Join Early Retirement Today

Too old to be cold...
Old 10-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Too old to be cold...

Woke up at 5:30AM chilly - yeah I am an early riser. I thought man it is cool in this room, never should have put that ceiling fan on. Got up went downstairs slipped on a sweat shirt and I set the larger Yotul gas stove thermostat to 69 - whoosh the stove came on. Made a cup of coffee and settled into my easy chair next to the stove. Later I see it is in the 40s outside. Thought to myself man that radon evacuator gas fan is loud... Later in the day the Mrs is cleaning "Ray why is there cold air coming out of the vents" We turned the AC off weeks ago - I think oh no what now? I go into the basement and sure enough the furnace fan is running. It appears someone set the fan to On rather than automatic and it has been on for three weeks ...

For most of the winter my gas stoves heat the house: the furnace is only set to come on in the morning to warm up the upstairs bathrooms - it doesn't come on for the rest of the day. Those stoves are a joy.. Heat where you are - the dog and I sit as close as we can to them. This old man hates the cold and the thought of another Pennsylvania winter

Exactly where is the warmest place in the US in the winter? Some relatives are stopping over on their way south...they sold the house and plan on renting until they decide if Florida works for them... I want to trade places with them I look out and see a grey sky and a lawn full of wet leaves...what a joy.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

Exactly where is the warmest place in the US in the winter...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

I read somewhere that Key West has the highest average yearly temp in the US. Probably fairly nice in the winter also.

I know that it is nicer than Illinois, although I've never been to Key West.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I read somewhere that Key West has the highest average yearly temp in the US. Probably fairly nice in the winter also.

I know that it is nicer than Illinois, although I've never been to Key West.

Key West,

Nice place in the winter. It's October, time for Fantasy Fest. I've never been at FF, a friend did he claimed it was pretty wild. Here's the official website for fantasy fest.

http://www.fantasyfest.com

There's another much more enjoyable side(imho) to Key West. Lot of history, fishing, diving, and great food.

Love the Keys but it's expensive. FIL had a great home on Marathon key, he owned it until shortly after Hurricane Andrew. There was no damage but he had such anxiety over attempting to evaluate he quickly sold.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #4

I use to see how long I could delay turning on the furnace for the season.

During the last few years, this has been tough. Then I realized that this is a game for someone who has not yet ER'd and is still spending their days at the (heated) workplace. LOL #wisdom.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I use to see how long I could delay turning on the furnace for the season.

During the last few years, this has been tough. Then I realized that this is a game for someone who has not yet ER'd and is still spending their days at the (heated) workplace. LOL #wisdom.

-gauss
I still delay turning the heat on as long as possible. Being Wisconsin it usually gets turned on before the end of October despite my best efforts. Parts of my place have already fallen to 64 degrees but i'll let it go at least another week. Heat is expensive around here at almost .14/kwh

Key West is great in the winter. I went there for NYE a couple years ago and it was in the 60's at midnight. Too expensive for me to stay there all winter but it's where I would be if it was affordable.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.weather.com/news/news/hot...nuary-february

The above article on weather .com says Laredo, Texas, which reached 103F during wintertime.

However, I think this article is are looking at the extreme temperature for various locations rather than a winter mean. My hunch is that Key West indeed has the warmest mean winter temperature.

It's not New Orleans. Rarely, we may even have a light snowfall here sometime in the winter. I would guess that about 1/3 of winters are warm enough that I never get around to turning on the heat.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Too old to be cold...
Old 10-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #7

Too old to be cold...

Exactly where is the warmest place in the US in the winter?

Mexico.

Sorry smart a$$ answer but places like Puerto Vallarta are very nice, warm, inexpensive, and welcoming. I'm thinking of wintering there after I retire as I'm getting more and more cold intolerant the older I get.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Even if Key West doesn't have the highest high temp i'm certain it has the highest average low temp in the winter.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm near Chicago, Winter's no fun here either, though it could be worse. The rest of my family is in San Antonio, Summer is no fun there. Pick your poison? Or get ready for a high(er) cost of living as we all know...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm near Chicago, Winter's no fun here either, though it could be worse. The rest of my family is in San Antonio, Summer is no fun there. Pick your poison? Or get ready for a high(er) cost of living as we all know...
Good point.

