary to available facts appears to invite some dispute.

Subsequently turning into a dick because a factless or fact-fighting opinion is questioned seems to be frowned upon...particularly the fifteenth or sixteenth time it happens.

Have you cleared that announcement with the moderators/managers?

It is always easier to get forgiveness than permission........