I love the weather in New Orleans, year round, on average. So for me, this is the best climate in the 48 contiguous states I can think of right now.

In the summertime it gets a little brutal due to the humidity, but we have AC. Also I have spent summers here with no AC and it is OK with me. At least you don't DIE without climate control like in some northern locations. That sort of climate is completely unreasonable to me. I am not a "prepper" but gee, it gives one pause to think about being so dependent on modern conveniences.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Better to live in a place where there is a "heat index" rather than a "wind chill factor." IMHO, of course

Rich
Boston to So. Florida
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #12

My original "retirement plan" was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup and drive south until people started asking what that machine was for. DW didn't want to go that far from family and in hindsight I guess she was right.

But it's still a nice dream.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #13

Hawaii if you want a state, or the USVI if you include territories. (one could possibly include Guam or American Samoa as well)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

My hometown isn't the warmest in the winter, but it's fairly tolerable.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Santa Barbara CA appears on many lists as the best climate in the USA. Take big bags of money, lots of 'em!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Santa Barbara CA appears on many lists as the best climate in the USA. Take big bags of money, lots of 'em!
IMO, the low temperature drops too low for too much of the year. San Diego is 10 degrees warmer at sunrise all winter. 55 is MUCH better than 45.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #17

Key West may be the warmest in the winter - but it's miserably hot and humid in the summer... (At least by my spoiled POV.)

Different people have different preferences. DH grew up in Philly and has no problem with heat and humidity, but hates the cold. When I lived in Philly, I loved the winters but HATED the summer's heat and humidity. I'd rather bundle up than live my life sweating or inside dependent on AC.

But I was born and raised in San Diego - like I said... spoiled. If you are close enough to the coast in San Diego, the temperature swings are pretty mild. Daytime temps in the high 50's in the coldest of winter are uncommon enough... 60's is more typical for January. Unfortunately, we've been having hotter, more humid summers the last few years... Temps in the 90's for a few weeks on end are no longer unusual.

But - its not cheap here. Key West is probably cheaper. Having owned homes in both PA and San Diego - you better bring a lot of cash to live here...
Old 10-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Places that have nice climate are expensive, and crowded too. If you want to avoid the crowd, then it takes a LOT of money.

I am willing to give up a bit of comfort to have something that I can afford. And in my case, I get two houses for what it costs for one in the nicer climates. And each of my homes is nicer to boot.

Commuting about 145 miles (2-1/2 hours, 1400-ft to 6900-ft elevation) between them is not too bad, and gives me a change in scenery too. If I want to sip Cognac watching snowfall in the winter, I can just jump in my car and drive, not even having to bring toothbrush.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I find it best to just adjust. Adjustments, even moderately stressful ones, are generally good for people. I lived 10 years in the coastal NE, then 4 or 5 in California, then many years in or around Seattle. I am fine here, and I am sure that at my age I would be fine any of those other places too. Today, with shoe fitments like Yak-Trax, older people have much less worry about falling and breaking something than in the past. It's not like North Dakota and Wyoming and Maine have no older people. Maine has one of the oldest average populations in the US. Maybe even the oldest. I remember cross country ski-ing on logging roads here in WA, and being passed uphill by pretty old guys who were in better condition than I.

One thing that is a lot easier about living in town here in Seattle than out in the country is that I don't lose electricity for multi weeks periods like in the past. That takes energy and good spirits to pitch in and do what has to be done

Ha
Old 10-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I made a vow to embrace this Chicago winter. We'll see how that works out. Having said that, I think the furnace is the most underappreciated and obviously most hardworking appliance in our house. I think I'll give it a Christmas present.